Any tips for pressing buds lads?

cypo74

large.IMG_0159.jpegHi all, just picked up a heated press, first attempt today and results were ok.

used some old bud while I get a hang of things, I have 120 micron bags and tried pressing at 88c for 3 mins then a second press for 5 mins. 

out of 5gms of bud I got 0.7 g return, it’s a dark brown colour, is that because it’s old bud (been in jars for 4 months) or is my temp too high for too long?? Or wrong size press bags?

thanks for any tips or tricks lads

Edited by cypo74
  • Like 1

I'm a rosin noob and only just recently got a cheap one, after using it two different sessions I hmfound 90c for 130 seconds was a good starting place with mine, I'm sure them plenty of room for improving my methods.

Your press looks a lot better than mine, I just use parchment paper without bags, and try not to press too much at once.

Some I've made already

large.20231127_035525.jpglarge.20231127_035502.jpglarge.20231117_034210.jpglarge.20231117_033923.jpglarge.20231117_010005.jpg

I also pressed some CBD flower but didn't take any pics of that.

Have you got a dab pen or anything? Since I got my press I've been using my dab pen more than my new dry herb vape lol , and the rosin lasts ages for the amount of material used(in comparison to smoking blunts). Still love toking my dry herb vape to tho.

I hope you enjoy mate :yep:

• Like 4

Thanks mate, no I’ve not got a dab pen, just 2 different dry herb vapes, I’ll have a look at those!!! 

cheers for the info, ganna have another bash today, your Rosin is deffo lighter in colour than mine, from reading I think it’s the age of the bud I’m using.

do you just go straight in with full pressure on the press or ramp it up slowly? 

cheers mate

• Like 1

I think that's a reasonable return on your first go with dry weed

4 months isn't that old in my opinion, I've read of people increasing the humidity to 75% or so overnight if it's too dry

I like to let the puck (bottle or chottle) warm up on the plates and increase the pressure slowly at first, before ramping up the pressure, and get it off the hot plates quickly to try to minimise the time it's sat there cooking the terps away.

• Like 3

@Hippie on hill

thanks mate, ganna have another bash shortly, I’ve not got a pre press yet, just packing the bags as best I can 

the bud had been stored with a 62% bovida pack

Edited by cypo74

Instead of buying a 30mm Aluminium or SS pre press mold (which they make for the 2" press bags) from one of the big name brands, I cut sections of standard 32mm pipe and 30mm broom handle to make my own lol and sometimes put that in a clamp to make the puck. 

Save your used pucks by the way, to decarb and make edibles or something with later. 

• Like 3

large.IMG_0169.jpegHad another bash, a couple of presses were with the 4 month old bud, yielded pretty well.

some further presses were don’t with some really shit genetic foxtail bud from some banana mac seeds, these were horrible plants, really whispy airy buds, these yielded really poorly for the amount of weed I pressed, but to be fair I was expecting it and it’s better than binning it which was what was going to happen as looking at it wound me up lol 

Funnily enough the product from the shit bud is really nice, way more waxy 

none of the strains used were super resinous anyway, making me want to pick up some of those sweet tooth 4 seeds from the uk420 shop to try 

Edited by cypo74
  • Like 2

@Hippie on hill

cheers for that, I’ll make one of those pre presses, not paying 50 quid for one lol

today I just filled the bags and then stood on some cold hair straighteners which gave me a better pack

Edited by cypo74
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, cypo74 said:

do you just go straight in with full pressure on the press or ramp it up slowly? 

My press is a leaver and lock style press, so I give it full pressure straight away, I think my press only goes upto 350kg.

• Like 1

@Military Grade

I bet that chelato press you made was lovely, I’m saving the rest of my beans for a run in the spring, when temps are a bit kinder, I want to see what they can do when conditions are nearer perfect.

still, got some relentless Tropicana cherry on the go at the mo, looking lovely for week 4 of 12/12

• Like 1

@cypo74  Yeah mate out of the 3 THC strains I pressed(Chelato, Godfather & Blue Cheese) that one was the nicest. Hands were very sticky after handling that strain lol

• Like 1

@cypo74  The Godfather wasn't to bad, problem was I was growing 6 different strain all at once in my summer experiment grow, and I was being lazy making up one big feed for them all, but some didn't like the strength than others so I over feed the Godfather as a result.

But it did Soldier threw and make it to the end. Went about 10/11 weeks iirc.

large.20231030_181457.jpglarge.20230925_212948.jpg

• Like 2

@Military Grade

thanks for that mate, looks good to me, they’ve just moved up the to do list a few spots lol 

my next few grows are going to be all one strain, done a few mix’s now and it’s a pain in the arse lol 

trouble is it’s nice to have a few strains in the jars so I don’t get bored 

• Like 1