Is this overkill, will it work & how silent will it be?

I guess that would depend on the fan and controller. I can tell you that with my old rhino fan + £10 speed controller, I wouldn't dare leave it running low as it would probably catch fire. With the AC Infinity fan however, the speeds are notches and the motor is EC so there's no problem. The lowest setting is the manufacturers lowest setting.

• Like 1

We're not forgetting that big fans generally use big filters right? Make sure the fan/filter will fit in the tent before you buy it.

• Like 2

On 09/03/2024 at 21:19, 1111111 said:

Thanks for your reply. 

The SMSCOM Hybrid controller is about the same price as the G.A.S Enviro V4....

Any thoughts on which one is best?

I run both makes of controllers iv run smscom hybrid since they came out still got one going now. But if I had the choice I’d deffo go for the gas over sms I run two gas controllers also a v2 and v4. 

• Like 1

**Update**

I've been advised by the manufacturer that running the 6 inch Revolution Silenced Vector EC V2 with a CarboAir60 filter exchanging every minute in such a small tent runs the risk of the filter not working. 

They've advised their "Air EC 100mm" fan with CarboAir50 filter. 

So there goes my plan to make the set up Uber silent!

Is there even a way of deciding which set up to go for without a degree in fan laws and duct maths!?!?!?!

It's fairly straightforward to silence a 100mm fan and filter. Just get creative, fan in a box, wrap up the ducting, ducting length between fan and filter, use mdf or whatever. It's considerably easier than silencing a 6 inch.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Clubs for your comment! I'm learning!

Can you clarify what you mean by "ducting length between fan and filter"? 

Is it quieter the longer the distance between them?

• Like 1

Just now, 1111111 said:

Thanks Clubs for your comment! I'm learning!

Can you clarify what you mean by "ducting length between fan and filter"? 

Is it quieter the longer the distance between them?

I mean don't connect the fan directly to the filter as the noise will be obvious through the filter. I recommend around 1m of acoustic ducting to connect them.