Stepping off the treadmill

Crow River

Maybe shouldn't write this on the shortest day of the year. Could just be S.A.D. talking. Or general tiredness, bit of lurgy, and all that.

Thinking about taking a break from growing for a bit. Still got a few plants indoors, couple of Super Kush clones, a few Danish Gold, the remaining hemp survivors. Once they're all grown out I may switch off and pack away for a bit.

Reasoning is about risk versus reward. I've got a small mountain of weed to get through, that I've grown this year, plus some from last year too. So there's no shortage, probably got enough to last at least a year. If I'm fully stocked, maybe it doesn't make sense to grow even more, at least not for a while. Energy prices going up again in a few days' time, why spend money if there's no need? Similarly, why risk getting caught if I have an ample supply for personal use? Also, past few weeks I've just mot ben enjoying the growing so much. All feels a bit mechanical, going through the motions. Had a couple of setbacks too, but nothing disastrous. Could do with taking stock and figuring out which projects I really want to take on over the next year. 

I'm busier at work than I was earlier in the year, and that looks set to continue until at least late spring. So outdoor plans would probably have to be scaled back anyway, as I won't have as much time for all the prep work. I might still do some outdoors stuff over the summer, but on a much smaller scale. Maybe I'll continue with a bit of pollen chucking, but a bit more focused on a few strains.

I'm behind on moving my grow setup out of the living quarters to the lockup. It might make more sense to spend time trying to get that sorted out, do it right, without rushing or too much pressure. Also I want to take a summer holiday for a change - not had one since 2019! A less ambitious growing year will give me time to explore processing - trying out ways I've not done before. 

Things might change, but that's my thoughts for now. A more chilled year, hopefully coming out the other end of it with a clearer idea of what to do in 2025...

Peace. :yinyang::hippy:

• Like 13

Sounds like the right decision to me dude, probably hard to bleed persi when you've got half a Key in stock and your still growing lol. Like you say it's a bit relentless at times, it might only be half an hour a day, but it's every single day and it does get tiresome. If I could get enough jars filled I'd probably have a wee break as well. It will definitely be a lot more chilled to play around with the new setup and get everything how you want it without the pressure of having plants to run. 

The one big downside to growing for me is the fact it limits my travel, especially now I have mum's I'm trying to keep hold of. I'm very lucky to have a few grow buddies now, we take turns to look after each others grows when we want to go away for a while, but I really miss just fucking off for a month or 2 with no clue when I'll be home. 

As passionate as I am about it, there's more to life than growing weed... 

• Like 9

@Crow River what your saying dude makes perfect sense to me..why temp fate if you don't need to..growing weed indoors with the cost and risk doesn't make sense if your sitting on plenty of stock, it's greed really but when you love something and are passionate about it its hard to keep things in perspective.

You have taken a lot on with all the ideas and I can imagine that could be quite stressful so just do what you think is best.

It may be time to just kick back for a while and just enjoy the fruits of your labour.

Be lucky dude :yinyang:

• Like 6

It may be the weather talking but here's my experience bro;

I've had to lock off indoors due to a nosy plumber/my poor concealment. It's why I've been quieter on here, as I have been a tad bitter that everyone else is still rolling.

However, I'm also smoking less and more aware of shit needing doing, and I'm less tethered to the groom so been getting out more, as opposed to previous years where I drop a stone or two in GG summers, then double it up smoking and eating in the off season.

I've also had more free time for those who mean something to me. I'm getting down to my grans weekly instead of hanging around even at lights off on guard duty, I'm spending more time with my nephew who has autism/adhd/No other male role models, and that's been plenty enough buzz for me. In the 3 years prior he wouldn't go near my pooch, within a month of relating to him these fuckers are better mates than they are with me lol

I say give it a shot mate. Worst comes to worst you still have a clean run to get back into it when you need to.

• Like 6

Dude you got to do whats right for you. :yep:

For me i dunno how many outdoor seasons i got left this season gone was a killer.

I lost nearly 2 stone this year 2 plots 2 visits a week miles apart and miles from home.

It ain't getting any easier thats for sure dude.

• Like 8

Folks, thanks for the comments.

I think we all get a bit obsessed, or even possessed by this hobby now and again. Certainly happened to me over the past year and a bit. Time to step back and rebalance things so they're more manageable. Consuming more than producing for a while, at least until the jars have been emptied a bit more than they are at the moment. 

Having said that, it will be a couple of months before the clones finish flowering (still in veg) so it will be more a winding down rather than an abrupt stop. I've still got my allotment to tend, so there will be fresh air and maybe some sunshine too. The outdoors grows this year definitely improved my fitness, but recent events at the railway showed that it was just pure luck I wasn't ripped or busted earlier in the season. I need to de-risk: some outdoor plots will be left fallow next year, makes sense that they would be the ones with a higher chance of being seen and/or ripped/busted.

