Soil temps?

OutDoor_Grower85

Afternoon all, can anyone advise me on what is a decent soil temp? Currently at 21.2c should I try and get this higher or is that ok? 

21C is what I'd call the hard minimum, especially in smaller containers (15L or smaller) ideally I try to aim for 24/25C. A bit higher is also fine. 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, MindSoup said:

21C is what I'd call the hard minimum, especially in smaller containers (15L or smaller) ideally I try to aim for 24/25C. A bit higher is also fine. 

Thanks mate. I shall keep the heat Matt on then. Really appreciate your advise. 

No worries, you'll probably notice their growth improve quite a bit over the next week. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 2
46 minutes ago, OutDoor_Grower85 said:

Thanks mate. I shall keep the heat Matt on then. Really appreciate your advise. 

I wouldn’t leave a heat mat running unless it's regulated by a thermo controller. The probe can be positioned near the bottom of the container, in the soil for best results. 

• Like 2
31 minutes ago, Clubs said:

I wouldn’t leave a heat mat running unless it's regulated by a thermo controller. The probe can be positioned near the bottom of the container, in the soil for best results. 

Hi mate. Yeah got it connected to my ink bird with the probe in the soil. 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Clubs said:

The probe can be positioned near the bottom of the container, in the soil for best results. 

And, should one insert the probe from the soils surface, or up through the pots base?

*Chal; Probing Questions!*

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Chal said:

And, should one insert the probe from the soils surface, or up through the pots base?

*Chal; Probing Questions!*

I don't suppose it matters really. I personally tend to go through the bottom of the container but only because it looks tidier and can't get snagged by a watering can.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd worry about heat contamination on the rest of the cable doing it from the bottom, from the top it would be uneffected.

¾ down from the top for good balance across the whole pot.

Edited by Military Grade
  • Like 1

From my side, I have a temp/hum at bottom pot level, sit onbthe tray....my temp never go above 19C ( several time at 17.5)

Plants seems fine ( I guess). But this means that with higher root temp plant will yeald better or grow better?

Are several of you LED or HID? and for the second ones how you can Ballance a 25c root and the heat of the lamp?

Also do you believe ceramic heather could warm up roots efficiently or the heat mat+ thermostat is the only way to go?

Edited by Amnesialocal
  • Like 1

If your running HID I don't think it matters as much. I could  well be wrong as I've never grown with HID, B

But my neighbour started recently and it seems like it waaaay easier to keep a plant happy under HPS than LED. 

• Like 2

It depends where you are, if you're in a shed, loft or cold room then even with hid you'd be wise to use a heat mat. Usually these sort of places are the opposite in summer so no need then ime.

• Like 2

I've always heated the roots with both hid and led, once the temperature drops below 21c lots of strains will be unhappy, below 19c almost all will be unhappy with some sick, below 17c the odd strain might tolerate it but most will be sick.

With hid, the roots need to be kept warm at night and once a canopy has formed it blocks the heat from the light getting down there properly.

• Like 3