Plants don't look too well, anyone know what's wrong?

spikeychops

18 minutes ago, KC said:

Have they had a foliar feed at some point and been left under the lights?

Peat free compost is useless with cannabis imo, there are still composts at the growshop that are fantastic or some decent finds to be had at garden centres. I'm using gromore seaweed compost at the moment and it seems to be doing well (in veg anyway). It's shame they're autos as otherwise you could repot into something decent but I feel it might be too late now.

I don't know what others feel but for me I'd be starting again.

Just out of interest do you pH the feed of your outdoor plants? I've never touched the pH of my feeds for my indoor plants in compost. Never even checked it tbh.

Hi KC,

Cheers for replying.

I'm planning on getting some calcium today and will foliar feed them then, but no, i haven't sprayed them at all yet. I have always checked PH even growing in soil outdoors, cos the water is very hard around my neck of the woods. Up to 7.5.

I aim for a nice round 6.0 PH, but i'm happy with a range of 5.8 - 6.2. or so. I know soil is supposed to buffer it, but i've found that dodgy PH levels, even in soil makes the plants slow growing, can't take up micro nutes etc, so i bought a decent PH pen. Doesn't take long to check and alter it.

Yeah, i was seriously considering changing the soil for some better stuff, but fear it's too late... i hate this peat free trend...the compost just isn't the same with tree bark etc instead of peat. I'll try spraying and hope it's just they are crying out for calcium...fingers crossed.

Cheers.

• Like 1

I only asked about the foliar as I thought it looked like the leaves had water on them at some point and got a bit burnt.

I've tried using calmag before, I had one cut that would look like it had a Ca deficiency everytime I put it in flower, I tried using before flower, during flower, before and during, never made a bit of difference for me sadly. I wish I'd kept the cut so I could work out what was up but I gave up in the end and fucked it off. Shame really as it was bosting weed.

Anyway sorry couldn't be more help, best of luck :)

• Like 1

Fella you say your water is hard, if so I dont think they can have Ca def, but it's worth a shot .If your environment is on point then it must be the medium you are using. IME lot of these peat free composts are very poor in my hands when growing on tomatos and chillies before they go in the greenhouse border.

Since I had a grow go tits up, I use grow shop compo and nutes, lesson learned. The cost is small compared to the price of electric these days. Sorry I can't be more constructive. If I cudn't get peat for my indoor grows I would use coco.

Anyways I hope you manage to get  your girls to health

Edited by Ajimango
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, spikeychops said:

Air temps are hovering between 22c and 25c, no idea about the soil temps, but should be around 18 - 20c i would guess.

Ratdog has this cracked - thats way too cold for lights on. Your plants arent transpiring as well as they should and calcium isn't getting around the plant.

• Like 4

On 18/12/2023 at 11:10 AM, KC said:

I only asked about the foliar as I thought it looked like the leaves had water on them at some point and got a bit burnt.

I've tried using calmag before, I had one cut that would look like it had a Ca deficiency everytime I put it in flower, I tried using before flower, during flower, before and during, never made a bit of difference for me sadly. I wish I'd kept the cut so I could work out what was up but I gave up in the end and fucked it off. Shame really as it was bosting weed.

Anyway sorry couldn't be more help, best of luck :)

No problem, all advice is welcome mate.

I've been giving them regular foliar sprays with very weak tomato food, with 1ml / L CalMag added...changed the nutes and watered, and things are definitely looking on the up. The dead leaves were too far gone to recover and the worst have been removed, but the rest of the growth seems to be ok and looking a lot healthier than before, the dying leaves seem to have stopped spreading around the plants, so i'm bloody relieved!

Bottom line is what i've been told, it looks like it was this crap soil...so i'll stop being a tight bugger and buy better soil (or go the coco route next time).

I think the water you saw on the leaves was perspiration, where one leaf overlapped another, sort of thing.

Cheers for you help.

• Like 2

On 18/12/2023 at 1:13 PM, GSZZ said:

Ratdog has this cracked - thats way too cold for lights on. Your plants arent transpiring as well as they should and calcium isn't getting around the plant.

Things are looking up now i've started foliar feeding and changed nutes mate, hopefully the temps will be enough for them at around 23-24c...using LEDS, so they don't generate much heat and tbh, can't afford the leccy to run a heater in there. Just have to cross my fingers i s'pose.

Cheers for your help.

On 18/12/2023 at 1:10 PM, Ajimango said:

Fella you say your water is hard, if so I dont think they can have Ca def, but it's worth a shot .If your environment is on point then it must be the medium you are using. IME lot of these peat free composts are very poor in my hands when growing on tomatos and chillies before they go in the greenhouse border.

Since I had a grow go tits up, I use grow shop compo and nutes, lesson learned. The cost is small compared to the price of electric these days. Sorry I can't be more constructive. If I cudn't get peat for my indoor grows I would use coco.

Anyways I hope you manage to get  your girls to health

Things are looking better mate, started foliar feeding and changed nutes, leaves look like they're stabilising now. Hopefully, all this faffing about hasn't reduced harvest too much.

Thanks for helping.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Added a scrog net and buds are showing up all over, so they look like they're going to make it.

Still not tip-top condition, but better than they were.

Will be using better quality compost for the next grow (on top of the compost being poor, it was loaded with fungus gnat eggs...that probably didn't help things much either.

Thanks to all you lovely people for your advice and help.

If i do get a harvest out of this grow, i'll post a picture. :yep:

Yea, cold roots; I'm voting for that, too.

If your soil is at 22, your roots are well below that. Same thing happened to me. I got a radiator and within one day they were happier.

Get something to read your root temps and find out.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...