Is this canopy too thick?

David Attenborough

Its a good foot above the net and still stretching. When the buds start to thicken up do you think this will cause issues? Circulation is one large fan on the ceiling of the tent pointing downwards. It looks like a lot of the buds will be in very close proximity to eachother.

large.WP_20230928_19_49_58_Pro.jpglarge.WP_20230928_19_52_21_Pro.jpglarge.WP_20230928_19_52_10_Pro.jpglarge.WP_20230928_19_51_46_Pro.jpglarge.WP_20230928_19_50_11_Pro.jpg

• Like 3

The green and far red photons, which are photosynthetically useful, can pass through the the upper leaves to interact with the lower ones. These side on views of leaves show relative penetration ability of different spectrum segments.

large.6515e815758a6_fPenetrationcomparison.JPG

• Like 4

I'd lollipop and install another net just to hold the weight, but that's personal preference.

Atb dude, well filled space:bong:

Edited by Banarchylamp
Lollipop at end of week 3
  • Like 2

You need air circulation below the canopy and through the plants from the side otherwise

mould will become a danger and it will also strengthen the stems helping to support the buds,

I don't think the overhead fan alone will be enough.

This my current grow and I had to chop out quite a few tops due to mould until I turned the fan up

and reduced humidity.

large.SSCN2433.JPG

Edited by stu914
  • Like 10

Look into dew point. There are calculators kicking around that turn it into layman's terms. 

Circulation is king, but so are the night time temperature swings. If you can control those you'd maybe get away with no circy fans at all.

I have been victim to my own crimes for years, letting my daytime temps run 30c then drop to 20c during lights off etc. It's a sure fire way to loose big colas.   

If you can get your head around slowing down the drop in temperature after lights off, you'll be on the right road. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Whortleberry said:

If you can get your head around slowing down the drop in temperature after lights off

i use a small fan heater (300w max on a voltage controller) , i have one in each tent, and it keeps temps within about 4-5 degrees lights on/off, they usually only need to be set to 120 watts

• Like 2

@David Attenborough Personally I would give them a good trim and get all the lower bud sites took off or you are going to end up with a lot of fluff lower down on the plant, basically anything that isnt getting full light 

Edited by MySoulIsMine
  • Like 4

I would definetly thin out that mass of vegetation in the middle of the plants, especially with the high moisture content in the air with LED's. The stomatas will clog up and slow down perpetual growth and smell like a swamp. Unless you have dehumidifiers, air con, adequate ventilation and high watt heaters running, you have to work around it with what you have got. I thinned out a lot of leaves in the middle of the plant, cut the bottom 3rd off to stop the micro climate and moisture pockets. It did not touch them and continued steady growth. 

• Like 3

Thanks guys, so basically if I can tune in the enviroment things should be OK?

Temps swing from around 24-26 day time to 20-23 night time.

RH 30-35 day and peaked at 50 last night.

They seem to grow mostly at night, I checked this morning before work and some of them put on 10cms overnight

I have a heater in the room to deal with temps and can turn the extraction up at night.

Thanks guys, so basically if I can tune in the enviroment things should be OK?

Temps swing from around 24-26 day time to 20-23 night time.

RH 30-35 day and peaked at 50 last night.

They seem to grow mostly at night, I checked this morning before work and some of them put on 10cms overnight

I have a heater in the room to deal with temps and can turn the extraction up at night.

I have two inlets below the canopy and extraction from above, so fresh air enters below the canopy and gets pulled up through it. The tent is in a small utility room, just big enough for the tent so access is restricted to two sides so thinning out two sides wouldnt be possible.

Under the canopy looks like this.

large.WP_20230921_10_38_13_Pro.jpg

I have already thinned this out after the pic was taken right up to the net. A few leaves seem to be dropping by them selves, they turn yellow first but dont dry out.

Your next grow save yourself work and don’t top them so early in life then you won’t have do many lower branches to chop off that don’t make the top screen . Less work for you less stress for the plants wish you all the best mate and hope you get a good bounty come the end.:yinyang:

• Like 2