Germinated seeds delaying planting

Just now, GemimaPudd said:

2x 15 l fabric pots on the windowsil, I dont think thats going to cut it.  😆

Is there a reason for starting in big pots like that?

• Like 1
Just now, Clubs said:

Is there a reason for starting in big pots like that?

More chance of surviving than me repotting. Maybe one day Ill have the confidence to mess around and learn things properly.

Do you still have some of the same seeds available to just start over in a few days? I think that would be my choice if keeping these ones alive would be hassle.  

• Like 1
Just now, yan said:

Do you still have some of the same seeds available to just start over in a few days? I think that would be my choice if keeping these ones alive would be hassle.  

I do yan, I think thats what im going to do as I dont want to regret it down the line.

21 minutes ago, GemimaPudd said:

More chance of surviving than me repotting

Massively increased chance of overwatering too. Potting up isn't something only experts can do. When a small pot is property rooted, the plant comes out easily. 

• Like 5
1 minute ago, Clubs said:

Massively increased chance of overwatering too. Potting up isn't something only experts can do. When a small pot is property rooted, the plant comes out easily. 

I feel like its running before walking.

Ill get some photos next time and spend some time in veg mode and learn.

Literally just want to get one under my belt first.

• Like 1

Do whatever you feel comfortable with, it’s best not to rush things, take your time and enjoy the process.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Clubs said:

Massively increased chance of overwatering too.

This.

Media without roots running through it will hold water like nobody's business and stay quite a bit colder than optimal.

:yinyang:

• Like 6

Potting up is a doddle. It wont take long untill the seedlings have grown a nice root mass that's filled out the small pot.  This will come out in one lump and go straight in to a premade hole.  I like to use the small pot like a template for the hole. That way its the perfect size and shape for the root mass.     No stress

Go for it. It's well worth it.

Edited by Dan t
  • Like 6
On 22/02/2024 at 19:29, GemimaPudd said:

2x 15 l fabric pots on the windowsil, I dont think thats going to cut it.  😆

I wouldn't pot seedlings in 15 litre pot no way!!

You want a 1 litre pot and progressively increase in pot size.

• Like 4
On 22/02/2024 at 19:04, GemimaPudd said:

I can put them in soil but no light, would they be better in soil with some daylight?

Seeds don't need light. Get them in your substrate and leave them in a cubbard.

Also are these autos? If so, planting them in the final pot is the right way to go

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/02/2024 at 19:49, darXound said:

planting them in the final pot is the right way to go

This is a myth BTW. They transplant just fine. I've had autos' rootballs crumble away and they settled in as well as any other plant would. You're going to see faster initial growth in a small container, a crucially good start with flowering around the corner. 

• Like 1