Red purple stems

Nate420MP

I have noticed a couple of weeks that my stems started to turn purple/red been giving my plants the correct ph level of nutritions and feed. Thought my problem was magnesium deficiency used magnesium nutrients to remedy the issues but the colouring is slowly spreading more and more. Plant other wise health and not showing any sign of stress. I’m in late flower only have 3-5 weeks left. Unfortunately I’ve mixed the seeds. Strain either white widow or northern lights both auto flower. Will this discolouring in the stems change the outcome of my yield or effect it any way? I’ve also checked to see if it was possibly a phosphorus deficiency but I’m not to knowledgeable on that. Fan leaves showing no sign of nutrient burns. 

Some will say it's nutrients, some genes, I reckon it's a combo of reasons. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Nate420MP said:

Fan leaves showing no sign of nutrient burns. 

Your good then ,it wont affect yield

Also too much light can cause this, One way to tell if the light is the casue is that it's only purple/red on the sun facing sides.

• Like 2

Sunburn lol 

I’ve noticed that at 18 hrs of light over 200 umol/s/m2 can start to turn your stems red. 

• Like 2

ive had red stems on a few different strains . i reckon if all your feeds and temps are in line its just a genetic trait.

my #1 and ghetto both showed reddish stems.

oddly this was just under LEDS, not hps so maybe the intensity was too much for them.

i dunno...

• Like 1

If the dark phase is cool enough, it can happen. Mine are bright purple. Mine have been vegging about  12-15c at night.

large.RedStems.jpg.d1c453cf89fc2ae001f773b1ef793cf6.jpg

6 hours ago, catweazle1 said:

If the dark phase is cool enough, it can happen. Mine are bright purple. Mine have been vegging about  12-15c at night.

large.RedStems.jpg.d1c453cf89fc2ae001f773b1ef793cf6.jpg

12-15 is far too low a temp for lights out, you might want to aim for 20 odd degrees as a minimum.

get a heater in there asap.

its already affecting the plant, going by the pic above, leaf edges showing it.

sort it out or you will run into further problems mate.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, badbillybob said:

12-15 is far too low a temp for lights out, you might want to aim for 20 odd degrees as a minimum.

get a heater in there asap.

its already affecting the plant, going by the pic above, leaf edges showing it.

sort it out or you will run into further problems mate.

Part of the objective is to give the plants a hard time. This  is just going to seed not bud. The one curling up probably won't make the cut. I've already killed off at least 50 in the earlier stages. They'll be flowered over 20c. I'm just rooting out before flipping.

Edited by catweazle1

22 hours ago, Nate420MP said:

Thought my problem was magnesium deficiency used magnesium nutrients to remedy the issues but the colouring is slowly spreading more and more.

If your plant can't take up Mg there's little point in throwing more Mg at it. Red stems can be normal depending on the genetics but if they are red due to Mg deficiency it's best to use a foliar spray with Epsom salts so they get their Mg through the leaves. You should see a difference within about a week.

49 minutes ago, catweazle1 said:

Part of the objective is to give the plants a hard time. This  is just going to seed not bud. The one curling up probably won't make the cut. I've already killed off at least 50 in the earlier stages. They'll be flowered over 20c. I'm just rooting out before flipping.

why would you want to give them a hard time and open them up to deficiencies....thats mad

• Like 2