Environmental Issues

Amnesialocal

Hi all,

I hope this is the most appropriate section where to post this.

I have to admit that I am having more and more problems with humidity and temperature.

There is something I am doing wrong, but I am not anymore able.to understand whats the solution.

Data:

HPS 250W for 4x2 tent

4" extractor

4" intake ( active) but turn off.

3rd week flowering

RH lung room 70-75%

RH tent light on 50-60%

RH tent light off 50-55%

temp light on 26-30C

temp light off 25-26C

temp outside 6-8C ( if temperature outside are 10-12c sum 3c to the above temperature)

Fan 6/10 ( 10/10 when outside is wormer).(10/10 is like an aircraft....)

All this with the tent semi-open to increase air intake.

If I would like to close the tent, temperature could jump to 30c without dehumidifier turn on.

The dehumidifier to keep the above RH at light on rise considerably the temperature even more.

Currently I have this situation, which from a point of view of security is like no no....with 12/12 and light pollution i wont be able.

My idea was to duct the dehumidifier into the intake and close the tent, but I am not sure if temperature won't rise incredibly.

Previously I had a 400w and at light on RH was 55% (perfect) and i had to use dehumidifier only  at night. Now I need to pay for 250w light + 156W dehumidifier...that's not a good deal for me:( and even I am not in a secure condition.

I took 2 decisions:

- The fan is so so old...so I will replace with a 6".

- HPS ...I guess is time to say bye bye. My new viparspectra 600 100w cost me 48£ second/hand...2x and I am almost there.

But would this help something? Humidity particularly?

I am really lost and any help would be very much appreciated

Txlarge.IMG_20240219_194902.jpg.e4bc3ce92a232c314274f9327feb9102.jpg

26 minutes ago, Shumroom said:

Where are you extracting to?

Atb

☯️

Outside

• Like 2

Are you sure your extractor fan is working properly or is the filter blocked/mis-matched to the fan? You could technically have two 250s in that tent so shouldn't be struggling with heat at this time of year. Is the fan powerful enough?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Amnesialocal said:

RH lung room 70-75%

Is that the lowest you can get it?

Where are you pulling air in from?

I have my tents pull air from the room they are in 47-52% avg, and i also have them extract back into the same room, Even when my room is 21c my tent will be 27-29c with the aid of tube heaters at this time of year.

• Like 4

I apologise in advance if I'm telling you stuff you already know.

with an hps light you have to take the temperature in the shade not in direct light.

If the intake fan is off then you have to have a large passive intake hole so opening the door is doing just that.

The extraction has to be balanced so that the extraction fan always sucks harder than the intake blows but only by a bit. Normally that means using a 5 inch extractor and a 4 inch intake but it can be done using speed control on the intake fan.

With hid lights humidity wasn't actually so important as temperature I would mostly ignore it in flower, on the whole extraction rates with hid are higher so with more air movement and heat humidity is lower anyway.

Humidity is relative to temperature so if the intake air is cold with a high humidity the humidity will drop once the air is heated.

I think if you use a 6 inch fan it will be too big, definitely too big for led in that space, a 5 inch might be a better choice and should balance nicely with a 4 inch intake if you have a speed controller on both.

With a 5 inch fan you should be able to run the 400w lamp no problem. In cold weather by blowing the intake air directly at the lamp to heat it rapidly then extracting from lower down in the room so its drawn down through the canopy.

• Like 3

What do the plants look like.......?

Your environment parameters seem o.k.

Relax,it's a weed and will grow in less than ideal conditions..

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Clubs said:

Are you sure your extractor fan is working properly or is the filter blocked/mis-matched to the fan? You could technically have two 250s in that tent so shouldn't be struggling with heat at this time of year. Is the fan powerful enough?

I perfectly agree with you...i shouldn't have problems with a 4" 165cpm in the tent and particularly at this time of the year.

Yes checked connections etc and everything is correct.

10 hours ago, inceywinceyspider said:

take the temperature in the shade not in direct light

Try that first before anything else.

19 hours ago, Military Grade said:

Is that the lowest you can get it?

Where are you pulling air in from?

I have my tents pull air from the room they are in 47-52% avg, and i also have them extract back into the same room, Even when my room is 21c my tent will be 27-29c with the aid of tube heaters at this time of year.

You are LED correct?

I am pulling air in from the lung room at floor level with a 4" active fan....BUT. IF I close the tent and outside is 12-13c....no way the ventilation works.

That's why I need to open the tent as per picture. Passive seems working better than active.

Also I was extracting on the same room as you mentioned, but during vege I had litterlay water dropping from the ceiling and condensation around the electrical panel ( far from the extraction)...so I had to create an external extraction ( via floor below).

Regarding RH. I could drop it down, but having the dehumidifier running also 24/7 which rise the lung room temperature up to 23-24c...also the tent pulling in air from the floor, always pull higher RH than the rest of the room.

Does LED need such higher temperature respect to HPS?

Edited by Amnesialocal

@inceywinceyspider@KC

Many thanks and many thanks all for the comments.

Sorry but I dint get exactly the fact of taking temperature in the shade? Can you clarify? Should i move the probe under the canopy? On the corner of the tent?

Regarding the 4-5-6" fan.... I took the 6"... mainly because I can't have an aircraft running 24/7....with the 6 I will reduce the speed and have a more silence extraction.

Currently I have 4" at 165cpm and 4" intake at 80. I could use the old 4" as intake for the new 6...but is still consider to use passive intake opening a slot on the tent and amybe use the intake to pull in dry air from the dehumidifoer?

Also, I need to highlight 2 important aspects:

- I am 70% concern about security. Having a system which spread light when the tent is open, with a fan that could be easily heard from far in a silence night. 30% I am a bit stressed as I need to trick parameters constantly. In my opinion an environmental control not spot on ( not perfect parameter, but the bright one constant) can't bring smooth perpetual or some chucking works:(

- The second big problem for me is that unfortunately I have a job where I need to work outside town for 2-4-6 even 14 days in a row and no one is checking thebplants when I am away. I have notice of 24h. I keep or I lost the job.

So often ( during this grow happened 4 times already) I have to leave knowing only what is happening via T69PRO. I guess everyone can image the stress looking at plants under 33C 67% RH in flowering or 21c 93RH.

I need to take 2 weeks out now in 10-12 days and I will be in full flowering stage, DIY irrigation and no idea how to setup everything.

I could back and have gnammy gnammy plants or not having them at all:)

Your intake (passive or active) should be at least 3 times the size of outtake...

Opening the tent proves the point...

• Like 2

ditch the lung room, ditch the dehumidifier, go passive, keep extractor on, use a fan controller set by temperature, forget humidity,  you're 3 weeks in flower. simplify it

• Like 1

@Amnesialocal Yes you should put the thermometer probe in the shade under the leaves in the top of the canopy near the middle so no light hits it.

This is because the heat from the hps lamp will give a false reading. With led lights this is not an issue the light is not so hot.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Amnesialocal said:

a 4" 165cpm

Is this CFM (cubic feet per minute) or m3h (square meters per hour)? If it's a 165CFM fan then it should be powerful enough on a higher setting. But if it's 165m3h then it's probably struggling a bit with HPS.

What are the makes and models of both fans?

Edited by Clubs