Discontinued strains - where to source?

Crow River

I've been trying to order some Seedsman strains from my favourite vendor. However they had a lot of issues with Seedsman stock, and informed me that some strains are now discontinued. And, sure enough, I go to the seedsman site and no sign of these strains.

These are the strains I was trying to get hold of:

Ata Tundra (regs or fems if no regs)

Early Durban (regs preferred)

Early Skunk (regs or fems if no regs)

Are they still available? Or are they discontinued and removed from sale?

I don't know if anyone from Seedsman still monitors this forum. If so, please reply here or send me a PM.

If anyone else knows where I can get these strains, let me know please.

Peace.

• Like 1

@Seedsman Seeds may check on here, I don't know either, but I have tagged them (I think) in case.

I tried for months to get some Flying Dutchmen Kerala Krush seeds, which I found to have a flavour like Cinderella 99 on steroids. Then I found a single seller and when they came only one germinated, then died on the spot :/ I think their stock may be too old and badly kept to warrant spending another £45 for zero return :( If Seedsman could get those, I would be very happy - they're discontinued too.

Best of luck with the strains you are after though @Crow River!

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, MidgeSmith said:

Then I found a single seller and when they came only one germinated, then died on the spot :/

Yeah I've had a lot of similar experiences looking for discontinued strains. I must have spent well over 100 quid on seeds that just turned to mush. I've tried a few of the tricks people use for old seeds, but none of them have really seemed to help. I think using Gibberilic Acid is the most reliable method, but if you get it wrong it melts the tap root so needs to be done correctly and I don't trust myself to give it a go. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MindSoup said:

Yeah I've had a lot of similar experiences looking for discontinued strains. I must have spent well over 100 quid on seeds that just turned to mush. I've tried a few of the tricks people use for old seeds, but none of them have really seemed to help. I think using Gibberilic Acid is the most reliable method, but if you get it wrong it melts the tap root so needs to be done correctly and I don't trust myself to give it a go. 

Yeah, it's a bummer.  I haven't used Gibberilic Acid.  I've tried scuffing, cracking, shaving off the seam and germinating in peroxide.  Shaving off the seam and working the crack beneath it worked to germinate the single seed that germinated, but it stuff its tap root up out of the soil and when I turned it the right way up, the cotyledons were tiny and yellow and though it stayed alive for a week, the true leaves never appeared.

I might give gibberilic acid a try next time. It was so frustrating to be so close to resurrecting the strain and then see it wither before my eyes :/

• Like 1

I managed 66% germination rate on some decade old HFH seeds recently.

I made a soaking solution as follows:

10ml 3% H2O2 

190ml distilled water

1g of granulated sugar

Sterile jar for soaking to reduce risk of fungal or bacterial contamination.

The sugar means there's food available, and depleted enzymes in the old seeds don't have to work so hard to break down stored starches in order to provide energy to the germinating embryo in the early stages.

• Like 1

Just now, Crow River said:

I managed 66% germination rate on some decade old HFH seeds recently.

I made a soaking solution as follows:

10ml 3% H2O2 

190ml distilled water

1g of granulated sugar

Sterile jar for soaking to reduce risk of fungal or bacterial contamination.

The sugar means there's food available, and depleted enzymes in the old seeds don't have to work so hard to break down stored starches in order to provide energy to the germinating embryo in the early stages.

Yes, that the same as I used.  I put 1 ml of seaweed solution in there too.  Oh well. Presumably somewhere out there in the sea of growers is someone with a clone or seeds still.  Green Parrot won't get money from me for their stock again though.  It was probably bad luck, but I always think when this happens, the seeds were probably never refrigerated in storage.

• Like 2

Yes ,  Yes and No :yep:         My friends at CanaPot :yep:  

As said before , small outfit,  once a week post lol     but fantastic service.  

Edited by OldFord
  • Like 1

@OldFord, Ata Tundra showing as sold out unfortunately. Seems they have Early Durban, and the Sensi version of Early Skunk. 

I already have the Nirvana version of Durban Poison, which on paper is a similar cross to Early Durban, i.e. Durban x an early flowering Skunk.

Ach, maybe I should just see what results from beans I already have this time... :g:

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Crow River said:

@OldFord, Ata Tundra showing as sold out unfortunately. Seems they have Early Durban, and the Sensi version of Early Skunk. 

I already have the Nirvana version of Durban Poison, which on paper is a similar cross to Early Durban, i.e. Durban x an early flowering Skunk.

Ach, maybe I should just see what results from beans I already have this time... :g:

Sorrymate ,  the eyes aint great    1 out of 3 aint bad lol      If i come across it i will shout you mate :yep:

• Like 1

@OldFord, no worries. 

If someone finds Ata Tundra somewhere, please let me know. I'll probably run with alternatives for the other two strains.

• Like 1

@Crow River, all this breeding stuff is well above my pay grade, but I find it fascinating. Particularly impressed with your Duck stuff.

Could I humbly put in a request, if it's feasible ?

Durban Duck ? Could call it Du-du, as an homage to Mr. Nice's 'Shit'. :yes:

@Zipster   Honestly mate ,  if you can grow you can make beans :yep:       You got nothing to lose but a few beans & some dirt mate

Have a bash  ,  you will surprise yourself how easy it is :george:      

• Like 1

@Zipster    Awesome stuff mate :wub:      Get back on it !!       Lots of talented boys & girls on here to keep ya right :yep:

I love it ,  im more in it for the challenge than the reward nowadays  ,  cant smoke and its all getting dumped in oils / butters but the loves still there :yep:

• Like 1