Transplanting / Plant Pot Size Question

RobotCake

Hi, could someone tell me the ideal pot size to grow a plant for one month from seed (which will then be transplanted into a larger pot). I want the roots to be solid and not fall apart when taken out of the pot.

Thanks

Edited by RobotCake
  • Like 1

As small as possible, something 5-7.5cm across the top is ideal for starting seeds , im my experience 10.5cm "bedding" pots are a bit big and you end up with a gangly seedling with underdeveloped roots.

A lot of us use rooting sponges for starting seeds , might be worth a look.

Also more pot ups gradually will ensure a stronger rootball , i like to go starter pot > 1L > 2L > 7.5L final pot.

:yinyang:

• Like 5

Root cube or fibre pot, then 1L netpot, then 7.5L root pruning pot. When I get to the netpot, I let 3 or 4 waves of white roots poke through and die off, then pot up to the big one. Each new wave of roots splits as they are pruned, encouraging roots to the top of the pot.

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 2
29 minutes ago, Shumroom said:

These

Those :yep:

Apparently they're getting harder to find.

Having tried growing all sorts of things in the eggbox syle airpots and these i couldn't agree more!

Ive recently started using these in 7.5L as finals and so far im really enjoying them, much better than the 10L solid pots i have been using (don't get me started on fabs ive like a million sat around doing sweet f.a)

:yinyang:

• Like 2
43 minutes ago, RobotCake said:

One more question, at what age should a plant be transplanted out of a 1 liter pot?

@catweazle1 kinda answered that earlier...

20 hours ago, catweazle1 said:

Root cube or fibre pot, then 1L netpot, then 7.5L root pruning pot. When I get to the netpot, I let 3 or 4 waves of white roots poke through and die off, then pot up to the big one. Each new wave of roots splits as they are pruned, encouraging roots to the top of the pot.

I generally pot on when roots emerge from the bottom of the pot, and lightly trim the whole root ball before replanting. It helps promote further root growth.

Might give catweazle1's '3 or 4 wave' method a go next time. :yep:

10 hours ago, Zipster said:

@catweazle1 kinda answered that earlier...

I generally pot on when roots emerge from the bottom of the pot, and lightly trim the whole root ball before replanting. It helps promote further root growth.

Might give catweazle1's '3 or 4 wave' method a go next time. :yep:

:yep: I go by the roots not the amount  of growth on top. You can leave the netpot on if you want and plant it. I did this for autos. I originally wentwith this way when I was doing autos because I didn't want to disturb the roots and I wanted to pot up rather than starting in the final pot. It works fine with any plant. I generally pull it off for photos to use the pots again. My best auto was 8.5 ounces with bending the main stem early on, after about sixth node showed iirc..

I've was using 15L airpots then as finals, but down to 7.5L pruning pots now. So much easier to move pots around with no apparent loss in yield.

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 1
On 11/11/2023 at 0:01 AM, catweazle1 said:

I've was using 15L airpots then as finals, but down to 7.5L pruning pots now. So much easier to move pots around with no apparent loss in yield.

Is that those budget pruning pots (all in one plastic job)? The air pots are such a faff

Just now, sweettooth said:

Is that those budget pruning pots (all in one plastic job)? The air pots are such a faff

Yes, I like them. They don't dry out as fast as airpots and you can put them on a heat mat and get the full benefit. And you can easily slide the the plant out for potting up if you want. It's the best fusion of a solid pot and airpot I reckon.

• Like 2
Just now, catweazle1 said:

Yes, I like them. They don't dry out as fast as airpots and you can put them on a heat mat and get the full benefit. And you can easily slide the the plant out for potting up if you want. It's the best fusion of a solid pot and airpot I reckon.

yeah, far too many nights trying to take a part loads of heavy air pots without getting shite eveyrthwre.

Just moved over to squares, il see what this run is like but may grab some, lots of retailers sell them and cheap too!!!

2 hours ago, sweettooth said:

yeah, far too many nights trying to take a part loads of heavy air pots without getting shite eveyrthwre.

Just moved over to squares, il see what this run is like but may grab some, lots of retailers sell them and cheap too!!!

Yeah, they are cheap. I've got about 50 of them in three sizes.

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...
On 11/11/2023 at 00:01, catweazle1 said:

It sounds like cheap plastic pruning pots are the way to go. Glad I read through this thread as I fully intended on buying fabric pots but it sounds like that they're more hassle than their worth. 

Edited by 21Cabbage
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, 21Cabbage said:

It sounds like cheap plastic pruning pots are the way to go. Glad I read through this thread as I fully intended on buying fabric pots but it sounds like that they're more hassle than their worth. 

less water loss is the main gain but still having the airpruning ability. I do think they are a better compromise and easier to handle than the other two types.

• Like 3