What is your favourite media to use for clones?

Subutai

I was just reading through this part of the forum and discovered Oldtimer1s' Bonsai/Clone guide http://www.cannabase.com/cl/pages/clones/clones.html#3

This got me thinking,

1. I never realised about soft tip cuttings (i do now)

2. I have always used Rockwool cubes for clones and then plant on in soil. Never thought of planting straight into the soil lol. 

Is there any advantage in putting clones into a soil/perlite mix over any other medium?

Also i see he was using H202 (Hydrogen Peroxide), is this really necessary? 

Even with using a bag or an upturned beaker to act as a propagator dome.

I am running low on cubes and when looking around i see that there are a few different ways to grow cuttings like root-riot cubes, jiffy pellets, rockwool cubes, coco dots etc......

So what is your favourite way to grow clones?

• Like 1

I like cubes. A bag of root riots lasts me years and i have the tray too, so just pop them in there with a plastic label for identification. Jiffy pellets didn't work as well for me. I tried pots in compost but it's just more faffing about. Cubes are dead easy.

• Like 1

A cup of water is my favourite method,

sitting in a low light level position :) 

large.cuttings.JPG

These were taken at 9 weeks of 12/12,

I don’t normally wait this long to take them lol 

Atb

:yinyang:

• Like 5

I struggled to take cuttings for ages. Aerocloner sorted that out. Ironically 60 quid later it turned out a wet jiffy n a butty bag worked just as well. Aerocloner for sale. Hardly used lol 

Edited by mikeydoughnut
  • Like 5

The main advantage of compost/soil is if your growing in soil/compost you already have it. 
 I use OT methods for cloning but i generally just nuke in the microwave instead, seems to do the job and call me strange but i enjoy the smell of hot compost.

Also, i use plastic resealable sandwich bags and individually bag them, that way if theirs any mould or what ever that develops it doesn't effect the others. (plus their super easy to label, reuse and you can slightly open them when your trying to get it to dry up) 

Edit: The guy above beat me to the sandwich bag suggestion, I'm just slow, not a repeater.  lol

Edited by GreenHorseRaddish
  • Like 3

Straight into a decent compost/coco (whatever!). Get a decent rooting hormone and a propagator with a heating mat. Keep them damp until rooted.

large.20230919_232917.jpg

Edited by Lux_Interior
  • Like 1
10 hours ago, GreenHorseRaddish said:

The main advantage of compost/soil is if your growing in soil/compost you already have it. 
 I use OT methods for cloning but i generally just nuke in the microwave instead, seems to do the job and call me strange but i enjoy the smell of hot compost.

Also, i use plastic resealable sandwich bags and individually bag them, that way if theirs any mould or what ever that develops it doesn't effect the others. (plus their super easy to label, reuse and you can slightly open them when your trying to get it to dry up) 

Edit: The guy above beat me to the sandwich bag suggestion, I'm just slow, not a repeater.  lol

Are you nuking the compost to sterilise it? instead of using H202

8 hours ago, Lux_Interior said:

Straight into a decent compost/coco (whatever!). Get a decent rooting hormone and a propagator with a heating mat. Keep them damp until rooted.

large.20230919_232917.jpg

Do you sterilise the compost first?

I have been struggling with my clones recently, its deffo down to low temps.

I dont have a heat mat yet, but i do have a 80w tube heater, i will place that beside my propagator now

6 hours ago, Subutai said:

Do you sterilise the compost first?

I have been struggling with my clones recently, its deffo down to low temps.

I dont have a heat mat yet, but i do have a 80w tube heater, i will place that beside my propagator now

No I don't sterilise the compost. I wet it through with water and let it drain. I use a propagator and a heating mat. I leave the pots in the propagator to warm-up for a few hours. When the cuttings are in I spray the inside of the propagator & lid with water and leave it somewhere warm but not in direct sunlight. Its all about roots at this stage. If they take I start feeding them Formulex and introduce more light. I have a 70-75% hit rate generally.

8 hours ago, Subutai said:

Are you nuking the compost to sterilise it? instead of using H202

Yes -  sometimes i don't even bother with that if i have a nice clean bag of seedling/light mix but if its been sitting around for a while, better safe then sorry. Pure H2O2 can add up as well in cost.

15 hours ago, Lux_Interior said:

No I don't sterilise the compost. I wet it through with water and let it drain. I use a propagator and a heating mat. I leave the pots in the propagator to warm-up for a few hours. When the cuttings are in I spray the inside of the propagator & lid with water and leave it somewhere warm but not in direct sunlight. Its all about roots at this stage. If they take I start feeding them Formulex and introduce more light. I have a 70-75% hit rate generally.

I see another mistake i have been making, i have been putting cuttings in the propagator and straight under a 150w Led, albeit about 60cm below it.

Do you leave them in the shade until they root? and then move them under a light?

I only have a 70cm x 70cm veg tent and i take cuttings every couple of weeks (perpetual grow). i have an old propagator i could darken up with some foil and tape, and use this for the first stage.

I have been getting 100% recently with root riots, but the thing that was a game changer for me was putting the propagator inside a white bin liner and then under a 25w led strip, stops the light from being too intense, as long as its warm, humid and not too bright you will be fine 

• Like 6

@Subutai In summer months I just place the propagator close to a window on a heat mat. Under a (150W) lamp I'd maybe throw a tea towel over the propagator for a few days. Keep the propagator damp and warm until they root then open the vents.

@MySoulIsMine I have been looking at similar cheap LED strips for propagation and I think they might be worth a punt,

• Like 1