Transplanting / Plant Pot Size Question

RobotCake

Not only that @catweazle1 but they're cheap as chips and come in various sizes which is an added bonus. 

When it comes to 5-7.5cm small seedling pots, have you any suggestions? I tend to see people using those Costoco Kirkland Signature Chinet 532ml Red Plastic Cups. Are they adequate or would you recommend something else?

On 05/04/2024 at 08:38, 21Cabbage said:

Not only that @catweazle1 but they're cheap as chips and come in various sizes which is an added bonus. 

When it comes to 5-7.5cm small seedling pots, have you any suggestions? I tend to see people using those Costoco Kirkland Signature Chinet 532ml Red Plastic Cups. Are they adequate or would you recommend something else?

Mostly, I start in the coir pots from Real Gorilla seeds, then move those into 1L netpots and plant that whole into the biggest pot. The 1L netpots are fine for planting up in. You can slide it off you want to.

Nice one @catweazle1. Those coir pots definitely seem like the better of the two choices.  I just did a little research and they definitely seem the more eco-friendly of the two choices with them being both organic and biodegradable.

I'm guessing you don't even take the seedings out from the pots either when transplanting straight into the 1L net pots either? You just fire them straight into their new medium? Tha certainly saves some hassle in the process. I reckon I'll pick some up and these instead. Small coir pots to 1L to 3L to 7L. Does that seem reasonable or would you go straight from 1L into their final 7L sized pots and only transplant 3 times in total instead of 4?

On 11/04/2024 at 05:03, 21Cabbage said:

Nice one @catweazle1. Those coir pots definitely seem like the better of the two choices.  I just did a little research and they definitely seem the more eco-friendly of the two choices with them being both organic and biodegradable.

I'm guessing you don't even take the seedings out from the pots either when transplanting straight into the 1L net pots either? You just fire them straight into their new medium? Tha certainly saves some hassle in the process. I reckon I'll pick some up and these instead. Small coir pots to 1L to 3L to 7L. Does that seem reasonable or would you go straight from 1L into their final 7L sized pots and only transplant 3 times in total instead of 4?

coirpot to start seed in. 1L netpot then final pruning pot. keep them in the pots potting up, although you can take the 1L netpot off if you want. let the roots come and die off a few times before potting up to get a good starting root system.

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 3

Since I'm fairly new here, I'm not sure what everyones preferred potting method and potting medium is. Do you just fill your coirpot, lay your seed gently under the surface of the pot and give them a good watering then simply leave them until they begin to sprout before considering moving them over to your 1L net pots? 

The coir pots come in various sizes. 5cm seems to be the smallest, but you can get them in 8cm, 9.5cm, 10cm etc? Margins that small shouldn't really matter right?

When you mention letting the roots die off and regenerate a couple times, is this when they're in the 1L netting pots? Do the roots die off because you let the soil dry out?  My impression was the roots would simply continue to grow if things are just fine in their coirpots and 1L netting pots? Also, from what I can see, the bottom of the coir pots don't have any holes at he bottom for the roots to spring out? Do you cut a few small holes in each of the cups?

With them being biodegradable, it's handy you can just repot them into the 1L plastic netting pots. It's one less headache and I'm a big fan of keeoing thing simpl

8 hours ago, 21Cabbage said:

Since I'm fairly new here, I'm not sure what everyones preferred potting method and potting medium is. Do you just fill your coirpot, lay your seed gently under the surface of the pot and give them a good watering then simply leave them until they begin to sprout before considering moving them over to your 1L net pots? 

The coir pots come in various sizes. 5cm seems to be the smallest, but you can get them in 8cm, 9.5cm, 10cm etc? Margins that small shouldn't really matter right?

When you mention letting the roots die off and regenerate a couple times, is this when they're in the 1L netting pots? Do the roots die off because you let the soil dry out?  My impression was the roots would simply continue to grow if things are just fine in their coirpots and 1L netting pots? Also, from what I can see, the bottom of the coir pots don't have any holes at he bottom for the roots to spring out? Do you cut a few small holes in each of the cups?

With them being biodegradable, it's handy you can just repot them into the 1L plastic netting pots. It's one less headache and I'm a big fan of keeoing thing simpl

You'll find a few different methods on the boards and it's really down to personal preference.

For example, this year I'm starting my seeds off in 1ltr pots, I find the smaller the pot the more difficult they are too manage, so by using a 1ltr pot I cut down on the need for watering. Last year I sowed directly into 150ltr pots.