Cloning for sex

Just wondering if I can just drop cuttings into water to see sex or should they be rooted before going into the flower box? These are sativa genes (PANAMA/ZAMALDELICA), and are already 4 weeks old with no signs of gender yet. Is this possible? Anyone tried this recently? 

Cheers

• Like 2

I'm not to sure mate I've never done it that way, I usually wait until they show sex then either flower the seed plant or take a few cuts and run with them. It would be a quick way to see what you've got so interested to see if anyone has any experience doing it.

Another option is to flip to flower until they show sex then back to veg. I'm checking some seeds atm and might end up doing this if I don't get the number of females I'm after just to try and fill the space a bit more.

• Like 1
Just now, Hazeytones said:

Another option is to flip to flower until they show sex then back to veg. I'm checking some seeds atm and might end up doing this if I don't get the number of females I'm after just to try and fill the space a bit more.

I've got a few semi-autoi bonsai mums that kinda freak out after starting flower. Takes them months to stop throwing out 1-3 fingered leaves after flowering starts. :( 

• Like 2

Maybe not the best idea to go in and out of flower then. 

If you can't do it in the water you might be best just to wait, by the time you get cuts rooted and to show sex I'm sure the ones you have at 4 weeks will start to show.

• Like 2

I just let them grow with no topping until they show sex only usually takes 3-4wks, I then will top them and try to root the top just incase theres summit special....better to let nature take its course:smokin:

Edited by mr rhino
  • Like 4

The more sativa often the longer they take to show sex. 

Can be a bit of a pita 

• Like 4
20 hours ago, Slippy One said:

Just wondering if I can just drop cuttings into water to see sex or should they be rooted before going into the flower box? These are sativa genes (PANAMA/ZAMALDELICA), and are already 4 weeks old with no signs of gender yet. Is this possible? Anyone tried this recently? 

Cheers

alternative for you (old school way) you can black bag a branch for 12 hours a day and it should show sex without having to remove anything. 

obviously it’s a bit laborious to do it. 

you’re way of using a clone in water may work it’s basically DWC but without any roots. 

it may take just as long as rooting it and then popping into the flower room but you could try it. 

no harm in trying. 

• Like 2

I’ll post my progress, I’m just going to take cuttings the usual way, with cubes and propagator style. 

• Like 3

'You can technically take cuttings from both vegging and flowering cannabis plants. However, cuttings taken from a flowering plant may take longer to root and tend to exhibit slower growth. They'll also need to be reverted back to veg for about 2–3 weeks before you can flip them into flower again.'

This is why I take a couple of cuttings just before going into flower and if the parent is male just dump them.

Keep it simple.

• Like 2

It's normal for very NLD plants.  Everything is slower.  If they take 16 weeks to flower to completion, then flower initiation is going to be longer, proportionally.  It's just how it is. 

If anything, I'd speculate that taking cuttings and then attempting to flower them while rooting would do more harm than good with respect to initiating flower. 

They're just slow to initiate because their flowering period is 2x-3x that of a very BLD line.

That's just how it be.  Taking cuttings off them once they show sex, documenting that and keeping the cuttings is the way to go.  

But nothing is gonna speed them up showing sex.  NLD gonna do NLD shit. 

It is worth mentioning that, if you havent already, you should consider flowering them under shorter lights-on periods.  I've had columbian lines that flat out WILL NOT initiate flower at 12 hours.  They wont initiate until you hit the 11 hour mark and they will flower indefinitely if you leave them at 11 hours.  you have to knock them down to 9.5-10 hours to get them to finish. 

Research day length cycles of their origin location and them mimmick that.  The plants are just doing what they are programmed to do through their eons of living at a specific location.  

Match the location and it'll go as quickly as it can. 

Edited by Cajafiesta
  • Like 3
On 1/4/2024 at 1:55 AM, Peregrine said:

They'll also need to be reverted back to veg for about 2–3 weeks

I'd speculate that a 2-3 week reveg, for these genetics, wouldn't do much. 

Probably more like months of reveg to get them back to a stable vegetative state. 

But that's just my opinion.  

• Like 1
On 02/01/2024 at 5:10 PM, Slippy One said:

Cheers

Im 7 weeks in from seed on 8 plants, Ghettoblaster and Exodus bx1 with alternating internodes and still no signs as of yet. I desperately want to cull any males for space in the tent and so i can re pot into finals. I did top them though and cold temps at night so growth is slow. Also under a LED so they are too bushy for my liking atm.

MistY

• Like 1

Yeah I’d guess and say narrow leaf varieties won’t show sex until 2nd or 3rd week of flower. For this reason I’m going to root the clones first after reading about the ballache of changing the water every few days.. should’ve known there’s no shortcuts with Sativas! lol 

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Slippy One said:

until 2nd or 3rd week

Perhaps longer than that. I flowered a male that took 18 days to just begin to show sex and that was under 10-10.5 hours light. Wasn’t dropping pollen consistently until…maybe it was day 40-45? 

It’s all 100% tied to origin location light cycles. If you’re dealing with an equatorial plant, the longest day they EVER get might be something like 12.5-13 hours. So the plant doesn’t acknowledge anything above , say, 11 hours as a “diminishing light period.” 

if you haven’t, I’d really encourage knocking light down to 11 hours or so. It’s the most effective input you can have to flower a Sat faster. It still won’t be fast, but it gives you the best starting point for speeding it up. 

• Like 1

Hell yeah @Cajafiesta, I’ve got a sweet amnesia to flower next, just don’t want any male narrow leaves taking up space in the nursery. :yep: