NFT Nutrients... time to move on from Vitalink

rememberingnever

So, whether it be the way they've been stored or what not i've been becoming increasingly less impressed with the plants response to the Vitalink nutrients which once plants thrived with.

I'm debating the following:

Athena Blended/Pro

Growth Technology Ionic (previously used with good results prior to moving to Vitalink with slightly better results that have since diminished)

Growers Ark

Bioponic Hydrotops (a little apprehensive due to biofilm encouragement!)

I am pretty tempted to get a water analsysis done, it may be my PH down has just had it... I'm really struggling to get the PH to lower without adding ludicrous amounts of the stuff which I suppose in turn could be producing lockouts.

Any NFT growers out there using Athena stuff who can tell me to jump on the bandwagon? Perhaps I should just buy Ionic and see how it runs... then I believe there is also a strong following for Growers Ark who swear by them, the ability to order "custom food" is also pretty interesting!

I tend not to use any thing but the base nutes and some PK boost later into flower so i'd like to keep things fairly simple, I am planning a switch to LED soon when i've built up the panels but i'm going for "one last" run with the 400w HPS before I commit.

• Like 1

People seem to be stopping using growers ark mainly due to a decision GA made , fuck them . Some are trying Terra Aquatica instead now . I’ve used their lines for a loooong time  used to be known as general hydroponics Europe aka GHE . Corporate bought out the American side and the original people rebranded to TA. Athena seems to be hyped up tbh and expensive . 

• Like 5

What's the growers ark beef?

I tried to use some all in one GH Lucas formula stuff a while back but I never had much luck.

Another clean synthetic one is Hydrosol Hydrocrop and you can alter the A and B ratio to suit growth stage.

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 2

Im on GA currently, its because they removed thier sponsorship due to a shitogram that a particular breeder wrote after he parted rather sourly. underground with love? ahem

Athena is too much. Have looked at floramax (which looks better than athena) and looks good but is also quite expensice.

Know what you mean about vitalink, used them for years but been a bit lesser recently

• Like 4

1 hour ago, catweazle1 said:

Hydrocrop is £3/Litre for the 500g size (5L made up} and gets cheaper with the larger ones.

Is that made up into a stock solution? Im assuming so but just checking...

:yinyang:

Just now, BilgePump said:

Is that made up into a stock solution? Im assuming so but just checking...

:yinyang:

Yes, you add 100g to 1L then dispense from that. I was using about 5ml/L.

• Like 2

They used to deliver with HYDROCROP printed on a returns label. Got a cheeky wink off the delivery man. I emailed them they said I’m not the first to mention it. Next batch came without the advertisement. 

I struggled with it once in flower but I’m a useless cunt innit 

• Like 2

Just now, mikeydoughnut said:

...but I’m a useless cunt innit 

No you're not, MikeyBeanPopper...:wink_kiss:

Edited by Zipster

I'll check out that hydrosol stuff and try look at the ratios of everything... appears you can buy from Bezo's which may be stealthier delivered but depends if you care if A know what you're up to :D.

I don't know what it is, it seems like the last lot of Vitalink stuff I got is buffering itself to 7 consistently and I can add so much Phosphoric acid and it does absolutely nothing to the PH. I even bought some fresh PH Down today to see if it'd help and it ain't budging :'). Can't be good adding this much PH down to the tank!

Had to walk on past the Athena bottles earlier whilst twitching, just diving into the unknown :D.

I like the fact with Growers Ark I could get a water test and be confident in the nutes perhaps.

Any bioponic users wanna chip in the convo? :D.

Edited by rememberingnever

:thisbig:…. See I don’t really know what I’m doing. Seriously. Otherwise i wouldnt be growing in coco. It’s just painting by numbers. That hydrocrop you have to mix 60/40 and then they recommend tweaking it in 0.5 increments. I just seemed to be constantly tweaking. I’m sure the lads who actually know what they’re doing will do fine with it. I need my arse wiping when it comes to growing.

Just now, mikeydoughnut said:

Otherwise i wouldn't be growing in coco.

Why are you growing in coco, Mikey ? :g:

There's a whole industry built around plant specific nutes. Kerching !

Used to work for a countrified gent who spent a fortune on a specific Rhododendron plant feed. The entrance road to his estate was adorned with them, and he liked to make a statement in April/May when they were in full flower. £50 odd for a bag of pellets. Got similar results from well rotted farmyard manure, homemade compost, and leaf mold.

But here's the thing; plants only take up the nutes they need. And they'll tell you if they're lacking summat, or it's too hot, or too humid. Just need to be able to read the signs. There's a lot of marketing bollox and brand association being used to sell you stuff that you really don't need.

Tablets used to be things that the ten commandments were carved on, before Apple arrived on the scene.

Many GG's use tomato feed, as do a lot of allotment growers across the board. Just saying...

Just now, Zipster said:

Why are you growing in coco, Mikey ? :g:

Because it’s easier. Just follow a few golden rules and yer good to go.