Laying down drying buds.

GreenVision

Hi all, have had to move my recently harvest buds down into the spare room, the loft is just too cold with no lights on, maintaing 13C during daytime at best.

So I've brought them down and I've been turning on the rad's every few hours to warm the room a little. It has done the job and they are getting there, they've done all thier shrinking etc and I dont think they have much left to go before they are dry enough to move onto next stage.

I need to get in there and get them manicured as they are still on 10" sized branches etc and have a fair bit of small leaf to still come off. But once I'm done I wont be able to hang them back up on the string. So I'm left with two choices, leave them on the branches for another 5 days to a week and hope they dry enough or manicure now but lay them down on a net.

I dont think there is enough moisture or weight left in them to be concerned with flat sides, Im just concerned as these have been drying now for over two weeks and I'm thinking if left they may take another week and the weather is not mold friendly atm.

Cheers.

• Like 1

I’ve had to lay buds down in newspaper lined boxes for a few years now as I have no where I can hang to dry. The missus won’t let me keep the boxes in the house because of the smell so they go in the shed. Granted this is in the summer so rot/mould is less of an issue but I’ve only lost little bits to mould and I think that was likely there before they went in the boxes. More of a concern was drastic changes in hot and cold and moisture on rainy days. It results in slightly less smell and taste but it’s necessary unfortunately, but it sounds like most of the drying is already done, and a cure usually helps bring it back. 

long story short, I’ve never had too many issues laying buds down. It results in less than optimal bud if done from chop so can’t really say how yours will end up but I doubt too much will go wrong.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, stu914 said:

Why is that GV?

Cos atm they are on branches, when I manicure to get all those little leaves off they will just be buds, now way of hanging them back on the string. When they are on a stalk I just do what most do and lift a little bud and hang it, but once all the buds are cut off there will be no stalk or little bud to lift etc.

• Like 1

I think.its fine to lay them out once they're dry enough like that and I have a couple of cardboard trays that I line with paper for doing it, making sure I'm happy before jarring etc.

• Like 3

@GreenVision

Ahh...OK, I thought you just stripped the leaves and left the buds on the stems to finish drying.

Tescos veg dept do a very nice line in mesh bags which are ideal for drying buds alone, 30p each I think.

• Like 1

My buds/branches get layed down on mesh shelves as soon as they're harvested, you end up with flat spots but it's not something that really bothers me, if they're half way dry already I'd imagine they'll hold they're shape a lot better. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stu914 said:

@GreenVision

Ahh...OK, I thought you just stripped the leaves and left the buds on the stems to finish drying.

Tescos veg dept do a very nice line in mesh bags which are ideal for drying buds alone, 30p each I think.

So do sainsburys. Look around the veg and fruit section.

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 1

Just now, Clubs said:

I leave about an inch of stalk when trimming a bud then stick it upright in a polystyrene slab.

That's pretty much the definition of flower arranging lol

• Like 6

Have we got some instagram influencers on here. lol Just kidding, we're all different. Dry, trim, freeze in one large bag. My bagged buds will win no beauty contest. It's all decarbed in the end.

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 5

Just now, latigid aikon said:

That's pretty much the definition of flower arranging lol

It does look kind of pretty tbf. Wish I had a pic of it. lol

• Like 2

3 hours ago, stu914 said:

@GreenVision

Just did a 3 hour manacuring shift, I have a drying rack / net I havent used since maybe 2015-16, only used it once even then. I've hung that up.

I'm a bit more confident now that they wont flatten, and even if they did it would so minimal it make zero difference to me. I'm not concerned about a flat edge, I was more concerned with the edge that does flatten might atill be a it too damp and mold might get in. Not sure if you remember but around the same time you had a little issue with it I found some in the crop as well. So it was already lurking, didn't want to turn a bud over in a few days and fins a big mass of fluffy white shite on me buds.

But as I say I'm quite sure there dry enough now. Seems a couple of days in a room with a better humidity and temps and given it what it needed, its actually smokeable now so I think im past the danger zone of mold. I hope.

PS. I know the bags you mean :yep:

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Clubs said:

stick it upright in a polystyrene slab

Someone else does this on the site, I cant remember who it was now but I saw it in a diary. Really good method / idea, but I have kids..... Any polystyrene I get in this house has to go straight into the wheelie bin or the kids make indoor snow with it.

I could defo save some in the loft, but at the drop of a hat I have ZERO chance of having some just lying around.

• Like 1