Newbie dehumidifier advice needed

LittleMissPuffit

Hi,

First time posting here as I need some advice about dehumidifiers. This stupid game is turning out to be expensive!

Right well Ive got a small 70x70cm tent set up in a box room, passive intake and exhaust to a wall vent outside and I stupidly thought Id get away with no dehumidifier. I have the lights on overnight and RH is about 58% and about 26-28 degrees but as soon as the lights go off the humidity goes nuts (and now my shitty secret jardin air circulation fan has died too). Im at week 6 with some autos and well into flowering so need this sorting ASAP. As i understand it I can use the box room as a 'lung room' and just put the dehumidifier in there and let the tent extractor pull the drier air through the tent?

So....Ive been looking at dehumidifiers and Ive narrowed it down to three models; Ecoair Summit S 12 litre/day for £150 and the Meaco Dry ABC 10 or 12 litre/day for £145/£165. Am i on the right path here? Would either of these be suitable? Has anyone got any experience using these models? Im presuming Meaco is better quality? Any other suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks 👍

And p.s excuse the user name I dont know what I was thinking! 🤣

Probreeze 12L is good. don't worry about lung room, make a duct from the output and duct that into your intake. get an inkbird ihc200 wifi and connect that dehumidifier to that, means you  can keep the probe in the tent and that will control the dehumidifier. Ive used a couple of probreeze and they are mustard, you just need to rig up a constant drain otherwise you'll be emptying it every day.

☮️

• Like 1

Raising the temps at night as the relative humidity should drop relative to the temp, although cooler air holds less water (relative). If you do buy a dehum, make sure it’s one you can plumb a hose into so you’ll never have to empty it and it won’t shutdown. 

• Like 3

Doing what @Slippy One said and keep the lights off temps higher stops the big swing in humidity. I use tube heaters in my 60x60x160.

My tent

large.Screenshot_20240203_203528_ACInfinity.jpg.637c133fccf3769549ec4ff36fa94d33.jpg

As for dehumidifier, just stick it in the room the tent is in, set it too between 40-50%rh job done, no need for all that other bolloxs for a 70x70 tent lol, plus it will help lower the mold risk in the room the tent is in👍

Meaco make solid dehumidifiers, compressor dehumidifiers are better indoor use.

Edited by Military Grade
forgot to add pic 🤦‍♂️
  • Like 4

47 minutes ago, Military Grade said:

compressor dehumidifiers are better indoor use

Who is dehumidifying outside?

Atb

:yinyang:

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Shumroom said:

Who is dehumidifying outside?

Sheds and lofts are not properly considered indoors when regarding dehumidifiers, In these two situations the user will have to go for a Desiccant version to work at lower temperatures👍

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Military Grade said:

Sheds and lofts are not properly considered indoors when regarding dehumidifiers, In these two situations the user will have to go for a Desiccant version to work at lower temperatures👍

I was actually just trying to make a funny,

imagining a dehumidifier sat out in the open 💭

My desiccant dehumidifiers don't do much except filter and de-ionise the air when the cold air comes in through the bathroom window,

so much so that I used to think the original was faulty,

so I checked with the backup and the same thing happens.

At what temperature do compressor type dehumidifiers loose efficiency?

Atb

☯️

• Like 1

Just now, Shumroom said:

I was actually just trying to make a funny,

Fair enough lol

1 minute ago, Shumroom said:

At what temperature do compressor type dehumidifiers loose efficiency?

18c and below i believe

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sweettooth said:

Probreeze 12L is good. don't worry about lung room, make a duct from the output and duct that into your intake. get an inkbird ihc200 wifi and connect that dehumidifier to that, means you  can keep the probe in the tent and that will control the dehumidifier. Ive used a couple of probreeze and they are mustard, you just need to rig up a constant drain otherwise you'll be emptying it every day.

☮️

Thats a damn good idea Im guessing it would make the temps and humidity more stable? And i did look at the probreeze but got swayed by brand names as i dont really know what im doing and cant afford to buy twice....will have another look though as think a few people have mentioned it. Thanks 👍

5 hours ago, Slippy One said:

Raising the temps at night as the relative humidity should drop relative to the temp, although cooler air holds less water (relative). If you do buy a dehum, make sure it’s one you can plumb a hose into so you’ll never have to empty it and it won’t shutdown. 

Yeh I have lights on overnight so its warmer as i turn my central heating off......that is what you mean? Bloody hell I can see this being a steep learning curve! Thanks 👍

4 hours ago, Military Grade said:

Doing what @Slippy One said and keep the lights off temps higher stops the big swing in humidity. I use tube heaters in my 60x60x160.

My tent

large.Screenshot_20240203_203528_ACInfinity.jpg.637c133fccf3769549ec4ff36fa94d33.jpg

As for dehumidifier, just stick it in the room the tent is in, set it too between 40-50%rh job done, no need for all that other bolloxs for a 70x70 tent lol, plus it will help lower the mold risk in the room the tent is in👍

Meaco make solid dehumidifiers, compressor dehumidifiers are better indoor use.

Think ill prob try it in the room as you suggest and see how I go. Can always try the ducting trick or a inkbird controller if needed. Thanks 👍

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply and help me out.....looks like im in the right place 🙂 Will have a nosey at the probreeze......but if I go with the Meaco do you reckon Id get away with the 10 litre as oppose to the 12? Skint being the operative word 😆

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, LittleMissPuffit said:

Can always try the ducting trick or a inkbird controller if needed.

The problem with that is if that's your intake, then it's only getting dry air when the dehumidifier is on, soon as it turns of your intake will be sucking in cold damp air from the defrosting radiator in the dehumidifier. this will then mean the dehumidifier will have to turn back on sooner making it inefficient.

When it's in the room your 70x70 tents passive intakes will be taking in a more constant stable intake of warm dry air from the lung/room regardless of if the dehumidifier is on or off.

• Like 2