Switching from coco to rockwool?

mubo

Hi all, I’m thinking of switching from 17ltr fabric pots of coco to the 6” blocks of rockwool placed on top of the small rockwool slab 10”x8”.

this will be fed multiple times a day via drippers. At the moment the coco is fed 4 times a day.

this is on a run to waste system. 

would the rockwool out perform the coco? With crop steering 

All other things being equal, yes the rockwool should outperform the coco. However, its also much less forgiving. A friend of mine switched from nft with rockwool to coco because he killed 6 plants literally overnight when he accidentally pulled the hose from the pump out of the nft tank and into the water, so the plants went with no water for over 24 hours about 2 weeks from harvest. Somewhere between 40 and 45 ozs dead. And the twit was just gonna bin everything if I hadnt convinced him to press it into rosin.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Scroggersean said:

All other things being equal, yes the rockwool should outperform the coco. However, it’s also much less forgiving. A friend of mine switched from nft with rockwool to coco because he killed 6 plants literally overnight when he accidentally pulled the hose from the pump out of the nft tank and into the water, so the plants went with no water for over 24 hours about 2 weeks from harvest. Somewhere between 40 and 45 ozs dead. And the twit was just gonna bin everything if I hadnt convinced him to press it into rosin.

That was my only concern is the drying out if a pump fails, that’s why I was thinking of using the 6” block on top of the small rockwool slab, which should give a bit more time. 

Coco is a good substrate you can add perlite, bat poo, chicken shit to enrich it if you desire. Retains moisture. Less attention required than rockwool (maybe 😶)!

A dripper rockwool system. Sounds good.

However, I ran NFT tanks for a while, good crops yes, good yields yes, a lot of ball ache & work - Yes! (pH, EC ??? !!!!) ❗

... and as @Scroggersean has mentioned equipment failure regarding the irrigation of your plants using rockwool is not good.

Have you considered something like a Wilma setup?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Lux_Interior said:

Have you considered something like a Wilma setup?

I’ve done it in the past but I have a DTW system already and want something that doesn’t involve carrying bags of coco about if I can.

7 minutes ago, GSZZ said:

lol

What’s funny? It’s a method that works if you understand how it works. What you are saying (laughing) at is the equivalent of saying that soil doesn’t require a dry back, or do you think soil can be kept wet at all times? Not arguing just wondering what your opinion on that would be? 

3 minutes ago, mubo said:

want something that doesn’t involve carrying bags of coco about if I can.

I've built a recirculating system with no medium at all, could be something for you to consider,

details are in my profile...I wouldn't touch rockwool with a barge pole...horrid fecking stuff.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, mubo said:

What’s funny? 

"With crop steering" at the end of your post is what made me laugh - specifically, the contrast between the question, and the statement. What's even funnier is you reducing crop steering down to simply just dry backs, which honestly serves to make this all the more funnier. 

How are you monitoring your dry backs? Lol 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GSZZ said:

"With crop steering" at the end of your post is what made me laugh - specifically, the contrast between the question, and the statement. What's even funnier is you reducing crop steering down to simply just dry backs, which honestly serves to make this all the more funnier. 

How are you monitoring your dry backs? Lol 

I have a trollmaster system which tells me what is going on with my media, and have just received an Aroya system to try. So do you still believe that soil should be kept wet at all times? Science moves on else we wouldn’t have aeroponics or DWC. 

2 hours ago, mubo said:

What you are saying (laughing) at is the equivalent of saying that soil doesn’t require a dry back

Laughing at you  doesn't mean I think "soil" (I thought we were talking about coco and rockwool?) doesn't require a dry back, but you reducing "crop steering" down to simple dry backs confirms what I was laughing at in the first place - you haven't got a fucking clue mate. I bet you're stacking the EC up to 3.0 + plus as well like it tells ya to do on the side of the Athena bag, without actually knowing what you're doing other than "dry backs and crop steering" lol lol lol lol

*edit* are you going to schedule your irrigations by VWC too? lol lol

54 minutes ago, mubo said:

So do you still believe

Something you imagined I meant? No mate lol

Edited by GSZZ
  • Haha 1

Just now, GSZZ said:

Laughing at you  doesn't mean I think "soil" (I thought we were talking about coco and rockwool?) doesn't require a dry back, but you reducing "crop steering" down to simple dry backs confirms what I was laughing at in the first place - you haven't got a fucking clue mate. I bet you're stacking the EC up to 3.0 + plus as well like it tells ya to do on the side of the Athena bag, without actually knowing what you're doing other than "dry backs and crop steering" lol lol lol lol

Something you imagined I meant? No mate lol

it isn’t about the dry backs you Neanderthal 🤣 it’s more about oxygen at the root zone. Which nutrients delivered by drippers pulls oxygen in, you fool. My original question was about a 6” rockwool block on a small rockwool slab…. Has anyone used these who also has used coco… as things have moved on grandad and we ain’t growing in mud no more 😂😂

• WOW 1

7 minutes ago, mubo said:

it isn’t about the dry backs you Neanderthal 🤣 it’s more about oxygen at the root zone. Which nutrients delivered by drippers pulls oxygen in, you fool.

Thats just watering a plant mate lol lol you need to educate yourself on what "crop steering" actually is, as I've said previously, you haven't got a clue - and the question you asked, in relation to "crop steering", gave you away in the opening posts, which is what made me laugh in the first place.

7 minutes ago, mubo said:

Has anyone used these who also has used coco… as things have moved on grandad and we ain’t growing in mud no more 😂😂

I've used 6" rockwool blocks on rockwool slabs :) I've use eazy blocks on coir slabs too. Im growing in pots of coir at the moment, but thats not "mud", who is talking about soil cos I'm not? Do you mean a potting mix? lol Or are you one of those bozos that goes to the grow shop and asks for a bag of soil when you mean a bag of coco?  lol

As for the grandad comment thats hilarious, I'm one of the younger members on this website and people have been growing cannabis in rockwool since before I was born. Imagine thinking you're cutting edge cos rockwool lol lol lol

Edited by GSZZ
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, GSZZ said:

Thats just watering a plant mate lol lol you need to educate yourself on what "crop steering" actually is, as I've said previously, you haven't got a clue - and the question you asked, in relation to "crop steering", gave you away in the opening posts, which is what made me laugh in the first place.

I've used 6" rockwool blocks on rockwool slabs :) I've use eazy blocks on coir slabs too. Im growing in pots of coir at the moment, but thats not mud, who is talking about soil cos I'm not? Or are you one of those bozos that goes to the grow shop and asks for a bag of soil when you mean a bag of coco? lmao

As for the grandad comment thats hilarious, I'm one of the younger members on this website and people have been growing cannabis in rockwool since before I was born. Imagine thinking you're cutting edge cos rockwool lol lol lol

Thank you for the confirmation 👍😂😂

I haven't confirmed anything lol i'll give you a clue though - one isn't better than the other, and what you see coming out of commercial facilities doesn't represent quality of best practice.

• Like 1