Help with supplement heating

M Pamplemousse

Hi folks

1.2m sq in loft. Well insulated but loft space cold.

8" extract, 6" intake on SMS hybrid set min 40%.

2 rotating fans.

Rad in box on thermostat on intake. Fresh air from house so about 18c.

Room set at 24c on own inkbird.

400w HP's and 315cmh.

Heating mat keeping roots at 23c using own inkbird

Fed on timer to waste every few hours in Coco.

Issue is when temp drops below 24c and the rad kicks in, the temp continues to drop to about 20c with humidity rising accordingly from 55 to 68% (based on govee) or thereabouts.

Trying to get a more stable environment. Would prefer keeping temps closer to 24 and humidity around 55% throughout.

Would a tube heater on same inkbird as rad box help. Would it heat quicker and have an impact until the rad gets to temp?

And what size would be most effective?

I'm looking at the 'lighthouse' brand.

The 85w is suggested for 1.2m sq but would the larger 135w have more impact or being bigger would actually be slower to heat up?

Its only needed until the rad in box gets to temp so speed of the essence.

Thanks in advance 

Edited by M Pamplemousse
Spell
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, M Pamplemousse said:

The 85w is suggested for 1.2m sq but would the larger 135w

2x 240w tube heaters would be more effective in that space. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Woozy said:

Where you getting your intake air from? I get my from the house helps keeps the temps steady

Thanks.

As per my original question, from house at 18c

Just now, Clubs said:

2x 240w tube heaters would be more effective in that space. 

Thanks.

Really?

I already have a 1000w radiator in intake.

This is just to resolve the 30mins it takes for rad to boost room temp back.

• Like 1

have you ever looked at duct heaters - they fit in the intake between your intake fan & the tent port, therefore blowing in hot/whatever your 'stat is set to, air in

ive not used 1 [yet], but they must be one of the most effective ways of keeping the inside of the tent warm, more efficient than heating the groom air with heaters, tube heaters etc

mystic

• Like 1

That's a lot of turnover of air, I think myself  the air in the space is not in there long enough to get warm.

If it were me I would turn the sms down in 5% increments until hopefully it settles at required temp.

Edited by hashbrown
Punctuation
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, M Pamplemousse said:

Would a tube heater on same inkbird as rad box help. Would it heat quicker and have an impact until the rad gets to temp?

Yes - because the air wouldn't cool as rapidly, and the humidity wouldn't shoot up as quickly. It wouldn't hurt to turn your SMS to 20% minimum outtake, which iirc is the lowest setting. Temperature is a container for moisture, thats why moisture is in the air is called relative humidity. As the temps increase, the container gets bigger and the RH drops (if there isn't any additional moisture being added) and the opposite when the temps cool, the container gets smaller and RH goes up. When you get this right, relative humidity in the lights off period should be lower than during the lights on period as your plants aren't transpiring when the lights are off. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GSZZ said:

Yes - because the air wouldn't cool as rapidly, and the humidity wouldn't shoot up as quickly. It wouldn't hurt to turn your SMS to 20% minimum outtake,  

Thanks .

I appreciate the relationship between temp.amd humidity. I wanted to clarify if a tube heater would heat up quicker than my rad in box. It appears it will.

Edited by M Pamplemousse
  • Like 1

Am surprised your Temps are so low with 315mh and 400w hps but how come you set sms to 24c instead of 27c? Sounds like that would solve your problem?

• Like 1

I can't 'like' any comments so a general thanks.

I'm going to raise ambient temperature and reduce extraction down to 20 percent and absorb the extra heating costs.

• Like 1

Can I suggest greenhouse heaters rather than oil rads? Best 40 quid I’ve spent on growing tackle. Warms the room up super quick with the fan spreading the heat around. Think they’re on offer at a few places too. Brucie bonus - no annoying on/off light …

e2a - reading the OP properly sounds like the problem I had. Sack off that oil rad and get a greenhouse heater in the tent … I’m still trying to find a happy medium I’m sat here looking at 26 degrees lights off on the govee app …. 

Edited by mikeydoughnut

47 minutes ago, mikeydoughnut said:

greenhouse heaters

Which one have you got mikey?

I'm currently using an oil rad and agree with you, a proper greenhouse heater should work better/cheaper.

• Like 3

The brand is Lighthouse. It’s the 2kw one. I only have it on the first setting in a 1.2m2. If owt it’s too good. Lights off though so I’m stuck watching the smart meter go bonkers. Need to turn it down a bit 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, stu914 said:

Which one have you got mikey?

I'm currently using an oil rad and agree with you, a proper greenhouse heater should work better/cheaper.

Just now, mikeydoughnut said:

The brand is Lighthouse. It’s the 2kw one. I only have it on the first setting in a 1.2m2. If owt it’s too good. Lights off though so I’m stuck watching the smart meter go bonkers. Need to turn it down a bit 

I've been using one of the "greenhouse heater" fan types from elixir garden supplies for a few years - it even once got a kicking, and its still blowing strong. In the grow shops there is a a 2kw "gorilla heater" thats an orange ceramic fan heater, those too are pretty good tbh.

• Like 3