What To Do With Residue?

MindSoup

Every time I make some iso oil/BHO/QWET etc I end up with a load of the stuff left over in the evaporation dish that's an absolute nightmare to get off, but I never like wasting it. Any tips for getting it all off? Either as it is or maybe cooking it into some butter or something? 

I've tried using rum/vodka to wash it off in the past but it didn't work, maybe above a certain ABV it's a bit easier? 

Also I have a vague memory about decarboxylation, does the process of solvent extraction decarboxylate the THC or am I remembering it it wrong?  

TIA 

I warm it up and use a Stanley knife blade . There is always a bit left though.

Yeah it's that bit that's left over that I'm on about, I'm dry at the moment, hence making the oil, so seeing about 20 dabs just stuck to the glass is niggling at me lol

• Like 1

I'm thinking I might grab 500ml of food grade ethanol and use that to make it all into a tincture and then proof it down a bit. 

Stroh 80 proof rum (80% alcohol) or Polish Spirytus vodka (96% alcohol) will remove it and are perfect for tinctures. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, MindSoup said:

I'm thinking I might grab 500ml of food grade ethanol and use that to make it all into a tincture and then proof it down a bit. 

heat it, scrape it with a dabber. 

heat it slightly again and smother a rolling paper with it. 

assuming you smoke etc. 

Edited by JonDaMon
  • Like 1

@Shogun that sounds like a shout, but I bet it's more expensive than the food grade ethanol, 500ml for 17 quid iirc, obviously it tastes horrendous, but you just put the dropper into a drink instead of on your tongue. 

@JonDaMon bit more caveman but I like it, I reckon I'll give that a go tonight while I wait for the ethanol. 

• Like 1

I have a jar of ipa i just wash stuff in and once is dark enough colour evaporate off and any residue i cant get off i add some ipa and start a new jar with it.

Edited by highgrower
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, MindSoup said:

@Shogun that sounds like a shout, but I bet it's more expensive than the food grade ethanol, 500ml for 17 quid iirc, obviously it tastes horrendous, but you just put the dropper into a drink instead of on your tongue. 

@JonDaMon

I can get a 750ml bottle of Stroh 80 rum for £25 from a local whiskey shop. It's nothing fancy, an old sailors rum. It leaves a lovely butter scotch flavour in the tincture. I drop it right under my tongue so it kicks in in 20minutes. 

Spiritus is more expensive, about £30 for 500ml.

I just use a razor blade, they flex enough to conform to the contours of the pyrex dish I use for BHO so I can always get every last bit scraped up.

@Shogun I do love Rum, but I haven't found anywhere local that sells it at a high enough and, can get everclear fro. Supermarket but it really doesn't taste much better than the food grade ethanol lol

@latigid aikon your a more patient man than myself lol. What I'm going to do for the future is buy some sort of big silicone dish, then I can just chuck it in the freezer and shatter all the residue off I to a smaller container, but this time round I think I'll make some tincture, haven't had any for a while. 

• Like 1

@highgrower, another good suggestion for future batches. I'm too desperate at the moment, need everything I can get asap lol.

40 minutes ago, MindSoup said:

What I'm going to do for the future is buy some sort of big silicone dish

No, no I won't do that actually lol

You could maybe wash it in a wee bit of warm coconut oil or similar?

Atb

:yinyang:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MindSoup said:

Yeah it's that bit that's left over that I'm on about, I'm dry at the moment, hence making the oil, so seeing about 20 dabs just stuck to the glass is niggling at me lol

Try 'washing and scrubbing with it with MCT oil... it's liquid. Let it soak for a bit first. Heat to 150c for 15mins or 120c for 30 minutes. An ir thermometer would be useful to set the temp. Guesstimate  the amount on the container and add about 10x of oil to it and clean it. Warming it might help too.

• Like 2