What is a seedbank where I can find strains for colder climates?

childofmelee

5 hours ago, childofmelee said:

Honey Gas from Old School Genetics. 

Definitely not an outdoor strain, would not recommend. A lot of strains will still have an outdoor finishing time but will be talking about a much lower latitude like Spain. For good results you want plants that have been bread/selected outdoors in northern countries, UK, Scananavia, Poland, Russia, Canada etc. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 1

I'm at Lat 37N so not on the hunt for such strains but I remember reading about Frisian Dew, developed in the north of The Netherlands(Friesland), does well in Northern climes. Might be wort a look from your side. 

Frisian Dew is absolute wank compared to modern outdoor stuff, prone to mould, doesn't finish very early and most importantly it's not even worth smoking, tastes like crayons. 

• Like 1

Hi,

I would look into strains developed by danish breeders. They have climatized landrace strains for decades, and there is a good selection of strains that will finish far north, or in colder climates. What is special about them, is that they dont have ruderalis auto genes in them. I don´t think it is allowed to post links to seedbanks, so I will send you a PM.

I would also look up Erdpurt strain. The mother is Erdbeer, an indica which  is bred an stabilized in Switzerland, and now the offspring is available from a very reputable spanish breeder.

Good luck

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bfehillbilly said:

@Peregrine I'm at 37N also what strains have been working for you outdoors 

I used to run everything outdoors from May until October but lost a few due to extreme heat, 50C+ on my terrace, so now I don't take the risk with something I haven't tried outdoors. I always run stuff from May until mid-July but that means putting them out early morning and bringing them in for their dark period. The weather is perfect, 25-30C and always a light breeze. 

Scott's OG will tolerate anything you can throw at her so that's one I do run through the summer, I have a GG4 x GDP cross that also works well. Critical will tolerate the heat and give great results, it's what the Spaniards grow the most outdoors. Those I've lost were mostly cookies strains, I had a magnificent batch of Devil Cookies from Natural Genetics at about 6 weeks in flower and they just curled up and died, I was gutted.

How about your own experience at this Lat? 

@Peregrine I run full term mostly fems Chelato done really good for me last year SS Cream Carmel was a big producer and knockout high had a little mold done a Ice Cream Cake Fast from HSO that done really well first time trying a FV and ordered four more packs used have a clone around for years but lost her Bluedream x Island Sweet Skunk she was bullet proof outdoors and indoors Thanks for the info

• Like 1

On 06/02/2024 at 08:54, Slippy One said:

Don't grow weed on a snowy mountain. Not unless you live there, seems a bit pointless if you live temperate. 

Not on a snowy mountain but a few kilometres from the mountain.  It has low humidity so I don't have to worry about mold, and lots of areas to grow. Finding grow areas is the number one problem for me.

On 06/02/2024 at 17:07, catweazle1 said:

Airy, loose media as well to mitigate the damp and cold cutting the air off in the roots. 

Good point.

• Like 1

On 06/02/2024 at 21:15, MindSoup said:

Definitely not an outdoor strain, would not recommend. A lot of strains will still have an outdoor finishing time but will be talking about a much lower latitude like Spain. For good results you want plants that have been bread/selected outdoors in northern countries, UK, Scananavia, Poland, Russia, Canada etc. 

True that, probably got tight buds as well which won't do well in the rainy humid weather we get here, I grew his Old Widow 90's and it had rock solid buds that soaked up moisture like a sponge and molded up fast.  I think his strains are better for indoors or sunny Mediterranean climate.

I'm inclined to take inspiration from pure ruderalis. They have evolved to complete a life cycle in  adverse, cold. Consider the structure and select varieties not too far away from the openess of the foliage and relatively long internodes of the Northern ruderalis strains, like Siberian ruderalis. I'm not saying use ruderalis, but take a cue from its structure and density of branches and buds in your choices. Obviously, yield will take a hit per plant, but that's all proportional to energy (light and heat) availability anyway.

• Like 2

I think you should check out Ace seeds too. They are on tude' seedbank also and offer many landrace based strains I'm sure some are very tolerant to the cold. If you go on their website each strain Look on the "additional information" and you can see what latitude they handle. All you need! All the best mate. Peace. 

• Like 2