Best Mycorrhizal Rooting Powder Brands?

MidgeSmith

Hi guys.

I am growing in EcoLife soil and am going to have to pot up for the final time in about 2 weeks - I think. I am almost new to photos in soil, so potting up is something that I am getting used to.

Aaaanyhoo.  So I read just now that when potting up, it is a good idea to sprinkle some Mycorrhizal rooting powder around the rootball as you are adding soil in around the sides of the transplant.

If you agree, is there a brand you recommend and if not, could you tell me what your thinking is?

All the best,

The Nutrient Company (TNC) Mycorr.... they do a few. Empathy Rootgrow also. Endomycorrhizae extend the reach of the plants roots, giving a greater net nute supply.

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, MidgeSmith said:

I am growing in EcoLife soil

1 hour ago, MidgeSmith said:

So I read just now that when potting up, it is a good idea to sprinkle some Mycorrhizal rooting powder around the rootball as you are adding soil in around the sides of the transplant.

Why not use Ecothrive Biosys?

• Like 2

The Dr Forest myco seems pretty good. Well, the plants are settling into final pots without any issues. Can't say if that's down to the myco though.

Thanks guys for all the answers, I will check them out.

@GSZZ honestly the main reason is because it is recommended to be added with water on their website and so I thought I'd use it wet at subsequent intervals. It's a bit more complex than the standard rooting powders seem to be [EDIT: Just checked and it seems it's not really!] and I'm not sure if it is a bit potent to be used in the same quantities as them. [Will check quantities cheers!]

I liked the idea of having a general, simple powdered rooting option to use as powder at potting up for these and other plants in the greenhouse.  I could do though, you're right.

Edited by MidgeSmith
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, MidgeSmith said:

Thanks guys for all the answers, I will check them out.

@GSZZ honestly the main reason is because it is recommended to be added with water on their website and so I thought I'd use it wet at subsequent intervals. It's a bit more complex than the standard rooting powders seem to be [EDIT: Just checked and it seems it's not really!] and I'm not sure if it is a bit potent to be used in the same quantities as them. [Will check quantities cheers!]

I liked the idea of having a general, simple powdered rooting option to use as powder at potting up for these and other plants in the greenhouse.  I could do though, you're right.

Potency will speed up the process of colonizing, but it will be self-limiting in terms of the total micro population. You can't really add too much.

Edited by catweazle1

That's very helpful advice @catweasel1.  

So all votes for using the Ecolofe Biosys I have, as a dusting for now and in solution for subsequent wettings.

Cool, cheers! :mellow:

God I hope that's the right emoticon, I haven't got my glasses on and I bluddy well should have.

Edited by MidgeSmith
  • Like 1

I've used TNC and Intense Mycorrhizal rooting powders, both do the job, they the only two I've ever used so have nothing else to go on.

I have read a few reviews about Ecothrive Biosys having pests and mushrooms, probably not the fungi you're after lol

• Like 2

Is there any chance you can run one pot without it? I suspect you'll see no difference. Saying that if you're running from seed it won't be a fair comparison. 

If I was using a living bed or keeping mother plants fair enough but I don't think cannabis plants are generally alive long enough to make use of mycorrhizal fungus. I used to buy it from the growshop years ago, then I started using the one from the garden centre, now I don't bother with any. 

9 hours ago, GSZZ said:

Why not use Ecothrive Biosys?

+1 for biosys, full spectrum of beneficial microorganisms and way easier to apply as you just water them in with it. 

• Like 2

I'm another BioSys fan - you can see the difference in the plants within 24-48hrs. I use it every 2 weeks as a top-up and find you need a lot less food because of it so its deffo doing something.

Mrs Delta has used it on house plants too and they've never looked better.

• Like 2

@KC I only use Intense Organix bloom (don't bother with 'grow' nutes now) and never really go over 2ml/litre even in peak flower. So really I guess I'm just feeding the microbes as the Organix bloom seems quite sugary/molasses rich.

With synthetics though I don't think it matters as much as people think, the synthetic nutes are not going to kill the microbes off and you will still "benefit from the beneficials" as it were, especially in soil. With a tea like BioSys you are topping up the microbes continually anyway so if the heard dies back they can get replaced. I just wish it was a tad cheaper but £15 of powder makes up 50 Litres so its pretty efficient through veg and early flower.

For hydro though - probably not, the BioSys tea is a pipe-blocker for sure - it clogged my sprayer. The Organix nutes are really thick too so like most organic nutes  - likely a no-no for hydro.

• Like 1

@DeltaMelter

Sorry if i'm being a bit thick here but £15 of powder makes 50ltrs, you don't use it every watering then? Depending on how many plants and the time of year I can use 20ltrs of water/feed every couple of days easily. That could get pricey :unsure:

4 hours ago, KC said:

Is there any chance you can run one pot without it? I suspect you'll see no difference. Saying that if you're running from seed it won't be a fair comparison. 

If I was using a living bed or keeping mother plants fair enough but I don't think cannabis plants are generally alive long enough to make use of mycorrhizal fungus. I used to buy it from the growshop years ago, then I started using the one from the garden centre, now I don't bother with any. 

I'd have to agree with @KC. Would be good if you could do a comparison. Personally, I think it's more beneficial for perennials than annuals.

Re-potting into fresh new compost, plus 'fluffing' and lightly pruning the root tips will help stimulate root growth anyway.