Is It Safe? ~ Ventilation

Chal

Quicky, please, people: My tent will probably not be removable, once the door to my Grobe goes on. I'm alright with that. The Grobe is to be a solidly riveted structure too. I get one shot at this! ;) 

Question is this: I have a lower 'window / vent panel' in my tent. Standard flap on the outside. Yeah? That's going to be my Intake.

It will be okay, won't it, to have that 'hole' ~ which I'll be making, through the Grobe wall ~ to be for ever 'open'? As in, 'Flap Down'. (I may even just slice it off. Either way) Only, I'm fixing an air vent cover to the Outside. Louvre one. That too'll be riveted on.

Not the end of the world, obviously. I'm sure I could lash up a new 'flap', inside, should I ever get an urge to starve the tent of as much oxygen as possible. I just can't fathom a reason for ever doing that. Have I over looked one?

As long as light doesn't poor in through the vents/intake flaps/whatevers then you should be fine mate. In winter in can be handy to extract from the bottom and intake from the top, helps keep the warmth in a bit, so that might be worth thinking about before you finalise your plans. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, MindSoup said:

As long as light doesn't poor in .....

Shit!  Of course; Light! :wallbash: I never saw That coming. Thanks!

Okay; So, how does one ventilate, with the outer flap down, exposing  the mesh inner covering, without the light problem? (Can light even get Through a louvre? Forgive me if I'm asking 'stupid / obvious' stuff here. Thinking on my feet as my nicely progressing work throws up these little niggles)

Knee jerk reaction then is; 'Is there another type of vent cover I can get? Light proof, but ventilating.'

To help ye out: I'm looking at 2" thick material. Steel sandwiched 'Kingspan'. basically. Obviously, a 'window' sized hole, cut through that and left uncovered would Look disgusting. And let light in, unless I put the flap up ~ blocking the air intake! Fucking riddle, to me! :unsure:

You need some sort of "light baffle", the louvred vents might just about do the job. You can also use a length of duct in an s shape, or a contraption made of cardboard or wood or sheet metal. 

Ooooooor 

If you want to be fancy/lazy (and by lazy I mean spend hrs on your phone/pc instead of getting off the sofa for 15 minutes) have a look for the secret jardin light baffles, purpose built, brilliant bits of kit. Could probably make one yourself out of a few louvred vents, you'll see what I mean when you're looking at one. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 5

I've got some generic cooker hood carbon filter sheet in the louvre on my cupboard door, it blocks light well but still lets a load of air through without taking up much space.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I've seen some cardboard box arrangements for tents mesh vents done online that use this idea, some without the extra middle wall.

Light_Baffle.jpg

On my wardrobe grow project i have used 4inch vent Louvred Wall Vent Grille with Flyscreens, and then cut some Fish tank carbon filter sheet and inserted them into the backs, These are my hardboard back intake vents.

612jJLyAkYL._AC_SL1250_.jpg

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, latigid aikon said:

I've got some generic cooker hood carbon filter sheet .....

:yahoo: You Absolute Fucking Beauty!!!!! :D

£12.50, from Major Tom! Shit tons of it! Spare bit of 2 x 1". Stanley knife and my Stapler .... Next! :notworthy:

This solution needs pinning, or something! I'd been reading about SJ ones. Digging around for 'Dark Room Air Vents'. Eyes were bleeding. Then, it said ye'd replied and Boosh! I'm sorted! :thumsup:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Military Grade said:

Fish tank carbon filter sheet

Another lovely little thinker! :D Thanks, Grade; Pipped to the post, mate. But, Fuck Yeah, eh? 👍

• Like 2

You'll need to keep the cooker hood filter clean with regular vacuuming.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, inceywinceyspider said:

You'll need to keep the cooker hood filter clean

16 x 48" sheet, for £12,50? How many's that? Eight of them? At That price, I'll rip them off and replace with fresh ones! Cheaper than fucking hoovering! 😂

Seriously though; Thank you very much for the heads up! Ye've just solved me Another problem, particular to this one ~ probably rather unique ~ point of detail!

I won't go into that here. Very idiosyncratic matter. I'd needlessly bore everyone. And, I've just 'Sparked Up'! :thumsup:

In this situation, active intakes work best but you probably don’t have a smaller fan and/or controller. Also, cooker hood material isn’t the best long term solution compared to the secret jardin 150mm baffle, which fits nicely, comes apart for cleaning, prevents most bugs and is 100% lightproof. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You can tell I'm a big fan of the Secret Jardin baffle..zero light leaks and tight in a felt lined 150mm hole they don't need securing (easy removal), ready made, no painting, bug catching, easy disassembling and cheap. The cupboard growers best friend. 🥳

large.IMG_2477.jpeg.5ae7b04d8ace9b99dbb95109381cf15b.jpeglarge.IMG_2468.jpeg.f3753be13d22a1cff3f5ed016d82945a.jpeg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Slippy One said:

In this situation, active intakes work best but you probably don’t have a smaller fan and/or controller.

Sadly, don't have a Dehumidifier, Slips. I'm sure one of Those would exponentially up my game too. Certainly light years ahead of that old window sill! :D

Actually? While I certainly haven't got a Controller ~ Just yet! Early days, mate. 'Brian's Buttons' ~ I'm well aware of their existence. And I keep them in my peripheral vision. 'Lesser' things to worry about, right now. Such as getting any air In there, in the first place! Got to cut a new 'Lid' yet. Fucked that up 🙄

But, yeah; No way I'd be flashing the fan I Have in she showers! 4" something. Came as the 'all in' with my 27" SF 'Kit'. In fairness? It's been sat in a 'humid' room, for ever. If, when I plug it in for the first time, it farts, shits and dies? Cest la vie. I'm fully prepared to chuck it and buy something half decent. That Really Is the one bit of kit I've somewhat curled my lip at, since before it even arrived.

Regards Jardan, or any of the other 'Ready Made' things I looked at? Silly prices ~ of the other shit. Never even Saw the price on SJ ~ aside? Would ye believe the SJ goes straight out the window. Simply because it's Round? Bottom line is: I want Rectangular.

I want a rectangular hole, with a rectangular Grill over it. And, I can much easier make such a hole. And the (Practically 'disposable', at that price!) Filter(s) to pop in it.

There! Ye see? Even as I typed that, I saw, in my minds eye: I'll have to screw my nice, 'Ventilation Grill / Cover' over the hole / filter, from the outside. Not rivet it, as I'd envisaged. Because, clever cunt here has just realised:

There's no way I'd be pulling the entire fucking ~ dead snug fitting ~ tent, complete with all that goes inside her! Out of that fucking Grobe, every time I wanted access to the 'Filter Block'! See? Completely bespoke and organic, this job. I have to remain adaptable to what ever shit it next throws at me.

Unscrewing half a dozen screws, whilst knelt beside the grobe? Or, taking the fucking door off and trying to drag / shuffle the whole tent out of what fits like a rubber glove? Not a hard decision, is it? 😐

Appreciate the over sight though! Just what I'm posting shit for :) Funny, how I hunted till my eyes bled, yesterday. Only place I could find Brass rivets was China or India. Fucking wholesale! (Brass vent cover, see?)

Now, ye've made me see how rivets would have ruined me! Nice, dome headed, brass, slot screws it'll be! :D

Interested to know more about ye thoughts on fans, mind ..... 🤔

Thanks!

You never had the thought of ditching tent inside a drobe idea, just keeping the drobe?

• Like 1