Harvesting Spider Mite Infested Plants

MindSoup

Hello Chums 

Unfortunately this run I've been hit with Spider Mites, I've hit them hard with some predators and they're definitely slowing them down and most of the plants don't seem too bothered, so fingers crossed I'll get a half decent harvest. 

What I'm wondering is how best to go about harvesting the plants and removing the mites? I've seen people suggest running a vacuum over them, wash them in an solution of iso or H2O2 etc and even some people say they will all crawl to the top of the main stem if you hang the plant whole upside down. 

Unfortunately I won't have anywhere to hang plants whole, it's a staggered harvest and I dry in a fridge, so there isn't space for that.  I also have a lot of houseplants, so they're at risk of being attacked by the little buggers once they realise their host plant is dead. 

What do you guys reckon? 

• Like 2

I don't know man I've never had that problem, I'd assume it would be a bit like maggots in mushrooms and they would make their way out, not really a great outcome for your house plants though. 

I personally wouldn't want to wash them in iso or H202. I'd try and brush off any visible mites and webbing then wash with clean water then dry them. 

How do you find drying in the fridge?

• Like 1

hi mate,i feel your pain! i have had these little fuckers a few times over the last couple of years,very hard to get rid of!

i have had mild to extreme it depends how long you have left to go before harvest obvs the longer you have to go the worse it'll be..i just finished a grow with only 3 weeks of flowering to go and i used predators..

large.382219472_1367175777507727_7032053853310498155_n.jpg

large.381035672_265732486427259_7261986610411767221_n.jpg

large.381056730_337453338659768_6600421206179410885_n.jpg

which did slow them down enough to give me time to flush and chop down before they really took hold.

after previous grows with infestation of these little shits i smoked the growroom out with..

large.51qM1qmerYL._AC_.jpg

then i used neem oil on the next grow and kept it very clean and tidy,seems like if i get sloppy the litle twats will come back.

as for removing the wankers when you harvest ,do whatever you can and burn everything is my advice.

yes they do scamper to the top of the plant when you hang.

large.382241386_1019395396173770_7529440719874459279_n.jpg

large.382241162_145506371965957_7201039151833473553_n.jpg

makes me itch just looking at the shitebags.

hope you can get a decent harvest mate.

• Like 4

If more than a week to harvest give your plants a good drenching with neem oil @ 5ml/L, and don't forget to add some washing up liquid to the solution.

I've had spider mites a number of times and this gets rid of all of them plus any eggs. 

Dreadful little critters that can destroy a whole tent full in no time.

• Like 1

i would seriously consider hanging the plants, or just stalks, i don't hang whole plants. i always get a little exodus of mites on the strings if the plants were infested before chop

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

If more than a week to harvest give your plants a good drenching with neem oil @ 5ml/L, and don't forget to add some washing up liquid to the solution.

Or if you want smokable flowers don't do this :yep:

Why would you want to spray yer plants that late in flower  with something thats gonna taint the flavour of yer smoke?

:yinyang:

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Hazeytones said:

I'd try and brush off any visible mites and webbing then wash with clean water then dry them. 

How do you find drying in the fridge?

That's what I opted for with the first plant I chopped a few hrs ago, went at it with the shower head and them in front of a fan for a bit before going in the fridge. She only had a few spindly little buds so wasn't too worried, but if the others are chunking out a lot more so I'm a bit apprehensive. 

The fridge is great mate, optimal drying conditions year round with no hassle. Not a necessity for everyone, but if you have a hot/cold/damp house it's invaluable. 

@stayup4ever yeah man I've been blasting mine with the persimmilis and Andersoni for good measure.

@ratdog Maybe I'll try and hang them for a while before the fridge, put a yellow sticky trap right at the top for them get stuck to. Does it take long or do the tend start moving pretty quick? 

3 hours ago, Peregrine said:

Yeah, definitely not keen on that, surely the buds would taste rank? I don't really like using neem either, I swear the gloomy residue fucks with my predators/beneficials. 

• Like 2

My bad...not one week before havest but three...

https://www.royalqueenseeds.com/uk/blog-neem-oil-the-organic-pesticide-of-choice-for-cannabis-n657

My current outdoor grow had mites early in flower so I treated them and they haven’t returned. It’s the time of year that caterpillars start to munch cannabis flowers so I’m planning on spraying again in the next few days. 

10 hours ago, MindSoup said:

Does it take long or do the tend start moving pretty quick? 

within 24-48 hours and you'll see them up top iirc

• Like 3

11 hours ago, MindSoup said:

residue

Blocks stomata too , it has its uses but these are generally limited to edibles and houseplants for me, not medicinals.

• Like 2

@sweettooth hoover is a good idea, it did cross my mind but I thought it might be a bit much. 

Think I'll go over them with a hoover and then hang for a day to get rid of any stragglers before going into the fridge. 

Not sure what I'll do with my grow space, probably have to cover my no till bed with some cling film or something while I bleach the tent and then probably just leave it empty for a couple of weeks or so in the hope they all starve. 

Edited by MindSoup

Plonk a bit of hedera in a pot in there, mites fuckin love a bit of indoor ivy .... give it a week and drop kick it out of a window :yep:

• Like 2

Fwiw I had mites in my living soil set up

I shut it down for a couple of months and they've not been back since. I got thrips now lol

• Like 2