Discolouration on leaves

Satchitananda

They look worse today. :( 

I set the heatmat at 25c and the air temp in the tent never got below 23c last night.

I gave them a light foliar feed of MagneCal (maybe not strong enough - the instructions for watering in are 0.5ml-1ml per litre, so I gave them 0.5ml in a litre for a foliar spay) before lights out last night.

• Like 2

Aren't you suppose to give it a week, and check new growth for signs? The old growth won't improve once it's already blemished I don't think?

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Satchitananda said:

I am just upset that it looks worse

don't give up on them yet mate ... they're still young ..... so got a chance. As @Hashslag says, I don't think those leaves will recover, it's the new growth which is your focus

With me, all that mag, cal, etc just goes over my head right now.  So I keep things simple and not mess with adding extra chemicals, just keep it to nutes, temp and lights ... in other words the old ways of doing it :)

• Like 3

Just now, handysmoker said:

don't give up on them yet mate ... they're still young ..... so got a chance. As @Hashslag says, I don't think those leaves will recover, it's the new growth which is your focus

With me, all that mag, cal, etc just goes over my head right now.  So I keep things simple and not mess with adding extra chemicals, just keep it to nutes, temp and lights ... in other words the old ways of doing it :)

I think the environment is good, especially now I have warmed up the night time temps.. I just hope it doesn't keep getting worse! I am hopeful things will improve.

• Like 2

Give em chance....you only did it last night......the damage that has been done isn't going to get better.....

Look to the new growth to see if its improving :yep:

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, zen-ken said:

Give em chance....you only did it last night......the damage that has been done isn't going to get better.....

Look to the new growth to see if its improving :yep:

Yea, I just didn't like to see them getting worse really.

• Like 2

Sent a mate some of these images (he has a commercial greenhouse set up). He had the following points:

Are all the plants in the set up exhibiting similar symptoms to a similar extent? If so, It's probably related to environmental or nutrient issues.

If one or two plants are affected more than the others then the issue is a localised one which would widen his investigation to look at a possible parasite or fungal issue. Check the underside of the leaves with a jewellers loupe or magnifying glass for parasites. Run your hand over the surface of the growing medium in the pot and check for any movement in the growing medium or sudden activity of flies escaping the pot.

Observations from the images:

Inconsistent damage to leaves through the layers of the plant. Leaves below and above some of the affected plant material looks healthy. Although you can't exclude anything at this stage, It looks less likely to be nutrient deficiency (although he said it looks like classic calcium deficiency if you look at the leaves individually). He wouldn't expect to see leaves below the affected plant material appear completely healthy as in one of the images if nutrient deficiency was the root cause (again, you can't rule anything out at this stage though)

Summary:

If the plants are exhibiting similar symptoms to a similar extent - Check pH levels and temp in the growing medium (correct if necessary). Cal- Mag boost (but don't overdo it) if pH is within limits. Be patient !! Adjust lighting and temps if they are outside accepted parameters. Airflow/ ventilation is vital.

If one or two plants are more affected - He'd inspect the plants and growing medium for some form of infestation. If that did not reveal anything, he'd be looking at a possible fungal infection (Alternaria, Septoria etc.).

Could be one or a number of issues combined. Most important thing is not to get blinkered and focus on one particular issue until you are 100% certain. Process of elimination.

Sorry I couldn't get a definitive answer. Good luck.

• Like 3

@disco survivor thanks man.

All the plants are affected, two worse than the others. They are the ones I have used pics from and even they are not affected top to bottom (as he noted). The others are barely affected but you can see what looks like the very beginnings of Ca deficiencey.

I have checked underside of leaves and the soil and they seem ok. I will keep an eye on that aspect though.

Environment seems fine, especially now I have warmed up the night temps.

I checked them today and they are no worse. I gave them a bit of Root Tonic and MagneCal yesterday.

• Like 3

Thanks for posting this @Satchitananda (site wont let me tag atm)

I had a very similar issue last grow when my roots were cold temps were high at the top of the canopy and my watering was haphazard

Mine looked far worse as I really wasn't able to give them much time and I didn't give Mag Cal just Epsom salts :wallbash:

I hope yours pick up soon buddy

@GSZZ and @Zen-ken thank you for the explanations +++ as well

Some interesting reading or I should say watching on Youtube and Harley Smith was talking about how Amino acids  (Glycine and Glutamic acid) help the plant uptake Calcium

I plan to supplement aminos (Raw AMino acid tech) this grow to counteract any Ca deficiency - my environment is not perfect though I hope to have the watering side sorted with blumats this time around!

Link- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAaAaeS1aP4

From 18:48 onwards

Cheers

DS

E2A- spelling

Edited by desertshaman
  • Like 1

@GSZZ is right about the cold roots. I had been relying on the tube heaters for night time temps...then we had a cold spell and I introduced the heatmat...then a couple of days later I saw the discolouration.

So, basically there was a couple of nights when it was cold and there was no heatmat. Lesson learned. Thanks again @GSZZ :)