Plants don't look too well, anyone know what's wrong?

spikeychops

Hello all.

Started a smallish tent auto grow about 6 weeks ago, plants are in a tent and i'm using 2 x 100 watt LED lights and 4" extractor fan and filter, with passive air intake. Auto's have just started to flower about 3 days ago.

Have four plants on the go, and all seem to be suffering the same thing, whatever that is. I'm using standard non-peat compost, with EC 1.5 general granular feed, PH'ed to 5.8.

The leaves are starting to look quite bad, i'm thinking not enough air exchange going on and will look at getting a small fan to blow air into the tent, if you guys think it might be lack of fresh air? I've added about 5ml of Epsom salts to 10 litres of feed water.

Sick plangts.jpg

I'm adding a photo of some crispy leaves.

What do the experts reckon is going on?

Edited by spikeychops

Just now, spikeychops said:

general granular feed, PH'ed to 5.8.

Check the guaranteed analysis of the granular feed - does it contain calcium?

• Like 2

Just now, GSZZ said:

Check the guaranteed analysis of the granular feed - does it contain calcium?

Cheers for replying.

Yeah, it says it does contain Calcium mate.

I used Chempak No 3 at first, leaves were going a bit lime green, so switched to Miracle gro which says on the analysis that it contains calcium, so i'm at a loss.

I've grown for years outside, and this grow is inside in a tent, which i don't have much experience with tbh.

Used Chempak No 3 for grow and No 4 for bloom for donkeys years, with the odd grow just using Miracle gro with no real problems, not the heaviest harvests admittedly, but it's been enough for me. Not sure what i'm doing wrong. I did use some compost i've never used before...it's Westlands 100% peat free multi-purpose with added John Innes. It says it has something added they're calling 'BIO 3', which is supposedly an extra addition because of it being peat free. What do you reckon, buy some different compost and attempt to re-pot them or do you reckon it's too late?

Temps are consistent at around 22 - 25 degrees, Humidity hovers around 55 - 60% and fan is drawing air in passively at a rate of 145 CFM.

Just now, BilgePump said:

New horizon?

Its awful stuff if so , we struggle to sell it at the g.c

:yinyang:

No, it's Westlands 100% peat free stuff...starting to regret using it tbh

If you’re adjusting ph, might as well go the whole hog and use coco coir instead of soil. Reason I say this is because it’s easy to overwater in soil, at least coir eliminates this. 

What are your day/night temps? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Slippy One said:

If you’re adjusting ph, might as well go the whole hog and use coco coir instead of soil. Reason I say this is because it’s easy to overwater in soil, at least coir eliminates this. 

What are your day/night temps? 

I'm on 24hrs (autos), so they stay roughly the same. Only really varies between 22c and 26c, which is fine considering my last greenhouse grow was up to 40c and down to about 10c at night! The temps only really change as i increase or reduce the extraction fan speed.

These autos have just started to flower, do you think it's too late to change to coco this late in the game?

Edited by spikeychops
Added text

I'll look into getting some calcium tomorrow and try foliar spray for immediate use and then add to the feed. Will flush them and make up some new feed water with proper nutes tomorrow.

Just now, ratdog said:

whats the soil temps/air temps?

Air temps are hovering between 22c and 25c, no idea about the soil temps, but should be around 18 - 20c i would guess.

Just now, spikeychops said:

Air temps are hovering between 22c and 25c, no idea about the soil temps, but should be around 18 - 20c i would guess.

i reckon you should ramp those temps up a few degrees and they will defo be happier

• Like 3

Just now, ratdog said:

i reckon you should ramp those temps up a few degrees and they will defo be happier

Will do mate, thanks.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, spikeychops said:

No, it's Westlands 100% peat free stuff...starting to regret using it tbh

I think Westland now own the New Horizon brand. I remember when that NH stuff used to be a decent enough option in the garden a few years ago. Seems that Westland are on a mission to buy up and own all of gardening and make it shit along the way. 

• Like 1

Just now, yan said:

I think Westland now own the New Horizon brand. I remember when that NH stuff used to be a decent enough option in the garden a few years ago. Seems that Westland are on a mission to buy up and own all of gardening and make it shit along the way. 

Knew i shouldn't have been so tight with the compost and got some better stuff. Kicking myself now. I might take Slippy One's advice and attempt changing to coco instead of soil.

• Like 1

Have they had a foliar feed at some point and been left under the lights?

Peat free compost is useless with cannabis imo, there are still composts at the growshop that are fantastic or some decent finds to be had at garden centres. I'm using gromore seaweed compost at the moment and it seems to be doing well (in veg anyway). It's shame they're autos as otherwise you could repot into something decent but I feel it might be too late now.

I don't know what others feel but for me I'd be starting again.

Just out of interest do you pH the feed of your outdoor plants? I've never touched the pH of my feeds for my indoor plants in compost. Never even checked it tbh.

• Like 1