Little white bugs in coco

Aphatspliff

Been having issues the last couple weeks. First noticed a leaf that looked like it had been eaten by something. Checked the plants over couldn’t find anything, then one day when I was watering I noticed a little black insect flying about and sit on the wall of the tent, managed to squat it. Next day managed to squat 3 more. Not seen any since, or had anymore chomped leaves but something didn’t seem right and started to have what seemed like some sort of deficiency on one of the strains. The tents split in half with 2 different strains. One half seems fine, nice colour and praying leaves but the other is looking sicker by the day for the last week. First I noticed a couple pistils browning (around day 25 flower). Tips have started clawing and looking burnt, colour of leaves going lighter between the veins and some random rust spots and lines around a couple of the edges of the leaves. I’m only feeding them at 1.2 ec and run off is coming out around that upto 1.3-.4 on some. Today I’ve pulled back the layer of clay pebbles on top of the pots and noticed a couple little skinny white bugs scurry away :thumbdown: I’m thinking fungus gnats but never had many pest issues before (only spider mites) so don’t know for sure… what do you reckon people? Being in flower I’m probably not going to be able to do a lot now but I’ve ordered some nematodes, just praying they turn up quick as the plants definitely getting worse pretty fast 

Sound very much like springtails are the white things your seeing . And the flying ones are fungus gnats they can be sorted with drops of tanlin in the water feeds made by Cx horticulture. If there springtails they don’t do overt much damage I have them now and then with no adverse effects. The lighting of your leaves if it’s around 25 days of flower is probably magne/ cal deficiency usually appears 2-3 week in flower again easily rectified.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Aphatspliff said:

Today I’ve pulled back the layer of clay pebbles on top of the pots and noticed a couple little skinny white bugs scurry away :thumbdown:

Fungus gnat larvae move like a worm, scurry suggest to me they're springtails - they're harmless and not a cause for concern.

Just now, Devon Cream said:

And the flying ones are fungus gnats they can be sorted with drops of tanlin in the water feeds made by Cx horticulture.

Tanlin was always my go-to product, to the point where I used it as a matter of course on mums/propagation - until it just seemed to stop working (which I don't understand, considering its supposed to work on a physical mode of action). I use mosquito bits now, loads better - its as though it kills the larvae on contact.

• Like 4

Just now, GSZZ said:

Fungus gnat larvae move like a worm, scurry suggest to me they're springtails - they're harmless and not a cause for concern.

Tanlin was always my go-to product, to the point where I used it as a matter of course on mums/propagation - until it just seemed to stop working (which I don't understand, considering its supposed to work on a physical mode of action). I use mosquito bits now, loads better - its as though it kills the larvae on contact.

weird mate iv used tanlin for years can’t remember the previous name of it but iv no issues of it not working for me. Maybe the do get immunity to it what’s the mosquito bits you talk of GSZZ?.

Thanks for your input @Devon Cream and @GSZZ. I see the other day on someone’s instagram story that they’d just potted up with some new canna coco and the amount of springtails that had washed through in the run off was crazy so hopefully it is that and not fungus gnat larvae. They did move very quick, I’d really struggle to get a pic of them. 

With the fungus gnats, like I said I’ve only seen those 4 and squatted them, not seen any since. Put sticky traps on all 4 corner plants at pot level and got a couple at canopy level but not picked anything up. Do you think I got all the adults or is there more than likely more hiding or are they usually very visible?

Hopefully I got them and if I can work fast enough kill off any larvae before they hatch? 

Never heard of these mosquito bits before, any chance of a bit more on them? Would I be able to get them from a grow shop? Post is slow with the backlog at the minute  

Couple more questions whilst I’ve thought of them..

Do you think I would have bought gnats in from outside on my clothes or can they work their own way in?

And do they cause your plant to look like it’s having some sort of lock out/deficiency? Devon mentioned cal mag but I had my water tested by GA around 6 months ago and I have high calcium. They recommend adding 1g of Epsom salts to 10l every watering to balance the ratio out. Never had any problem on the last run with it so I don’t think that’s the problem?

i used mosquito bits a couple of years ago, if you have house plants, dose them as well as they can reinvest your grow, i dosed everything, house plants too and that sorted them out proper.

• Like 1

Just now, Aphatspliff said:

Couple more questions whilst I’ve thought of them..

Do you think I would have bought gnats in from outside on my clothes or can they work their own way in?

And do they cause your plant to look like it’s having some sort of lock out/deficiency? Devon mentioned cal mag but I had my water tested by GA around 6 months ago and I have high calcium. They recommend adding 1g of Epsom salts to 10l every watering to balance the ratio out. Never had any problem on the last run with it so I don’t think that’s the problem?

Mate there like magic my friend has a sealed room ott on cleanliness everything is on point he so careful. But still seems to get gnats in his coco lol there like magic and just appear probably came in his coco . I’m not sure what product GSZZ was on about I’m sure he will pop back to elaborate on it. Iv never had water samples but were soft area of water iv gotta add magne/cal to a few feeds weekly otherwise get deficiency.

• Like 1

Its a strain of bacteria that produces a toxin thats lethal to flies, so it kills mosquitos, fungas gnats and some other stuff. It doesn't work on contact, but it almost seems to - things stop moving very quickly, usually by the next day larvae are completely gone. 4 tablespoons (about 60gram?) in 4L of water and let it soak for 30mins then water it through the pots, a repeat application is probably neccesary to deal with any adults that will lay further eggs. The strain of bacteria is called Bacillus thuringiensis subsp. israelensis the product available is called Mosquito Bits - all this information is readily avaible by just googling "mosquito bits"

Edited by GSZZ
  • Like 4

Nice one dude, appreciate the help. Can’t find any shops near me that sell it so next day Amazon will have to do. I take it they’re ok to mix with nutes or would you just use plain water?

56 minutes ago, Aphatspliff said:

Nice one dude, appreciate the help. Can’t find any shops near me that sell it so next day Amazon will have to do. I take it they’re ok to mix with nutes or would you just use plain water?

I think Amazon is the only place you can get it tbh - you'd assume it'd be alright to mix with nutrients, but I didn't take the risk and just used plain water.

Edited by GSZZ
  • Like 2

Thanks for the info GSZZ I’ll give that a go . Personally I think I’ll just water the product in and wash thru without nutrients. Every days a school day!

I regularly mix my nutrients and BTI either from Mosquito bits or The Mosquito Company tablets(though these are harder to get nowadays) with no problems to report :thumsup:

It’s just like adding liquid mycorrhizae etc,

a beneficial bacteria(I think) ;) 

@Cursedmight have an opinion on the subject?

Atb

:yinyang:

• Like 1

Living soils do one too called "Gnat Attack" which is a powder form of Bti and is easy to apply.

Combined with nematodes and some sticky traps for the adults (placed right on the soil) they are a proper two-punch knockout. Currently using them on all the house plants so I can kill all the little buggers.

• Like 2