Newbie dehumidifier advice needed

LittleMissPuffit

1 hour ago, LittleMissPuffit said:

but if I go with the Meaco do you reckon Id get away with the 10 litre as oppose to the 12? Skint being the operative word 😆

All i can tell you is the litre values are for a theoretical max performance in a 24hr period and not the size of the tank lol, mines a 20L but the tank is definitely not, at the peak time of the year it can last just over 24hrs, other times of the year about every 3 days before i have to empty it, and thats for a 60x60x160 and a 40x40x120 tents and me being in the room most of the time so a fair bit of humidity and it handles it easy.

I have no experience with the lower rated models so someone else would have to let you know how effective a 10L or 12L rated one would be, at a guess a 10L would be scraping it but i could be wrong 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Military Grade
  • Like 1

I can't not throw in here that; I was, myself, researching the hell out of dehu's. Later, last year? Meako and ProBreeze were the names on every everyone's lips.

But, then, I started catching more bang up to date reviews and discussions. The word was now completely different! 'Screw 'ProBreeze! Not any more!'

Seems PB had, relatively recently, it seemed? Done something. Can't remember what it was. Don't think I fully understood it myself, then. But, it was something about their production process. They'd, somehow, 'sold out'. Gone over to ..... The internet was not happy.

So, yeah. Caveat emptor.

I'm going for Insulation, by the way. Thermally insulate the tent. Tube heaters inside. More hoping to avoid the humidity altogether. Having fun.

5 hours ago, Military Grade said:

The problem with that is if that's your intake, then it's only getting dry air when the dehumidifier is on, soon as it turns of your intake will be sucking in cold damp air from the defrosting radiator in the dehumidifier. this will then mean the dehumidifier will have to turn back on sooner making it inefficient.

When it's in the room your 70x70 tents passive intakes will be taking in a more constant stable intake of warm dry air from the lung/room regardless of if the dehumidifier is on or off.

I get this point,  hence my use of the inkbird which turns off the unit completely,  I.e. no cold air. although the probreeze  units dont push out cold air, tbh, I've not used any units that have done this unlike possibly ither brands, also, when the dehumidifier isn't pushing air into an intake and is off, the tent is using its passive vents for intake, it does work.

@LittleMissPuffit

I've used a meaco before, didn't get it on with it. the probreeze 12L is £139,the inkbird about 45

might be overkill for your smaller space, as long as the unit has "auto restart" and "constant drain" ability, youll be fine.

or just ramp up your extraction and have a small heater for lights off to negate the colder temps with higher humidity

🫡

I've been using a MeacoDry ABC, had it years, it's been faultless. No idea if it's the 10 or 12l.

Never ducted it's output to a tent/enclosure, it's just used in the room the grow is in. 

Its currently in my bedroom, sharing the space with my C02 production units (my lungs), and a tiny footprint grow. 

It's also been used in a much smaller dedicated grow room with much larger grow footprint (1x1 + 0.8x0.8 veg, but without me sleeping there). It's always been able to keep the RH through flower as desired, in cunjuction with independent grow space heating. 

No idea if you can fit a drain to it, never looked. I have to empty the tank twice daily. 

• Like 1

I’ve had my Probreeze for 4 years, so maybe one of the better made models. To install the continuous drain you’ll need a hole through a wall to outside and a pipe through it to take the water away. They don’t produce enough water to cause damp issues outside imo, but if you can let them into a drain, all the better. The hole will need to be lower than the outlet, I put my dehu on a bit of wood to raise it up, as it helps. You will need a 16mm sds drill if going through brick.
When it’s all done you don’t have to empty the water out, but don’t worry if it’s too much hassle, you won’t need to empty it more than once a day. I find it handy if going away.

Here’s my cheap and cheerful solution once you’ve got your dehu. Get a cardboard box 50cm square line it with 25mm kingspan, cutting holes that line up with the intake flap on your tent. Seal round the join with some duct tape and make sure you have a door You can open to empty the pot. Put a 1-2ft tube heater and your dehumidifier in there. The heater will make your dehu work more efficiently and you’ll have warmer air coming in. No tools needed, just scissors 😁

I use a dehumidifier in our bedroom which is right next to the lung & grow room on average it is pulling 2 litres of water every 48hrs, (there is also a bathroom with shower on this floor). My R/H is 50-70% in the tent. I have active intake fans.

How "nuts" does your R/H go?

large.A80A440A-BC87-42A9-8A4C-6E2FD1388A76.jpeg.661c0d3d7f8e621f739838d04164e9c6.jpeglarge.92F830F1-4CAA-434F-A5A8-098593C9ED03.jpeg.36567cf5ce92cdc6a0ea37a84ccae1c2.jpeglarge.D8192BBA-D071-4D50-AB6B-EDDDDFC0C980.jpeg.9e08f459b8cdfc1520728153a005faa5.jpeglarge.86A9F5EB-EBDB-45AF-9AF9-7858395CAC60.jpeg.12f2df9fe45e9824d7d2d4a5137c1e60.jpegGod or Jesus will sort outdoor R/H and one of them will it always happens you think you’re totally fucked then bing boing yes

16 minutes ago, Goohfy said:

Jesus will sort outdoor R/H and one of them will it always happens you think you’re totally fucked then bing boing yes

😁 I'll have half of half of whatever you have taken & we'll save the rest for the weekend and I'll book Monday off.

Edited by Lux_Interior
wrecked too
  • Haha 4