What To Do With Residue?

MindSoup

27 minutes ago, MindSoup said:

Hmm canna coconut oil yoghurt might be a shout :hippy:

Just leave it in to soak. Depending how dry the residue is will determine how long it takes, I think. If you use straight coconut oil, it will have to be warmed to melt. The temperatures I mentioned earlier were for decarbing afterwards... not sure it needs it with iso.

Edited by catweazle1

6 hours ago, Shogun said:

I can get a 750ml bottle of Stroh 80 rum for £25 from a local whiskey shop.

I was looking at this earlier today but the best price I found was £33 where can you get it for 25 dude?

6 hours ago, Shogun said:

leaves a lovely butter scotch flavour in the tincture

It was the flavours the got me interested didnt fancy the tasteless spiritus

9 hours ago, Shogun said:

Polish Spirytus vodka (96% alcohol)

I use this for making FECO :yep:

takes a while to evap the last bit off without blasting it with heat but way better than using ISO

Edited by Joolz
  • Like 1

Yeah I need to move away from iso really, but it's just too convenient and I've got 5L of it already so was the quickest solution this time. @Joolz if it's just for feco I'd recommend the food grade ethanol from liquid essences. It's a fair bit cheaper and higher abv so its a bit easier to evaporate off at the end. 

• Like 2

Went for @catweazle1s idea this time, has some MCT in the cupboard so thought why not.

Thanks chums :hippy:

• Like 2

They had a sale on one mothers day on liquiq essences, it was something silly like £88 for 10 ltrs. 

Dunno whose mother uses it mind lol

• Like 2

I'm only using RSO (ISO) for skin creams or neat for cleaning the residue. I also use ISO for bongs, and vape cleaning, but as has been said, food grade ethanol is all I'd use for edible oil. £80 for 5L is the price we pay for healthy living. 

Anyway, you should be making enough oil to not worry about the residue! ;) 

• Like 1

What actually is the health risk of using Isopropyl then? My understanding was that it's all gone once you've finished making it? Is that other 0.1% something really nasty? 

@Slippy One TBF I normally don't worry too much, once I get bored of scraping I tend to discard the rest or leave the dish in a bag for next time. But I've run out of bud and it's about 5 weeks to the next crop so I'm being really stingy this time lol

• Like 1

The science will tell you the volatile compounds are long gone by the time a 120C purge of the oil is done. But there's always a chance it's not done right.. 

15 hours ago, Joolz said:

I use this for making FECO :yep:

takes a while to evap the last bit off without blasting it with heat but way better than using ISO

I knew a Polish dude who used to drink this neat after a long days beer swilling. The trick was to hold your nose before knocking your head back to swallow., Fuck that. lol

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Yeah and TBH I never even bother getting it to 120 lol. Shouldn't laugh really, I'm trying to take my health a bit more seriously these days, but to me that means not eating speed and drinking 10 units every day. Need to set a new benchmark maybe lol

Edited by MindSoup

Washing it with high proof alcohol and then using it as a tincture is gonna be the best combination of effectiveness and low mess. 

You can then use the tincture as a tincture.  Or put it into drinks etc pretty easily.  Just be careful.  If you're putting a couple eye droppers into something like a sauce etc it's gonna carry the same risk as something like a flambe' or making a congac sauce would.  

There's never NO risk of fire when you're cooking with alcohols, even with a small amount.  You could dilute the tincture with water before cooking with it ( if you chose to use it that way) to lower the proof, and that would likely give you a reduction in fire risk. but exercise caution.  

If you go that route make sure you use some sort of alcohol "for human consumption."  In the states high proof ethanol is sold under the brand "golden grain".  I'd suspect y'all probably have a brand that's very Eastern European.  Maybe some high proof Grappa or something?  You need something that's in the 70% (140 proof) alcohol range.  Maybe you can find some sort of "bottled in bond" or "cask strength" brown liquor that is that high proof.  

The clear fire water is the path of least resistance though.  I'm a million percent confident that yall have it over there.  

Depends how you make the oil and what material you use. But decarbing last is easy and won't stank up the house. Search for oil baths, and my gas hob on lowest reaches a steady 120 easy. 

5 minutes ago, MindSoup said:

What actually is the health risk of using Isopropyl then? My understanding was that it's all gone once you've finished making it? Is that other 0.1% something really nasty? 

@Slippy One TBF I normally don't worry too much, once I get bored of scraping I tend to discard the rest or leave the dish in a bag for next time. But I've run out of bud and it's about 5 weeks to the next crop so I'm being really stingy this time lol

As long as it is highly purified (99+%), and evaporated afterwards, there'll be no residue.