Lumatek Zeus Pro Tips and Info

Amanojaku

Hey guys, I switched from HPS/Halides to a 600w Zeus Pro a few years back, and had mixed results. Wondering what everyone's tips and tricks for it are - like amount you dim it, height to canopy, how you deal with cooler root temps etc  and generally how well  people are getting on with it.

I'm finding it's a lot less forgiving than HPS/Halide  - guessing because the intensity is high, but there is no leaf temp increase caused by IR like high discharge lamps, and that's kind of an unnatural situation for the plant to begin with, or at least unusual.

Also...the cal mag issue. I never had to use Cal/Mag before (using plant magic soil supreme with oldtimer nutes) on all my previous grows under HPS or Halide. Straight away with this LED I ran into problems nearly every time in late veg/early flower. Pretty sure it's cal/mag issues (going by those fairly confusing online picture charts of plant problem symptoms), which can then cause lock out and other problems. I've  heard many others say  they had to drastically increase Cal/Mag too.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

It's all about having your lighting match your environment and vice versa. This is a bit of a long video, but it spells out just about everything you need to know, even briefly addresses the difference between hid and led. Some bits are focused on living soil growing specifically but for the most part it applies to all indoor growing.

Migro and Bruce Bugbee on YouTube are also invaluable sources of information on lighting. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Reversing extraction is great for retaining some of the heat. 

Also under pot heating of some type is essential. 

I suffer from low RH in bloom due to the extra heat I'm adding, 

so I leave some runoff in my garland trays to evaporate and increase the RH. 

I leave my light at ceiling height as I have mobility issues. 

Most of my runs since swapping out to LEDs have been at no more than 75% light setting. 

Get a grow diary on the go and you'll get plenty of advice along the way. 

Atb 

☯️

• Like 3

i solved the issue by selling my LEDs and going back to good old hps,

gavitas are cheap these days too.

win win.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, badbillybob said:

win win.

Why bro,my par plus is mint,You had zeus?

I cant go over 500g with hps, led gave 525 and its 480w.

Edited by Herbal Kint
  • Like 1

i had  a couple of omega luna 630's and a scope-x 680.

nice lights, very productive too but heating costs in my grow location (shed and garage) were through the roof so back on the HPS

IF i was growing in the house it would be a diifferent story, but realistically about 2 months of the summer is the most i could have used them up here

Edited by badbillybob
  • Like 6

Its a good piece of kit to have tho,can be combined with hps for better spectrum as well, ill prolly get 2 x 465 smaller zeus on top of my par plus,it leaves room  to put 400w hps in middle of leds if temps go down.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shumroom said:

Reversing extraction is great for retaining some of the heat. 

Also under pot heating of some type is essential. 

I suffer from low RH in bloom due to the extra heat I'm adding, 

so I leave some runoff in my garland trays to evaporate and increase the RH. 

I leave my light at ceiling height as I have mobility issues. 

Most of my runs since swapping out to LEDs have been at no more than 75% light setting. 

Get a grow diary on the go and you'll get plenty of advice along the way. 

Atb 

☯️

Good shout on the reverse extraction! I have a fan above the zeus blowing down on it to hopefully push any heat down but I doubt it does much. Under pot heating seems like a plan, how's that end up looking on leccy bill though?

I've also found no need to ever run the ZP at anything above 75%. During early veg it's at 25% or 50% then when they're sturdy and  ready for the flip I'll put it  up to 75%.

I do need to do a grow diary. Just recently harvested 13oz from a 4x4  with the zeus. Def could of got more but had some problems in early flower (think I overdid calmag and ended up with lockout and deficiencies). Ended up good though still. Jealousy x  Purple Octane from clone. Really nice licorice terps.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, badbillybob said:

win win.

Lol 😄 I do sometimes wonder if I made a mistake, but determiend  to try and nail it with this light before I change course again. I'd like to try Halides again as always got great results with them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MindSoup said:

It's all about having your lighting match your environment and vice versa. This is a bit of a long video, but it spells out just about everything you need to know, even briefly addresses the difference between hid and led. Some bits are focused on living soil growing specifically but for the most part it applies to all indoor growing.

Migro and Bruce Bugbee on YouTube are also invaluable sources of information on lighting. 

Cheers mate, will check this out.

Yeah the Migrow dude was one of the reasons I got interested in the zeus. Bruce Bugbee...that dudes name 😅 He is an amazing source of info, good shout

• Like 1

@Amanojaku I had similar problems when I switched to led about 5 years ago. I thought I was having cal mag deficiencies but it was under feeding. Leds produce much more usable light so the plants need more feed to keep up. It took me a couple of runs to get it right but stick with it, up your feed a bit and don't run your lights to hard, its very easy to over do it.

Also keeping your temps up in an led room are essential because they don't give off as much ir, so have your heat source up high and extract down low and that will keep your leaf temps up.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Hazeytones said:

@Amanojaku I had similar problems when I switched to led about 5 years ago. I thought I was having cal mag deficiencies but it was under feeding. Leds produce much more usable light so the plants need more feed to keep up. It took me a couple of runs to get it right but stick with it, up your feed a bit and don't run your lights to hard, its very easy to over do it.

Also keeping your temps up in an led room are essential because they don't give off as much ir, so have your heat source up high and extract down low and that will keep your leaf temps up.

Yeah thinking about it, I've heard this from a number of growers too online. Noted!

I did feed more on this last run, and they looked great as I went into flowering...maybe too dark green even.  But then something went south, so I reckon I overdid the calmag. Have you found that it's both during veg and bloom they need more feed? Really don't want to end up with a harsh smoking end product.

Is there an ideal time to stop using cal/mag in a grow? I usually taper off through the first 3 or so weeks of 12/12...

No I only had issues once I went into flower, they were fine during veg. Once the lights get ramped up that's when I started to have issues. 

I've now switched to living soil so I don't use any bottle nutes now other than for mums. I just feed them a bit of fish mix and seaweed extract and a bit of cal mag when they show signs of deficiency. 

If you need to use cal mag you would be increasing through flower, well that's how it was with the biobizz stuff, so decreasing the first three weeks of flower to nothing won't have helped if your water was low on cal mag.

What nutrients are you using?

Hey man, I'm using the same lights in a 4x4 currently running 5 x autos..

I think one of mine could be on the way to being in trouble, what would your advice be?

20240207-175515.jpg20240207-175628.jpg