Help with supplement heating

M Pamplemousse

8 hours ago, mikeydoughnut said:

It’s the 2kw one .....  I’m stuck watching the smart meter go bonkers. Need to turn it down a bit 

Considered a Dimming Stat, Mikey? :g:

• Like 1

No I’m not plugging it into owt. I’ll work it out. The instructions recommend against it. I know it’s not cool to read the instructions but neither is burning one’s house down.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, mikeydoughnut said:

The instructions recommend against it.

Sod That! :ohmygod: I, too, am a great bugger for reading manuals. But, anything that tells me Not to put any external controls on it? Nope!

So, that means no Inkbird. No AC. No Thermostats what so ever. Fuck That!

I'm digging into heaters too, right now. Saw the one ye have there. What I consider a Space Heater. Bit brutal.

Like Printers, they're almost giving them away. But, ye pay at the plug socket, as ye say.

• Like 1

Just now, Chal said:

What I consider a Space Heater. Bit brutal.

It’s a greenhouse heater. Me tents a greenhouse to all intents and purposes. Not brutal at all. Half whack, 1kW, thermostat set to about 10 to, it pisses 28/29 degrees on the Govee and 27/28 leaf surface temp. Humidity stays steady at about 57 and mid 40’s lights off.

Best 40 quid I’ve spent in ages. Honestly, for 40 quid give it a go. It’s worth half that just to have no annoying light to cover up. and we all know those pesky lights emit a glow from every nook n cranny. 

• Like 1

Just now, mikeydoughnut said:

It’s a greenhouse heater. Me tents a greenhouse to all intents and purposes.

'Me tents a greenhouse'. Ah, fair play then. That's what I was thinking of, as I viewed them ~ and similar. All the pictures actual show them in walk around, swinging cats sized greenhouses.

Mine's a small wardrobe (size) I'm chewing my lip over Tubes. (That's a lie, actually. I have no fucking teeth to chew anything with. But, ye get my point?) Conversely, pondering if They'd generate enough 'Oomph'. People seem to think so though. Need to pin that down.

All about bloody Balance, isn't it? Damn hard to search for balance, sat in a chair, reading. So, what do ye do? Buy every bloody thing there is? Just for a 'suck it and see' effort?

Bollocks! Walked myself Straight into that one, didn't I?! FFS! :rofl:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chal said:

Mine's a small wardrobe

Ahhh fair dos then. Shouldn’t be too hard or too pricey to warm that up :) 

• Like 1

Thanks again

I can't tag or like anyone (love this site for info but it's getting clunkier by the day) but mikeyd I've ordered one of those 2kw jobbies.

Aha, can quote you mikeyd so cheers 

On 29/10/2023 at 10:57 PM, mikeydoughnut said:

On 29/10/2023 at 9:31 PM, Chal said:

I have no fucking teeth to chew anything with.

@Chal, Gnashing in the 90's, by any chance ? :naughty:

Edited by Zipster

1 hour ago, Zipster said:

@Chal, Gnashing in the 90's, by any chance ? :naughty:

I'll be damned! Ye couldn't make this up!!!  I've literally just come in here, after reading the last post on another place. Lad saying about how he'd loved 'growing up in the 90's. Flying round the country, hitting all the raves.'

I thought to myself; 'I was a bit passed all that kind of shit, by then, mate!'. Clocked out. Came here and read That! :D

No, mate. Not to derail, or depress the thread. But; My teeth fell out due to Booze, would ye believe?! Alkie, much of my life. Gave that up. Now, I'm just fucking miserable, as I wait to grow something to alleviate that! :rofl:

And, on that happy note? I'm measuring up for some three core, today. And sending for a plug bank. Taking power to my 'shed'. Someone suggested setting up and trying a dry run, to find my parameters? Sound idea! Only, I do figure throwing at least some heat in there too would give me a closer idea?

Trying to keep the 'lung' warm would be a nonsense. I am open to insulating. But, lung or tent? And there's still the Dehu questions. But, yeah; I'm thinking Tubes.

• 1 month later...

@mikeydoughnut where abouts have you got your heater placed in the bottom or top of your tent ? i currently have a 2k oil filled rad in a kingspan box with a 4" ruck on top feeding me tent and its shit so its gotta go

• Like 1

There's a "repti cable" that don't seem to need burying in sand like standard gardening heat cables. Might be able to mount them in a way that they won't come into contact with plant.

i have a mini 300w ceramic PTC fan heater on a variac, keeps a constant heat so temps don't swing more than wanted.

with good insulation this should be perfect

£18 on the river

@ravsta I had it placed on a lickle table thing maybe a foot high. Just above pot level. 

Perhaps stick a fan behind the rad. The greenhouse heater I’m using has a fan that spreads the heat around. When using an oil rad I’ve always put it next to the intake be it active or passive which has helped. Changed to the greenhouse heater since this is my first winter flower in that gable end room. It’s always cold in there.

Edited by mikeydoughnut