Peat ban.

murphyblue

bought some violet farm compost multi with added JI last week, no issues here, you guys need to shop around

also, who grows in soil indoors? lol

• Haha 2

John innes appears to be naturally peat-free. Wouldn't that and acidified coco in the right proportions have the same effect?

3 hours ago, Military Grade said:

I can still see BioBizz being sold on the big river, Not sure they follow any laws on there tho lol

Biobizz have Pre- mix and worm humus in their range which I believe you mix with used compost to re-use it. I guess it would work well in most used composts not just biobizz.

I've bought a fair amount of different peat free composts and I'm yet to find one I could recommend, Dalefoot is the best so far, but your chances of having fungus gnats in the bag is pretty high, that's the main issue with all peat free, that and loads of it being full of herbicide.

I still see the peat based, canna specific stuff for sale, but for how long I'm not sure, there appears to be some exceptions, so maybe there's a bit of a loop hole.  

"Defra (Department for Environment Food and Rural Affairs) has confirmed that while sales of bagged peat composts will be banned by 2024, and some peat-containing products will be banned from shelves in 2027, others will be exempt from a ban until 2030"

Edited by MindSoup

On 20/05/2005 at 22:13, CATSARSE said:

ive got 2 much 2 throw... so wots the best way 2 re use this product...wot do i need..

time is running out can anyone help ... :soap::smug:

Look out for Growmore seaweed 60, pretty good stuff and not too expensive, it's a 40ltr bag and it's 6.99 or 2 for a tenner usually. I did find some Moreland compost with peat in too, it's not mined liked most peat but rather collected from being washed down in the rivers. That was alright, but out of the two I'd get the Growmore one.

The best peat free I would currently recommend is Melcourt's Sylvagrow, its texture is good. I have tried several peat free composts over previous years as the peat "ban" was already in the post. I'm currently using Coco. Cheap peat free seems to come with shredded chip board, logs and Fungus Gnats at the moment.

9 hours ago, catweazle1 said:

John innes appears to be naturally peat-free. Wouldn't that and acidified coco in the right proportions have the same effect?

John innes is a traditional blend of loams , peat and grit , the new peat free versions are a poor facsimile of proper John innes if we're being honest.

:yinyang:

• Like 2

@Lux_Interior the sylvagrow I bought was awful, killed nearly every seed I put in it (not just canna seeds). Was a few years ago now though. Suppose that highlights the other big issue with peat free which is inconsistency.

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 1

A good portion of most peat free's is coco anyway. Dalesfoot is good for established plants but needs getting used to, really easy to over water it. Maybe it would also be good with a bit of coco? I've tried loads of different things but no real silver bullet.

Dalefoot do a seedling compost as well, but I've started seeds in the normal and fruit and veg stuff fine, well until the gnat larvae eat their roots anyway lol

I think moving forward, no till will become more and more popular with soil growers that don't want to transition to hydro. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, MindSoup said:

@Lux_Interior the sylvagrow I bought was awful, killed nearly every seed I put in it (not just canna seeds). Was a few years ago now though. Suppose that highlights the other big issue with peat free which is inconsistency.

i liked Sylvagrow because of the consistency of the substrate nice & fluffy. I have found cheap peat free to be full of 'chunks'. Its no good for raising seeds. I generally start seeds in pellets and pot up when roots start poking out. I grew two crops in Sylvagrow which where fine. However, the fact I'm using coco now says a lot about my current opinion on peat free composts.

• Like 1

Well i got 4 bags of the flower power compo coming tomorrow.

Won't be using it for a bit though as a bit pricey so will use it just for my indoor grows.

I hope i can find some decent alternative though as i don't think i could cope with coco all that measuring nutes and ph and ec would do me bloody head in.

• Like 2

From what I've seen, everything that says it's specific for seedlings is terrible for seedlings.

My local growshop is closed down.now so I picked up a bag of Vitax Q4  from the garden  centre to try.

• Like 1