Recommendations for soil and Nutrients

Mong Man

Hello peeps 😎

It's been around 5 or 6 years since my last grow so I'm not up to date with what people are growing in at the moment. Most likey going to grow in good old mud and looking for recommendations on what soil and nutrient range to use.

I'll be growing in a 1.2m x 1.2m tent under a 600w LED grow light with all the rest of the usual gubbins.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated?

• Like 1

I'm sure there will be a lot of suggestions but for me personally I've always used BioBizz All mix and in the first few years I used their nutrients. I did swap over to Intense Nutrients a few years back, however they seem to have 'watered' down the strength so depending on the plant I was often finding that I would need to increase the dose to almost double their recommended guidelines.

You could also grow in coco but I've never tried that so can't offer much advice there, although I have been doing a lot of reading up on organic growing, which I might dabble when I have a larger growing space available.

• Like 1

Another one for BioBizz soil, tho I prefer light mix, I've stunned a few plants with all mix when potting up young seedlings.

I get mine off the Big River site and the bag comes in a unmarked box, not cheap from there but I don't drive so is just easier for me.

Currently using Intense Nutrients, the ones I have (soil range) I have to give less than recommended dosage otherwise it frys my plants.

BioBizz Nutrients also worked fine, both brands still needed some Epsom salt to fix my water supplies Calcium to Magnesium ratio.

As for coco I ain't gonna open that can of worms but I don't see the point.

I use h&g bat special compost, nice dirt that , don't really need to feed through veg for the first 3-4 weeks.

Im a fan of mineral nutes rather than organics , i find they're simpler, less messy , easier to measure and give far better results, I'm currently on the greenhouse seed co. Powder feeding... Of which I only use the "hybrid bloom" base feed, bit of cheap cal/mag (canna calmag agent) and a root product (Shropshire seaweed).

:yinyang:

Canna user here too, although I don't mind using other compost mixes such as Playgron or House and Garden. Usually Canna Pro though (not the Pro Plus).

• Like 2

I've had a small space using soil since Owderbs Beanstalk thread 

I chose soil over coco as I wanted to auto water with Tropfs, and preferred the changes of these working correctly in soil. 

Each run has consisted of germination in Root Riot, pot-ups in Clover MPC & final pot of Biobizz Lightmix with Beanstalk. 

Not the most cost efficient method, but for ease of use and minimising hands-on time throughout its been a win. 

Current and last grow with this method was flipped on new years day, should be down within the next week. Going to try something different with the space going forwards. 

• Like 2

Just started using BioTabs, 6 weeks in and plants seem to be jollying along with it. Love how easy it is, prep compost, plant plant, water only till 5th week, wee feed then water to harvest. Will give some BioBiz bio bloom if any of them look hungry. No pH or EC testing, but then again in sunny Scotland-by-the-Sea, our water is pretty much bang on anyway, but the peeps both at BioTabs and Dutch Passion say it ain’t required in coco either.

ETA:Compost is from a previous grow.

Edited by NotGoingGoa

Hello Peeps,

Many thanks for all the suggestions, definitely given me some food for thought.

Although I've still not 100% decided, I think I'm going to go with either Canna Pro mix or Tropic bat mix for the soil and maybe shogun terra for the nutrients. You can get their full suite for 40 notes. Has anyone used the Shogun nutrients?

14 hours ago, Mong Man said:

Has anyone used the Shogun nutrients?

I've not used those, I do keep meaning to trying them, I hear they are very similar to Canna. I looked at your growroom profile, those nutes won't last 5 minutes. Most of those bottles are unnecessary, you'd be better off buying 1 ltr of the grow nute, 5 ltrs of bloom and if you desire a little bit of root stim. Just my opinion of course.

Buying the 5ltr ones is way cheaper. You shouldn't need much grow as the compost does all that until it becomes spent.

• Like 1

On 01/03/2024 at 11:26, KC said:

I've not used those, I do keep meaning to trying them, I hear they are very similar to Canna. I looked at your growroom profile, those nutes won't last 5 minutes. Most of those bottles are unnecessary, you'd be better off buying 1 ltr of the grow nute, 5 ltrs of bloom and if you desire a little bit of root stim. Just my opinion of course.

Buying the 5ltr ones is way cheaper. You shouldn't need much grow as the compost does all that until it becomes spent.

Hi KC,

Thanks for your reccomendations. Much appreciated!

My grow room profile is seriously out of date! Its probably 5 or 6 years old (maybe older). This grow would be a whole new set up as follows:

1.2 x 1.2m tent (somehow adjusted to fit in the loft)
600w Omega 3.0 Infinity Pro LED
150mm RVK with Rhino Pro CF
Passive intake (have a 100m RVK if needed)
Exhale C02 bag (first time using this)
Pedistal fan
Oil heater
Heater mat
4 x 12.5l air pot (might use 16l rhizo pots)

Historically, I've grown regular seeds and grown em all out to select a keeper. This time I'm going down the feminised route. 

First run will be:
1 x BF Runtz muffin
1 x CC 818 Headband
1x G13 Labs Pineapple express
1x SS Northern lights

First grow will be in soil but might move to coco for future grows

For nutrients, I would use a root stim, silicon, grow and bloom. Anything else would be a bonus.

I may even do a grow diary...

• Like 2

They do drink quite a bit more when under led I found when I switched over. 

Good luck with your new setup :)

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, KC said:

They do drink quite a bit more when under led I found when I switched over. 

Good luck with your new setup :)

Thanks KC

How far do you keep your LED lights from plants? I'm a bit worried I'm not going have enough height.

Edited by Mong Man
  • Like 1