Muntjac, friend or foe?

Slippy One

Any growers know if these deer are weed eaters? I have experience with big fuck-off antler beast deer breeds which needed a fence, but these guys don't look too bad, nothing a metal bunny cage couldn't fix, right? 

large.IMG_0023.JPG.70638f09973be8660dd3f9040b8b354a.JPGlarge.IMG_0025.JPG.870425e49375eb30aa12db35d5a7fa79.JPGlarge.IMG_0142.JPG.ef0d1be1e9c5b8823a1210ac1e619b75.JPG

It's right next to a river, chock full of nettles, so almost the perfect spot he hopes.. :D 

• Like 3

That’s a beauty of a spot Slip. I had a similar plot next the river last year and had muntjac come through all the time, no problem at all with them. Me nan always complains about the one that comes in her garden and eats her plants though (not canna I should add lol)

• Like 2

I can't help with Guerrilla Growing advice, but they are cool pictures, when i've ever seen one of them in RL it was always very quick and brief that could never get a good look, They funny looking things

Edited by Military Grade
Put wrong word
  • Like 2

Their bark is horrible, sounds like some sort of devil dog. Remember night fishing with a mate when were kids. Set up under a little brolly in a wooded area. Middle of the night something comes crashing through the undergrowth and comes right up behind the brolly, then it paused, panting heavily for what seemed like forever but was probably just seconds. Eventually I’ve jumped up out of the brolly, whacked the head torch  on and screamed at the unseen beast! I don’t know who jumped higher, me or mr muntjac lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Weed eaters like most deer. I  mentioned these 2012 season in my diary had a plot semi cleaned out. Put a trail cam up worrying someone had found it and was these fucks clearing it out.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Devon Cream said:

Weed eaters like most deer. I  mentioned these 2012 season in my diary had a plot semi cleaned out. Put a trail cam up worrying someone had found it and was these fucks clearing it out.

Oh fuck. This plot isn't mine, it's a friend living in Worcs, I'll tell him he needs to build a proper fence. He was hoping they weren't a weed pest, this confirms they are.   

@Military Gradethey're fucking weird looking right? And I've never seen one in person. Ever. Mind you, I've never seen a badger or a beaver in the flesh either. Must be plenty of badgers near Worcs? lol

• Like 1

He will have to build high fence not sure on muntjac but other species can clear 7ft fences . And if there’s muntjac there be other species about can fit thru small holes as well with ease.

Interesting to read your experiences @Devon Cream I literally had a trail going through that plot I mentioned and I can honestly say not 1 of 30 plants got touched by them. No big fence, just standard individual cages. Slugs on the other hand though was a different matter lol 

5 minutes ago, Aphatspliff said:

Interesting to read your experiences @Devon Cream I literally had a trail going through that plot I mentioned and I can honestly say not 1 of 30 plants got touched by them. No big fence, just standard individual cages. Slugs on the other hand though was a different matter lol 

The plot we had issues at had no fences just cages round each plant they where quite small plants low in the cages . Put the trail cam up they where leaning in plucking them out didnt lose all the plants but a good chunk of them mostly roe deer round here .

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Devon Cream said:

they where leaning in plucking them out didnt lose all the plants but a good chunk of them mostly roe deer round here .

Bastards! I guess it's a crap shoot. Quick google and they love to eat practically anything.. 

No specific experience re cannabis, but generally muntjack are a nightmare invasive species.

• Like 2

Hey Slips

My area has a very high Muntjac population, sometimes they wander thru my plots. In the evenings when they start making their weird calling barks I try and mimic the sound and call back just to confuse em😁

I’ve never bothered using protection in over 2 decades and suffered  just 1 loss.

large.340AE2E5-13E5-4605-A857-EA5732EE020B.jpeg.ea1e910c3429875d3c5550a85f5bfc93.jpegThey’ve ringbarked it. 
Im pretty anti people dragging shit into the undergrowth and then not clearing up at the end of the grow, so I’d not recommend fencing. Small cages are more than sufficient if you must.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Ch@ppers said:

Munties are foes, but they taste nice. 

ofcourse...organic grown....😂  for breakfest

roe deer are not bad aswell :)  ..a lil more meat...so for dinner :) 

Edited by DutchFox
  • Like 4