Rosin press

mikeydoughnut

Ey up folks. Seen a 1 tonne effort. Qnubu or summat. Now when you have an internet search there’s millions of the feckers. What should I be looking for? Don’t want to buying a press equivalent to blurple Chinese shit. I don’t want to spend more the £300. Might not spend it at all yet but the thought of getting mightily baked off ‘concentrates’(?) does appeal.

But there’s all this peripheral shit too. If I buy a press is there owt else you’d need? Moulds n bags n shit. 

They make this so complicated. I look at bongs and I’m not even sure they’re bongs anymore. Water rigs. What the fuck is a water rig?! I dunno how you guys keep up with this shit.

• Like 9

Set of hair straighteners and a bit of parchment paper and your good to go for a bit of bud smashing. An hydraulic press will give better results but if your just pressing a couple of grams the straighteners will do the job OK and not cost a fortune.

• Like 4

Re: straighteners... Get the cheapest pair of wide plate temp adjustable ones you can find that go down to 80c (yer gonna be fuckin standing on em so you don't want to spunk cash on ghd or fancy ones).

As stated parchment is a must , also it pays to have a 25μ hash screen or dedicated 35μ pressing bags just so you have the option to press hash if you want.

A collection tool is also pretty essential, any dab stick will do , i use the one that came with my extract pen.... Oooo and a lil silicone pot for keeping yer Rosin happy.

:yinyang:

Edited by BilgePump
storage
  • Like 5

Go for the cheapest is good advice, just don't borrow the missus', been there done that and doesn't go down to well, slow cookers can have the same effect. Tights for over intakes doesn't seem to cause as much hassle. 

• Like 3

Cheers @BilgePump and @Hazeytones. Black Friday week starts on the big river tomorrow. I’ll see what I can get. If it turns out reyt and i think it’s worth the investment I can always get a press later innit. 
Straightners, parchment, lickle jar and a fiddling stick :) 

• Like 4

They’re a bit above your price range, but if you could stretch it, I’d recommend a Graveda. German manufactured :smokin:

I bought a 10t 3 years ago, they’re built like tanks. It hasn’t got a pressure gauge on it, but has 4 heat probes, 2 top and bottom in the plates and a simple to use heat controller :yep:

• Like 3

I've got one in cupboard of doom (under the stairs). I tried it once. Epic failure! 

Are you supposed to use wet bud or something? Mine was none dry, just got a disc of solid weed with hash smashed into it lol

• Like 4

How long did you press it for? I haven't made rosin in a while and only with straighteners when I have, but if you press too long you can just burn off the rosin.

I try to avoid extracts if I'm honest, it kind of fucks up my tolerance. Once your used to it getting a hit off a bit off bud can be difficult I find.

• Like 4

There's a couple on the Big River site under £300 that may be worth a punt 

Another option is to buy some caged plates and a 6 or 10T workshop press to make your own 

• Like 2

I’ve spotted some straightness that go down to 80 and put them in the basket. Been a strange one this year I’m usually inundated with emails proudly declaring the date of firms BF sales. Don’t really want to be going spending brass to find out it’s been reduced the very next day. 

If anyone sees any good deals, unless it breaks forum rules, let us know or pop vague details up rather than offsite links n all that shit.

Edited by mikeydoughnut
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Hazeytones said:

How long did you press it for?

I can't remember now mate, was ages ago. I forgot I had the press until my mate reminded me. I don't blame him, it's his after all lol

• Like 2

90c And 90seconds to 120 seconds (four to six tons) on three by five inch surface area  depending on materials used is a good average metric to start from. 

Edited by Arthur Mix
Add
  • Like 4

I went for one of them cheap ones, while my hair straighteners do the job it is Awkward for me sometimes.

£124 off fleabay, of course I don't expect it to be amazing it should still be better than my hair straighteners.

large.20231116_183048.jpg

I also got some silicone pots/tool and some burger patty parchment papers

large.20231116_183027.jpglarge.20231116_183328.jpg

Could do with them filters bag things

I will try it out late tonight

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, Military Grade said:

filters bag things

Before I found the rosin tech 37μ bags i just cut squares out of 25μ screens you get in bubble bag sets and folded hash into them like an envelope/wrap , works pretty well tbh , you do get a bit of wastage due to excess fabric sucking up a lil rosin but its nothing major.

:yinyang:

• Like 1

You don't really need bags for small presses 

You want some decent baking parchment (I use Lakeland or Reynolds) 

a scraper tool - the LTQ Vapor collection tool is very good (and discounted at RVS at the moment) 

And a container to put it in 

Vapefiend and Recommended Vape Supplies are both good for hardware

If you have a weed vape already you can put the rosin in a wee pinch of ecig vaping cotton and put that in your bowl

A quartz banger (and carb cap and terp pearls) and a torch is a good place to start 

After having another look on the big river I can't tell where the sub £300 machines are posted from (I fckin hate that) but I did see an 7T LTQ Vapor press with a gauge for £365 which is in the UK, which looks decent value (and comes with paper, pots, magnets to hold the paper, and their scraper tool)

• Like 4