Peat ban.

murphyblue

Called in local garden centre on way home from work with my inlaw as he needed some compo.

Being in his eighties he cant lift em anymore and the way he's going through it i would swear he has a grow on. lol

Anyways had a look at what they had and everything was marked up as peat free big letters all over the bags.

They did have a few vitax Q4 hiding which i think still has some peat in but they might have just been old stock.

Everything else was marked as peat free so has the ban started now ?????

If so has anyone found a decent peat free one they could recommend.

My goto compo up until now has been Humax 100% peat.

No signs of any there today and they are a stockist been buying it for years from them.

Luckily i should have enough in the shed to cover this years outdoor seedlings but thats it.

@BilgePump just remembered u work in the industry soto speak like whats the score dude.

• Like 1

I can still see BioBizz being sold on the big river, Not sure they follow any laws on there tho lol

Just now, Military Grade said:

Flavour lol

I don't know if you are being serious or pissing around.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@catweazle1 I was just joking around sorry

Tho i have seen tests that show soil tastes nicer out of soil, coco and hydro, with fruits, chillies and even cannabis, but never done it myself so who knows lol

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Military Grade said:

@catweazle1 I was just joking around sorry

Tho i have seen tests that show soil tastes nicer out of soil, coco and hydro, with fruits, chillies and even cannabis, but never done it myself so who knows lol

Soil definitely tastes the best 👌 

• Like 2

It's being phased out in stages from what I gather, with a total ban coming into force by 2030. Garden centres seem to be a step ahead though so I'm fairly confident that there will be decent alternatives by then.

• Like 2

I just picked up Flower Power Peat based as a tester , was reasonably cheap ,  rate the feed and thought i would see how it performed.

Was on special so thought why not.

I think from memory the peat ban was next year ???     But seeing lots dropping it.   

I find the run of the mill without peat just means extra fibrous wood materoial  🤬

• Like 1

I think all the diy shops, supermarkets etc. are selling off the old stock and replacing it all with peat free during this year with it totally gone by the end of the year.

• Like 2

Thinking i might go back there tomorrow and grab what evers left of the vitax i have used it before and its pretty good not as good as the humax but.

I noticed last week tesco only had peat free but thats all they had last year so thought nothing of it until i called in the garden centre today.

It was very noticable that all the different compos had in large letters PEAT FREE.

@OldFord will have a google of that the god jackson has my total respect as long as its cheap. lol

• Like 1

I grabbed some of the peat & peat free the same day we got the FP ,    it was on special and was pretty decent priced , saved me having to go get some and not luggin it about so i grabbed it.    

He has regular Special Deals on that  3 letter  shopping ch 👍

Thanks dude i just went direct and order 4 bags of the reduced peat one pretty good price at £8.99 for 40l.

Will have to keep it for special like at that price. lol

Dunno what the lidl stuff is like but at about 3.50 a bag it will do for me GG.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, murphyblue said:

If so has anyone found a decent peat free one they could recommend.

Melcourt seems ok for other bits in the garden, not tried it with Canna yet. I think they also make the Sylvagrow brand. 

• Like 2

You can still pick up peat based, we've got 70L bags of "reduced peat" Which is still 60+% sphagnum, Erin reduced peat multi purpose.

@murphyblue rocket grow peat free is really nice from what I've used, probably the nicest yet for texture and looking/smelling good, seems very user-friendly too but it's new to us so im waiting for customer feedback .

:yinyang:

• Like 2