It stinks again...

Axiom

Last time I had filter that needed replacing with a dented fucked up one... which seems to be working. No smells on the outside. 

The problem now is on the inside. When I open the door to go in the garage it humming. I'm surprised it's not leaking out. 

I have slight negative pressure and a few passive intakes open. 

This didn't happen at all on my previous grow and the setup is almost the same.

The only difference I can think of now is that outside temps are a lot lower and I got a dehumidifier in there. 

Oh and my growing skills got a lot better lol 

.... to a fault. 

Any suggestions on how to diagnose this would be much appreciated and thanks as always. 

:yinyang:

• Like 1

Bit confused here. Are you running an old dented filter that you used because your main item packed up? 

I'd be concerned I'd become nose blind slightly to the smell if you know it's leaking but YOU can't smell it outside. 

If you've got negative pressure, isn't it either a failed filter and/or a post fan leak? 

• Like 2

I think weed growing stinks more in colder temperatures, I remember my first few winter grows the lights off low temps made my tent stink more.

Some weed just stinks more than others too.

• Like 5

Just buy a new filter.

Fook me mine even clears the mancave the cab is in given enough time between spliffs. lol

Edit too add if u want one to just tide u over u won't go far wrong with a fox filter and they are cheap as chips.

Edited by murphyblue
  • Like 2

More negative pressure. If there's not sufficient neg pressure, the circulation fans can blow some air back out through the passive vent. 

• Like 1

I had a situation years ago. I was growing in my loft with very poor filtration & my neighbor had to get some work done on their roof. I returned home from work one day and met an elderly workman who told me (while pointing at my house) that somebody around here is growing weed. He mentioned that the cold weather and 'foggy' conditions could hold down smoke, pollution & (as it turned out) expelled exhausting grow room smell.

I shook his hand & took his advise onboard.

I had a nervous night & ordered a new filter.

• Like 7

12 hours ago, hashbrown said:

Personally if it was me and it stinks I would shut a few passive vents and get more negative pressure. 

Done. Seems to have done the trick for now.
I'm thinking it doesn't help having fans blowing towards the vents either. 

11 hours ago, Goodbloke said:

Bit confused here. Are you running an old dented filter that you used because your main item packed up? 

I'd be concerned I'd become nose blind slightly to the smell if you know it's leaking but YOU can't smell it outside. 

If you've got negative pressure, isn't it either a failed filter and/or a post fan leak? 

Ahhh yeah must be post fan leak then surely if not negative pressure or passive vents leak.
I turned the fans up a little last night and seems to be no smell today, or very little 

11 hours ago, Eldo said:

Are you venting into the garage or directly outside?

outside 

7 hours ago, Lux_Interior said:

I had a situation years ago. I was growing in my loft with very poor filtration & my neighbor had to get some work done on their roof. I returned home from work one day and met an elderly workman who told me (while pointing at my house) that somebody around here is growing weed. He mentioned that the cold weather and 'foggy' conditions could hold down smoke, pollution & (as it turned out) expelled exhausting grow room smell.

That's interesting. I have 2 x 200w heat mats in there and LED lights. The filter is on the ground. I wonder if it has anything to do with heat rising.
There is one passive vent where the extraction hole is at the top, (to passively pull cold air in) ... I wonder if the smell is escaping with the heat through there.
It's pain because I don't have many options of drawing cold air from above unless I put an active intake which doesn't make sense for the winter. 

:yinyang:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bud Baker said:

Why do you want to pull cold air from above?

When using LEDs some of us try to draw the heat down from the lights to the plants because they put out less radiation than HID bulbs. 
we also place the carbon filter on the ground instead of suspended.

18 hours ago, Axiom said:

I'm thinking it doesn't help having fans blowing towards the vents either. 

:rofl:

you think?... lol

On 08/12/2023 at 0:04 PM, Axiom said:

When using LEDs some of us try to draw the heat down from the lights to the plants because they put out less radiation than HID bulbs. 
we also place the carbon filter on the ground instead of suspended.

I tried this when I first started using LEDs a few years ago. It was more hassle than it’s worth. Running 700 watt LEDs in my set up still produces enough heat to have a traditional extraction set up. And that’s what works well in my area, where it is located. Maybe you should swap things round and just give it a go. Smell and heat rise.

• Like 3