If I do some smaller grows over summer, I need to think about whether there'll be a diary or not. Part of the problem with being on here regularly is seeing everyone's diaries and wanting to join in the fun. Will have to resist that temptation and have a bit more self discipline. There are so many strains I'd like to try, but will try and be content with a more more modest selection next season.

Cheers for now and all the best for the festive season.

Edited by Crow River
  • Like 7

@Crow River

It's so easy to get caught up in buying different strain, from different breeders and seed banks. 

Then you end up with loads of seeds, don't know what to go with, and end up growing way more than what you will need, (well I do anyway). Then it kinda turns into a job  instead of a hobby. Plus the stress that can and does be attached to it.

I can fully understand where your coming from.

I think, for me anyway, less is more. 

Atb, with whatever you decide to do in the coming season. 

• Like 4

Ive just come back to growing after a 9 year break. Not smoked for all that time either. It was getting in the way of living and i lost the passion for it. I just fancied a change and a change is as good as a rest. 

It sounds like a good choice that your making so go for it

MistY

• Like 3

im on a break from growing too, for the same reasons. im down to my last kilo , but not chonging anything like as much as i used to

. ive taken up some other interests, and although i know ill go back to growing eventually the cost of leccy might well put me off.

i worked out yesterday that 2 x 600 lights will cost at least a grand to run in leccy for a grow. (including pumps, chiller, fans etc), and to be perfectly honest, i can think of better things to spend that on.

i do miss it, but i know that if i carry on ill get my door put in again, its bound to happen, and after my last bust i still get anxious when someone knocks on my door, which is pretty ridiculous. the 2 years lost to court cases didnt help either...

i also lost my love for it, probably a few years ago, it started feeling like a chore tbh

ive paid back my POCA bill now too but still have loads of debt but hey ho.

My advice is to just do what feels right for YOU, fuck what everyone else says

Edited by badbillybob
  • Like 7

Just now, badbillybob said:

i worked out yesterday that 2 x 600 lights will cost at least a grand to run in leccy for a grow. (including pumps, chiller, fans etc), and to be perfectly honest, i can think of better things to spend that on.

Fuk me that's pretty expensive when you put it like that dude :wallbash:

Maybe you will consider having a little play in the mud with us outdoor boys next season?

How much POCA did you have to pay back badbillybob if you don't mind me asking?

That's a fuker having to deal with that on top of everything else the courts punish you with.

Be lucky man :yinyang:

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Crow River said:

There are so many strains I'd like to try, but will try and be content with a more more modest selection next season.

They're all the same really. I've got some pure sativas lined up for the flowering cabinet next but I still reckon weed is weed. :yep:

• Like 3

Just now, Slippy One said:

They're all the same really. I've got some pure sativas lined up for the flowering cabinet next but I still reckon weed is weed. :yep:

It is when you consume it decarbed. I like decarb for the buzz and you don't have to be precious about preserving smells and 'bag appeal'.

I like to pack up in winter, generally. I like to reflect on the previous two grows of that year and start again from scratch. All my setup can be put away.

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 3

Really appreciate all the contributions here folks. A lot of wise words.

Probably need to get back to that zone where growing feels like fun rather than a chore. Reckon that will only come after a good rest. Pack all the equipment away and wait until I actually feel like doing something. Then make a plan.

As for consumption, that has rocketed over the last couple of years - how could it not with weed that's almost free? :) Still not made much of a dent in the stockpile though... :rolleyes: Might be different if I was still smoking, but vaping is a really thrifty way of consuming. I've a touch of lurgy just now, so no booze, no vape, just edibles at night to help me sleep. But I won't be giving up weed anytime soon, that's for sure. Making more edibles this week, in fact.

Plenty of other things to keep me busy (apart from work) so boredom won't be a problem. I'll still check in here to catch up with people's grows and a bit of banter. Dunno about keeping diaries, will finish off the current ones and then see what happens.

And hey: Let's be careful out there.

• Like 4

Just now, Crow River said:

Really appreciate all the contributions here folks. A lot of wise words.

Probably need to get back to that zone where growing feels like fun rather than a chore. Reckon that will only come after a good rest. Pack all the equipment away and wait until I actually feel like doing something. Then make a plan.

As for consumption, that has rocketed over the last couple of years - how could it not with weed that's almost free? :) Still not made much of a dent in the stockpile though... :rolleyes: Might be different if I was still smoking, but vaping is a really thrifty way of consuming. I've a touch of lurgy just now, so no booze, no vape, just edibles at night to help me sleep. But I won't be giving up weed anytime soon, that's for sure. Making more edibles this week, in fact.

Plenty of other things to keep me busy (apart from work) so boredom won't be a problem. I'll still check in here to catch up with people's grows and a bit of banter. Dunno about keeping diaries, will finish off the current ones and then see what happens.

And hey: Let's be careful out there.

Routine is boring. It's good to change it occasionally.

• Like 1