Is this canopy too thick?

David Attenborough

Just now, Devon Cream said:

Your next grow save yourself work and don’t top them so early in life then you won’t have do many lower branches to chop off that don’t make the top screen . Less work for you less stress for the plants wish you all the best mate and hope you get a good bounty come the end.:yinyang:

When would you recommend to top Devon?

Too thick wrt molds is a question where the answer relates to two kinds of factor. One relates to RH%, dew point and air circulation, and whether that (combined with plant density, i.e. the amount of water that the system should remove) ends up with conditions where water can leave well enough that molds don't thrive. (there's always going to be a bit of mold in there cos of outside air bringing spores in, just not enough to start making fluff and further spores.) Others have answered the numbers part ITT already.

The other is bud density through the bloom stage. What this means is there's a limit to how many solid colas there can be before it crosses the danger line. Looking at the pictures it's plausible that there's too many already, and that removing at least some of the popcorn branches down low (and there's a few really tiny ones left down there) would be a good idea so as to prefer the bigger, higher yielding branches. All in all I'd suggest taking the smallest budsites' branches just clean off and rearranging the remaining ones to even out the space in between.

Wrt mechanical support it's just a matter of maybe adding a second net or a lot of yoyos. Nothing a little sweat won't solve. Anyway let us know how it goes, data point's a data point innit

1 hour ago, Devon Cream said:

Your next grow save yourself work and don’t top them so early in life then you won’t have do many lower branches to chop off that don’t make the top screen . Less work for you less stress for the plants wish you all the best mate and hope you get a good bounty come the end.:yinyang:

I didnt top these at all, they were LST'd and supercropped, grown horizontally for the last two weeks in veg. I did a lot of tucking under for the first week and a bit in flower to fill the net. A lot of what you see are branches coming off branches.

1 hour ago, a handful of grapes said:

Too thick wrt molds is a question where the answer relates to two kinds of factor. One relates to RH%, dew point and air circulation, and whether that (combined with plant density, i.e. the amount of water that the system should remove) ends up with conditions where water can leave well enough that molds don't thrive. (there's always going to be a bit of mold in there cos of outside air bringing spores in, just not enough to start making fluff and further spores.) Others have answered the numbers part ITT already.

The other is bud density through the bloom stage. What this means is there's a limit to how many solid colas there can be before it crosses the danger line. Looking at the pictures it's plausible that there's too many already, and that removing at least some of the popcorn branches down low (and there's a few really tiny ones left down there) would be a good idea so as to prefer the bigger, higher yielding branches. All in all I'd suggest taking the smallest budsites' branches just clean off and rearranging the remaining ones to even out the space in between.

Wrt mechanical support it's just a matter of maybe adding a second net or a lot of yoyos. Nothing a little sweat won't solve. Anyway let us know how it goes, data point's a data point innit

It seems to be fairly dry in there, I can turn the extraction up if needs be, its a 6'' ruck fan running at low speed to I have lots of room to up the extraction if I need to.

I will keep you guys posted as the grow progresses, cheers buddy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Military Grade said:

Like others said remove the lower stuff wasting energy on fluffy buds, and make sure you have air flow under the canopy.

Branches that wont reach light, is it ok to snip these half way? there is no way I am going to be able to get to them lower down below the net.

Depends. For me, its crazy dense. But I do a heavy defoliation a day before flower, and then at week 3.

But I have also done many a grow that is way more dense than that and have still been happy with the results.

Plants look nice and happy though, so maybe just run tests on the next run and see what you like best.

Personally whatever strain I run I get way less popcorn bud with a heavy defoliation and heavy clear up of the lower growth a day before flower. 

But Looking good so far mate!   

Depends. For me, its crazy dense. But I do a heavy defoliation a day before flower, and then at week 3.

But I have also done many a grow that is way more dense than that and have still been happy with the results.

Plants look nice and happy though, so maybe just run tests on the next run and see what you like best.

Personally whatever strain I run I get way less popcorn bud with a heavy defoliation and heavy clear up of the lower growth a day before flower. 

But Looking good so far mate!