Sardines?

fidelandche

Been searching for different nutrients which are easier to buy and came across another forum where one member was saying that they use one tin of sardines per plant and that's the only thing they use apart from water and their crop is good.

Has anyone used this method? Or is it just a load of shite? 

• Haha 1

Heard of gardeners burying a dead fish below the roots of various outdoor plants but it's usually a fresh fish or fish heads not tinned sardines, they are salted to fuck. It would also stink if it was done indoors. Rotten fish would be in the run off.

Forgive me if I'm remembering wrong. But, isn't " Blood, fish and bone " a form of fertiliser about as old as farming?

I know I used to sprinkle some dried blood around some plants. Just because I somehow ended up with a box of it. They grew like fucking Triffids!

2 minutes ago, Chal said:

Forgive me if I'm remembering wrong. But, isn't " Blood, fish and bone " a form of fertiliser about as old as farming?

I know I used to sprinkle some dried blood around some plants. Just because I somehow ended up with a box of it. They grew like fucking Triffids!

I think you are correct about this being an old fertiliser.

You can buy blood, fish and bone in garden centres, I'm not sure I'd want to use it indoors in pots, I think it's very strong. Might be worth a go though, would be good to know how it works out. I think it's quite common in outdoor grows, as in when prepping a hole.

I don't think i'd bury a tin of sardines, I'd just eat them myself.

So like a home made fish mix? 

It does sound whacky at first glance, but fish and fish products have been used as fertiliser since the beginnings of agriculture, so it's not actually that weird of a thing to suggest. 

I'm sure you could probably use it, how well it would work is another matter, I  imagine you'd want to make sure they weren't the ones that come in oil/brine/tomato sauce. 

52 minutes ago, KC said:

You can buy blood, fish and bone in garden centres, I'm not sure I'd want to use it indoors in pots, I think it's very strong.

I used just the blood in my pots. Mate who put me onto it did mention it's some Hot shit, and to go easy with it. Grew like weeds though! ('Like Weeds, Carl!!!' 😂)

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, MindSoup said:

So like a home made fish mix? 

It does sound whacky at first glance, but fish and fish products have been used as fertiliser since the beginnings of agriculture, so it's not actually that weird of a thing to suggest. 

I'm sure you could probably use it, how well it would work is another matter, I  imagine you'd want to make sure they weren't the ones that come in oil/brine/tomato sauce. 

Yeah, like fish mix.

I suppose with the different nutrients that the fish contain "would" help the grow? 

This seems to suggest that using fish mix will help the grow

And this one you do have to scroll down to find the bit about using sardines.

Nitrogen comes from fish. There is literally a cannabis feed called biobiz fish mix. Loads of people have used it over the years on these boards, it's smelly stuff but very effective. There's nothing groundbreaking about using fish as feed. Even burying fish, it's an old gardeners trick from a long long time ago

• Like 3

Maybe frozen cod in the nutrient tank then, keep temps down and adds some fish :fish:

• Haha 3

On 27/03/2024 at 16:09, fidelandche said:

This seems to suggest that using fish mix will help the grow

Usually folks get aquarium and water with that,sardine stinks like crap i think you will change your mind once you try lol

Fish mix bb is great

stuff like fish/animal products are usually put through hydrolysis first. Just sticking raw fish in a pot would probably do nothing (till it composted, but that probably takes longer than a crop) apart from make for a not pleasent smelling grow room.

• Like 3