First go at hash

latitude54

Over the last 18 months, I've collected a good amount of trim with the idea of trying to make hash at some point. I'm running out of freezer space so am thinking that time should be now.

I understand the principle of dry sifting through multiple screens but can't afford to invest a relative fortune in a series of screens so have been looking at getting a single silk screen to try.

Can anyone tell me if 110-120 micron would be suitable as a single screen?

Edited by latitude54

Just now, Slippy One said:

What's the end goal? Fresh frozen is bubblebags, dry is for screens. 

Just to add a layer of confusion....

I dry my product then freeze it for putting through bubble bags.

But yeah if yer screening material you want it cracker dry.

:yinyang:

• Like 2

It's nice to make hash, I did water hash for years until I saw a YT video of dry hash through screens, aka Moroccan style and was hooked. Who wants to splash about with water/ice/mixing/draining? :P 

Cheapest quality bubblebag sets are like £200 from memory. Maybe the cheap Chinese bags sell separate? Dried material and screens for the win for me. 

If you just use 1 screen, I'd say 90 microns is best, especially if you want to make it into balls. Too much contaminant will make the hash less pliable. 

• Like 2

Bit of inspiration for you if you haven't already spotted them :hippy:

Never done dry sift, I do shake scuff off stuff with a sieve before I make iso oil with it, but only to recombine it with the iso to make jelly hash. Super low tek lol you could probably press what comes off it but you have to choose between a tiny yield or a lot of contaminants, you can't shake it very much before bits of plant start falling through the holes. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 1

Cheers chaps. 
It’s all dry trim in the freezer so definitely already pointing the right direction. 

For the sake of £30 (and due to getting way too excited about these things) I’ve ordered a 120 mesh silk screen that’ll be here tomorrow. lol 

I was happy waiting for my next harvest but doing the last of my trimming yesterday I ended up with a little ball of finger hash and now I’m just too excited to wait. lol  

• Like 2

I’ll pass a bag or two through the screen and see what I end up with. If it’s looking crap, I’ll have to hold off and look for a better / finer screen. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, latitude54 said:

For the sake of £30 (and due to getting way too excited about these things) I’ve ordered a 120 mesh silk screen that’ll be here tomorrow. lol 

Ideally, 1 work screen and one finish screen. Another £30 including post and the result will be worth it. 

I use mine for oil/edibles but for smoking, you might need a 3rd, finer screen. Cheap compared to bubble. :yep: 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Slippy One said:

Cheapest quality bubblebag sets are like £200 from memory. Maybe the cheap Chinese bags sell separate? Dried material and screens for the win for me. 

Not anymore. Search bubblebag dude on amazon or fleabay. They are about £30 for a 5 gallon set and decent quality. Ive done a good few runs in mine over the last few years.

I prefer making ISO though tbh, much less work.

Ive never tried screens, im gonna get one of those too.  :yep:

Edited by Strawberry Fields
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Slippy One said:

Send it back! Use a reputable screen print supplier. Assuming you're not buying cheap bubble bags of ebay..

it was boxed up and on its way back before Amazon had even sent me the “your package has been delivered” email. lol  

Ive ordered one that is smaller but looks much better quality. 

• Like 1

Just to add my penny's worth  -  I bought an A3 sized screen from Hobbycraft. I have no idea what micron mesh is in it, but I would guess at somewhere between 150u and 120u maybe. Either way, it works - I made a few little hash balls last year, in differing grades depending on how hard I worked the material on the screen, the best one I aged for about three months and then got on it at xmas, and it was beautiful.

So yeah - it is possible to make hash using a single screen, bought off the high street for fifteen quid :)

• Like 3