Transplanting Autos to site. Good or bad idea?

GuerillaOG

I was gonna run a few autos for the 1st time this year (STILL SHOPPPING FOR STRAINS) and i am under impression that autos can't be transplanted or at least its not a good idea as they can't take much stress. 

I usually start photos in a green house and wait for a few weeks before taking them to site? Can i do the same with Autos? 

Thanks gorillas  x 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Shumroom said:

Yes you can :) 

So do you think "Not transplanting auto flowers" is a myth? or is there any truth to it? 

Cheers 

• Like 1

Yeah, you can transplant autos but be careful not to disturb the roots too much. Any time from 3-5 weeks is good, certainly before they start flowering (usually week 5/6). 

Main risk with autos is a cold snap might stunt them, then they rarely recover (depends on the strain to some extent). Because they only last about 100 days from seed, they don't have time to recover like full season photos (or even fast/early versions).

• Like 5

How many and how far they got to travel will dictate how old to let them get before taking them out.

Depending how long you are gonna keep them around will dictate your pot size, as the guys have said, dont let them get root bound or they will initiate flowering.

Longer you keep them = bigger pots= more hastle to transport = fewer plants.

I usually get them to 14-16 days and get them out . That way I can manage a bunch . And they will just spend the next 3-5 weeks rooting out the ground(Or bottomless pot in my case).

• Like 3

large.P1010859.JPG.4d287406bb61d4362a21d8cea7147e1a.JPGAuto roots in peat pots after harvest, each plant gave several ounces, 

• Like 12

23 minutes ago, Ch@ppers said:

peat pots

This.

Try and get actual peat pots , like the jiffy white peat ones rather than shitty cardboard knock offs :yep:

:yinyang:

• Like 2

large.5A586030-F0D6-47FA-8DBC-2E246C1F77D4.jpeg.c34b6b380dd7e76b279cb0909af0f652.jpeglarge.Screenshot_20230117_165032_com.android.chrome_edit_2666204907925.jpg.ccbce23d1a251e71b2a81a9b4f52fe7d.jpglarge.Screenshot_20210618_154206.jpg.6c8eaf8ed82c7c62e43e97505d2a574d.jpglarge.user462206_pic2030818_1587573012.jpg.d4c7c70746ad410414c11269069a3363.jpg

29 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

Try and get actual peat pots , like the jiffy

We have a lifetimes supply. 

• Like 7
  • WOW 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I cant comment on anything outdoors, but as for not transplanting autos that "Saying" has become the normal thing because you have a limited timeframe to get the maximum yield you can, not because trasplanting will out right kill them off etc. Its the same for topping them, it works fine but just a better yield if you bend them over with some LST.

Every time you stress or do damage the plant will need to recover, may take 3 days may take a week or so depending on what's happened. So if you stress an Auto you have taken some of your limited timeframe and wasted it on a recovery period / stunted growth.

Trasplanting is fine its about timing and avoiding stressing the plant in any way. If possible make sure they are in a pot big enough from the off that they wont root out before you move them, 1 or 2 litre maybe, and I'd personally want them in their final spot before 3 weeks from day 1 sprouting. Maybe a little longer if you go for a more Sativa / Haze 11-12 weeker Auto but for the avg 9-10 weeker once they're 3 weeks they start to want to go into bloom and transplanting after this point IMO would cause slow growth and a noticeable loss of yield.

Ive just done two crops of 12 autos each crop and they aren't as flakey as some say they are, hardy little bastards tbh, but it dont take much once they're in bloom mode to piss them off.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GreenVision said:

Ive just done two crops of 12 autos each crop and they aren't as flakey as some say they are, hardy little bastards tbh,

Yup, the auto of today doesn't need the mollycoddling lowryder did back in the day. 

• Like 9

Last season i used peat pots , same as above. Grew them under led for a week then transplanted them in the peat pot directly into final pots in my greenhouse , piece of piss 😃

• Like 7

41 minutes ago, CustardVape said:

piece of piss 😃

I love those words, remind me to tell you a story one day that began with those very words 🙂 have a great 2024 season CustardVape. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, GreenVision said:

but it dont take much once they're in bloom mode to piss them off.

Aye, and seems to me due to their short lifecycle it happens fucking quickly too! 🤨

• Like 2

No expert but i usually start autos in 9cm plastic pots and out at 10-12 days from up.

As long as night time temps are double figures at plant out they will do alright i found a cold snap will feck em up though.

• Like 10