Cloning for sex

Got the 3x Panama & 4x Zamaldelica cuttings under the canopy of a (hopefully) stretchy Sweet Amnesia, which is having her first 12hr sleep tonight. Wish me luck I see sex in less than a month!! lol

large.IMG_3231.jpeg.d2639940ae45fb56ebb8848f7daeba67.jpeg

• Like 1

It's a good job we all know this is a canna forum eh? That title could be seen as extremely sinister lol 

• Haha 3

5 days of 12/12, still no signs of hairs or balls. I'm guessing another week or 2. Jeezus there must be a reason pure sativas aren't popular with growers.. :D

On 25/01/2024 at 16:20, Hashslag said:

It's a good job we all know this is a canna forum eh? That title could be seen as extremely sinister lol 

lol

@Slippy One It'll be interesting to see how long it'll take! Good luck! 

I'm planning on running some sativa's next and will probably give this a go if it works out for you in under a month🤣

I think it's either that or grow them until sex then chop them back to 3-4 nodes and flower immediately to keep them a manageable size.

Regarding flowering, are you going to keep them in small pots until stretch is nearly done?

I've seen that mentioned a lot to help with size indoors.

I'm thinking to flip in 1.5-3L pots, then after a few weeks stretch pot up to 5L or something, what do you guys think? I'm in a 75x75x200 and hoping for 4-5 females.

I'm pretty sure I've had this sort of convo with highgrower before but be fucked if I remember so I'm off to look as i know hes ran quite a few sats lately.

:yinyang:

• Like 1

They’re nearly 7 weeks in the veg cabinet, and seed mums not show any sign of gender at all, so you’ll want to clone for sex straight away, in fact the smart way would be to take a cutting for a mum and flower the seedling, but I’m almost certain Ace Seed do a feminised range, I think I was just saving money with mixed beans. 

Anyway, it’s good news on the lady front, after 8 days in the flower box, have confirmed a few genders and a few still waiting to show.

It’s been a pain to manually water these every day, so maybe the unrooted cup of water method is better, especially if they show after 1 week. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen anyone successfully do this trick, if anyone has tried a water cutting technique, let me know.. 

Here’s the rooted cuttings piggybacking on the Sweet Amnesia SCROG: 

large.IMG_3261.jpeg.5175367ebf3933a520073cf640f5d39e.jpeg

And here’s the 7. Still a few unknowns, but the few conformed boys have already made loads of space in the nursery, so I can concentrate on the ladies. 

large.IMG_3264.jpeg.c1d3e2a68e4c8eccfd90612681b1f022.jpeglarge.IMG_3266.jpeg.fc0ecb834e50ecc647f42da408fb7bb4.jpeglarge.IMG_3268.jpeg.f7b091e081ce5f7fd9770d2d14689402.jpeglarge.IMG_3270.jpeg.1b24bbf30c6493ed027bad64bb8781b2.jpeglarge.IMG_3272.jpeg.f7fc5dcd3a3322eba57b8cbe5ae1abbb.jpeglarge.IMG_3274.jpeg.8c0ac99f9719eb1f50f50f637bc0d9fc.jpeglarge.IMG_3276.jpeg.c01901676fc8bb85ac0331cde9adfdd8.jpeg

Pure sativa mum hunt is a looooong process.. 🥱 😴 💤

Edited by Slippy One
  • Like 1

Looking good though @Slippy One is that just under 2 weeks to show sex from a rooted cut? If so that's not bad!

I reckon I'll try take a cut within 2-3 weeks and hope for them to show sex in 3 weeks. If not I'll have a play around and see what happens.

Good luck with it, I'll be following to see how they flower! 

• Like 1

@Shaggy1Yeah, 9/10 days in the 12/12 cabinet and 5 of 7 have shown gender, still 2 in the flowerbox labelled unknown. 

Please take your 1st cutting and try the water/vase method to see if it works. I'll be happy once I find a nice mum, preferably with a 14 week flower, not 16-20 weeks..

To be fair, my cuttings were nearly 2 months old, that's possibly why mine revealed early, 3 week old seedling milage may vary. :D 

• Like 1

@Slippy One Ye 2 month old probably made the difference, it's still promising for them to show sex so quick I'd say, long flowering sats are supposed to take weeks to stretch aren't they! 

I'll give the water method a go but I'm abit hesitant as I tried just rooting some cuts in a glass just to see and they wilted in a week or so, but they weren't in my tent, just in a spare room so that might not have helped. I'll definitely give it a go though, I imagine as soon as I chop them they'll go mental so I'll have loads to chop at 🤣

Same as you though, I'm hoping for something 14 weeks or less. I'm going for Panama, Tikal , chocolate Nevil madness and super sour Thai nevil to start, but have some more wild sativa's if I've got the bottle and space down the line!

Edited by Shaggy1
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, Shaggy1 said:

@Slippy One  I'd say, long flowering sats are supposed to take weeks to stretch aren't they! 

I've no idea! I guess I'll find out, my biggest fear is that after 14-16 weeks, the yield is crap, and potency is meh. Looks like I'll have 3 possible ladies to choose from, but those last 2 no reveals, might be late boys. Would suck to have 1 lady from 7 though. I think my first lady might be the fastest to finish, after revealing herself the earliest. 

• Like 1

@Slippy One nah I think you'll be sweet regarding the potency and yields of those 2! I've read up a lot on ace strains, they're generally quite worked lines and these 2 are up there in the potency and yield department from what I've seen! There's more Narcotic fast plants in the Panama too that'll finish in 9-10 weeks, not as much chance with the zamaldelica though🤣

What size pots you going for?

I'm wondering if they could be tamed with some proper training if they had big pots. Or if they'd just keep growing to like 10+ft, wrapping around the tent:skin_up:

I'll put them in 3L pots with blumats and an overdose of beanstalks and just grin and bear it with the need for manual watering in the later stages. Beanstalk do say I can add more pellets over the surface if they run out of food, but that doesn't sound compatible with blumats, so I'll be on standby with liquid nutes, needs be at the end. If successful, I'll have a pure sat mum that I can get to know better next winter, as it'll be early summer when the race to find a winner ends. 

• Like 1

Ye I'm thinking along those lines too slippy! Minus the beanstalk and blumats. Hope you find what you're looking for!

Then we'll find out how hard it is to keep a sat mum, my sour mum is hard enough🤣

Another dude discovered. Leaving 1 lady Zamaldelica and 1 shy Panama still unknown. 

taking ages though, if I had this last remaining Panama cutting in a glass of water, it would be dead by now. 

Sativa’s taking forever to sex clones.

100% recommend buying feminised 😆

dude! 

large.IMG_3287.jpeg.7cf8e33c816d728dc37b97891a9ad060.jpeg

sexless 10 week old plant .. I think if it’s a girl, she’s a 20+ weeker.. which I’m not sure I’ve got the patience for.. 🫡

large.IMG_3290.jpeg.45ebe24161e502b54333501da07b511e.jpeglarge.IMG_3291.jpeg.d3133625b89117371ce08ef62099b6d3.jpeg

• Like 2

I put a male Panama outside last year it flowered on the 22nd September, had a lovely fruity smell to the flowers, I was quite surprised it flowered so early but it was quite a root bound mature cutting.