ph

thatman

Looking at buying a digital PH tester and would appreciate any feedback on recommendations of reasonably priced meters, cheers.

My bluelab one packed up last night. Giving out ridiculous readings I know are incorrect. That’s the truncheon AND the pH meter no longer working. Two hundred quids worth nearly. I’m ordering some litmus paper ….

• Like 2

don't buy the cheap ones

my blu lab ec meters working fine and about 2yo

my ph meter is blulab but i'm lucky my nutes bring it to the sweet spot with my soft water so hardly use it

Edited by ratdog
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

We can’t even agree about pH meters @ratdog lol 

Edited by mikeydoughnut
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, mikeydoughnut said:

We can’t even agree about pH meters

are you looking after yours, regularly calibrating and keeping the lid topped up with solution? lol

• Like 3

Yeah. Cost £80. Got looked after better than me kids. I was calibrating it yesterday and it’s gone wappy. Thankfully I know exactly how much pH down I need to put in the feed I was mixing. I wanted to check my res because it drifts. The truncheon just went red fucking hot when it died. Took the batteries out. No leaking or anything but too hot to touch. Hot enough to toast summat or set a fire going. 

Fuck it. Litmus paper from now on. 

Edited by mikeydoughnut
  • Like 1

I would normally know exactly how much pH down to use, but the 1litre bottle i usually buy has changed from 81% concentrate down to 30%,(for the same price).

I have never used litmus paper, does the paper change to the similar colours of a liquid test kit?

• Like 2

I bought 6 from the big rivers Asian competitor for a £10,don't tell Saddam though......

Do you really need one......? I'm not so sure anymore.....!

• Like 1

@thatman I pH down to 6.0 which theoretically should make it easy to get right since the paper works in whole numbers. Last time I used litmus paper I was 12 lol … but it’s a fiver for litmus paper, £20 for a piece of shit pH pen or £80 for a decent one that’ll break your heart if it breaks. Not only that I’ve only got a fiver spare while the 15th so I’m going with the paper. I’ll try a new bottle of calibration fluid when I get paid but I won’t be paying £80 for another one.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Mr mcgregor said:

Asian competitor

Yeah fuck that. Slave labour designed to destroy local economies …. I’m hard up but not that hard up.

Just now, mikeydoughnut said:

Yeah fuck that. Slave labour designed to destroy local economies …. I’m hard up but not that hard up.

Lol!

1 minute ago, Mr mcgregor said:

Lol!

You go work in a Chinese factory while lolling and own or work in a local business while lolling …. and I’m seen as a bastard around these parts 🫢

Edited by mikeydoughnut

Just now, mikeydoughnut said:

You go work in a Chinese factory while lolling and own a local business while lolling …. and I’m seen as a bastard around these parts 🫢

Pull your head out of your ass.

Every fucking things made in China these days!

• Like 1

Not everything. I was just typing it’s sometimes unavoidable. But there’s nowt stopping him going to a local or local website and ordering it. Even if it IS  Chinese let the local fella make a couple of quid out of it. I use Amazon n that. I agree sometimes you HAVE to. But not in this case. I’ll go to the garden centre for my pH kit. It won’t save their business but if everyone went local and just spent a few quid now n then we’d be in a better place economically and also in a communal sense. 

Look take your argument elsewhere if that’s what you’re after.

5 minutes ago, Mr mcgregor said:

Every fucking things made in China these days!

blulab pens are made in new zealand lol

• Like 5