Tube heaters

Clubs

So, after watching the leccy meter going off the chart due to an oil rad, I've had to re-think how to heat the groom.

The question is; If I was to use a tube heater or two to warm air as it's being blown into the grow space, will this work? Or are they more effective in the grow space next to the plants?

I'll be building a box to house the intake fan and was going to make it big enough to add a heater, originally it was going to be a radiator but it works out way too expensive. 

This will be for summer growing as it's way too cold up here in the winter. Shed is well insulated. 

Thanks

To add, I will also be using a heat mat for soil temps.

Edited by Clubs
  • Like 1

Personally I find my 80w tube heater when at the bottom of grow area dries/burns leafs above it. 

I'm going to try putting tube heater inside duct and monitor over 24hrs.

A better option for both heating and safety might be an inline duct heater....if you Google that plus 300w there's a few options out there

Since it's summer only perhaps even a heat mat might get you to desired temps

• Like 2

I'm going to try putting tube heater inside duct and monitor over 24hrs.

@Eldolet us know how this works, will you? I'll have a look at duct heaters too, thanks.

• Like 1

Depending on the size of tent, tube heater/heatmat combo in the space should be fine. Circulation fan will prevent the leaves getting burnt. There’s always a lung room option if you’re in a freezing space using active intakes. Insulation is the key to cost savings.  

• Like 6

I have two 120W (or thereabout) tubes in a 1200mm x 600mm x 1800mm tent.  I have mounted them on a board so one is above the other. They do burn the leaf tips when the leaves touch them, but the lowest is just at the top of pot level. The fans blow convected heat around, so there's little damage apart from in direct contact or convection in the immediate area. Previously I had them down at pot level, but I have more pots in this time and so some pots would be right against them.  I don't want to cook the roots!! When I am back to growing just 3 at a time, I think I will drop the heater array down to pot level.  I can't have them actually on the floor because of my minimal tent size, but if you can, I think you should.

Apart from the leaves in the inch or two above the array, they dont cause any damage.  They heat the space well and the shed outside the tent stays at 18 - 20C as a consequence of them and the light generating warmth.  Personally, I'd put them in the tent and put up with a few singed leaves in their immediate proximity.

• Like 6

That's good to learn. The space is in an insulated shed and measures 1.1m x 1.6m. I prefer the idea of having the tube heaters in the grow space tbh. My planter is 45cm high so the leaves shouldn't be close to the heaters at floor height anyway.

I was thinking - 2x130ish watt tubes and with the exception of a few chilly days, it's mainly for night temps. Definitely the cheaper option too.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Clubs said:

That's good to learn. The space is in an insulated shed and measures 1.1m x 1.6m. I prefer the idea of having the tube heaters in the grow space tbh. My planter is 45cm high so the leaves shouldn't be close to the heaters at floor height anyway.

I was thinking - 2x130ish watt tubes and with the exception of a few chilly days, it's mainly for night temps. Definitely the cheaper option too.

It sounds perfect.  My shed is 10 x 8 which made using an oil heater prohibitive cost wise for me, though I have one in there, I haven't made it efficient to use (see below for a recommendation of how to do that).  If you have 2 x 130W tubular heaters running off such as an Inkbird Heat controller - I have an Inkbird 306, but the Inkbird 306T Wifi is even better - inside your tent, you should be laughing.

Alternatively, on another thread, one of the guys here recommends using the oil heater, but housed in a relatively close fitting insulated (kingspan I guess) box.  It keeps the heat in so doesnt use much leccy but makes enough heat that when air is being pulled through and into the tent via ducting, there is plenty of warm air.

Edited by MidgeSmith
  • Like 2

Just now, Eldo said:

I don't have a fan below canopy sounds like that's what's needed to prevent hotspots/burning

That's a good point.  Even when I have the full sized fan running above the canopy, I have a couple of PC case fans flowing in a gentle vortex underneath the scrog to stop heat building up in hotspots.  It doesn't stop the burn when they contact, but that is less of a problem.

• Like 3

I just bought a couple of 1ft tubes for my cab its an old steel industrial type cupboard insulated on the inside.

Had an small oilrad in there last grow but it packed up so opted for a lower wattage option to try and save money on the leccy.

large.P1030630.JPG

The 2 x 120mm pc fans on the right are my intake there's another fan embedded in the partition wall pulling air into the flower space.

The tube on the ceiling is not only heating the air in this small lung space but also doubleing as a heat mat for the veg space above.

The probe for the tubes is in the flower space and the controller on the left is for the heat mat in the flower space and probe for that is about 2" off bottom of pot in flower space.

I did buy a new 650w oil rad just in case but really dont want to use it.

Tight Welshman and proud. lollol

I think i got the cab now as efficent as i can get it doubt it pulls 600w even with everything up full which will never happen both lights overpowered for the space.

Oh and slippy is right insulation is the key to lowering costs bit hard to do insulate a tent though.

• Like 3

Just now, murphyblue said:

I just bought a couple of 1ft tubes for my cab its an old steel industrial type cupboard insulated on the inside.

Had an small oilrad in there last grow but it packed up so opted for a lower wattage option to try and save money on the leccy.

large.P1030630.JPG

That's ace! :)

• Like 2

@murphyblue that looks like an effective solution.

Have you found the tube heaters have lowered your running costs?

Obviously they use less power when on but with thermostat I'd imagine they stay on for longer than the oil rad and may even out

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Military Grade said:

I have two either side at the bottom, never had problems with burning.

large.20231121_072119.jpg

Bloody hell, 2 weeks at this size?! Fkn hell man that's amazing. :notworthy: 

• Like 2