Harvesting Spider Mite Infested Plants

MindSoup

1 hour ago, Ronnie Hotdogs said:

I got thrips now

Me too :yahoo:

Are yours friendly? I swear mine fuckin chew on me when im working on the ladies , always come out itching like fuck on my forearms since they've taken up residence lol

:yinyang:

• Like 1

Don't spray anything on your crop this close to harvest :no:

Harvest. Hang the branches in a dark environment.

Spidermites go dormant living in short light periods, Although, dormant doesn't mean dead.

Good luck.

Edited by Lux_Interior
sp.
  • Like 1

I wouldn’t figure vacuuming (errr hoovering) would do too much to something so small on a sticky plant? 

I had what I’d call a mild infestation. I seem

to have fixed it with ladybugs. 

prior to predators I sprayed a lot of iso diluted to something like 10-15% with no issues observed. I sprayed plants a week before harvest a few times and noticed no impact as far as flavor and smell, but I had a LOT of air movement on purpose. 

I’m not a chemist, so I’m not sure what, if any, iso/residue is left after hours of drying at ambient temp. But it behaved normally. Do your own research there, obviously. 

definitely wouldn’t spray it with anything oil based though. 

just smoke the mites. Fuck it man. They might be like the Sonoran Desert Toad or whatever it is. Might get a DMT trip. You wouldn’t know they were there if you didn’t know they were there. lol

Before flowering I use SMC to control spidermites on a vegging crop. I have done for years its works OK. Once flowers appear I rely on predators.

• Like 1

Low power on vacuum cleaner if you have the option( I sucked a lot of trichomes off with hoover) Then while hanging put Vaseline on top of stem. They will crawl up into Vaseline and get stuck.  You will need to replace Vaseline as they will form a bridge of dead mites to try and escape, so keep an eye on the build up of mites.   

• Like 1

Thanks for all the input guys. So far I don't really see any mite damage on the buds or sugar leaves, so hopefully most of them will be gone once I've chop all the fan leaves off, after that I'll run the hoover over them carefully and then hand for a day before no stick them on the fridge.  

I've got about 1 week to go for the next plant to be ready and about 3 weeks until they'll all chopped, so far nothing seems all that stressed and buds are filling out quite nicely so hopefully things will come out alright. 

• Like 2

Good luck with it Mindsoup, they are bastards to get rid of,  I slowed them down using predator's but never cleared them, cleaned the room and left for a month, grew some tomatoes and chillies with no sign of the mites, fingers crossed they have gone.

Sounds like your nearly there anyways.

I have washed outdoor buds in diluted H2O2 before, this was because of rot and mould rather than mites. Vaping that very bud this week, so it is safe. Should not affect potency, as cannabinoids are not water soluble. I suppose some trichomes might break off, but the H2O2 should kill the mites.

Alternatively, use the buds for edibles and the mites will add extra protein? lol 

I have spider mites on my orange plant (grown from a pip) and it doesn't seem to bother it as much as aphids do...