Diesel Heaters?

Chal

@Flamedodger mentioned these, to me. Absolutely first I'd ever heard of them! So, why are we not discussing them ~ that I know of?

Certainly an interesting concept. Run on diesel / paraffin and such. Some seem to have in built thermostats. Seemingly 'cheap' to run. Not exactly ridiculous prices to buy either.

Alright; They take an iota of plumbing in. But, doesn't a fucking tent? I had a four inch hole punched through the wall of my originally planned Groom. One or two dinky little ones, for one of these things, won't stop me!

I've only managed a cursory dash around DDG, thus far. My initial impressions are that: 1. There's a shit ton of chink stuff out there. 2. I'm extremely concerned about their constant running ability. 3. Don't think they're something we could really stick an Inkbird on. Or are they? :g:

Anyone care / able to expand, for the good of all of us? What's the craic, lads? The good. The bad. And the nightmares.

:yep:

• Like 1

Its a dry heat, thinking about it that's probably better than it sending yer humidity through the roof, especially this time of year (continuous autumn)

And probably quite manageable with a smaller heater.

:yinyang:

• Like 1

Just now, BilgePump said:

Its a dry heat, thinking about it that's probably better than it sending yer humidity through the roof, especially this time of year (continuous autumn)

And probably quite manageable with a smaller heater.

:yinyang:

That’s what I thought and cheaper to run a humidifier than a dehumidifier :yep:

If you warm the air, the RH drops. The diesel heater is no different to a convection heater, in this regard. It doesn't add any moisture. The combustion gases need an exhaust pipe, which is the main drawback. Just like an engine would.

We are hearing more about these, as gas prices passed those of diesel for a while. Now gas is cheaper again. Presuming you are on the mains. As if you are using bottled gas, you would be better using diesel. This suits off grid, such as boats and the lorries, where we usually find these.

China has started boxing up lorry units with diesel tanks for portable use. This is what most of the things we find cheap are.

As you probably have a gas supply, you should probably just use it. It's cheaper. Plus you already have it installed.

*Chinese stuff, most manufactured goods are.  I'd be concerned about running the diesel heater around the clock and with the risk of any leaks or noxious fumes.  Is it that much cheaper to run a diesel heater than an oil heater?

It sounded like a great bet until I thought of how scary the electrical hazards already are potentially, then adding noxious gases to the mix...

Ahm oot.

Are these not generally used in motor homes? You need external intake & exhaust I think! Some noise! I'll stick with my tube heater and Inkbird for now I think.

• Like 2

Biggest problem is if the electric power supply cuts it stops spinning and shits itself chundering half burnt diesel gases down your air intake and catching fire.

• Like 2

Those cheap Chinese heaters work great, but you don't want to leave them unsupervised. I'd trust a webasto or a propex (bottle  gas) a bit better they're a lot more money but they're built to a proper standard. 

Edited by MindSoup

Just now, inceywinceyspider said:

Biggest problem is if the electric power supply cuts it stops spinning and shits itself chundering half burnt diesel gases down your air intake and catching fire.

:shock: Aaaaaand, that's Me out then too!!! If there's one thing I can absolutely guarantee here? It's Power Cuts!

Balls!!!

• Like 1

Just now, MindSoup said:

Propex  they're a lot more money but they're built to a proper standard. 

Ouch! Hell, yeah! Six Ton mark? Ooph! :ermm:

• Like 1

Just now, MindSoup said:

So what's the issue? Growing in a shed or garage? 

Mm. Basically. Freezing cold. Water practically running down the walls. RH, literally, off the scale.

Otherwise? It's a cracking little place! :rofl:

• Like 1

Just now, Chal said:

Mm. Basically. Freezing cold. Water practically running down the walls. RH, literally, off the scale.

Otherwise? It's a cracking little place! :rofl:

I bought a Meaco Eco 12L dehumidifier with a constant drain and it is pretty darned cheap to run.  I run it in my 10 x 8 shed which acts as the lung room for the tent in it.  I empty a gallon or two a day from it.