Hype strains

Eldo

Hey uk420

Left the hype strains alone so far mainly growing nostalgic old school strains but wonder if I may be missing out

Any of these new (last 10 years) high THC hype strains actually live up to the hype?

TIA

@Eldo I've found Mimosa to be very tasty and some of the crosses are pretty strong, always get good comments sharing the blunts. I'm going the other way, back to some legacy strains via the subbies.

• Like 2

Quite impressed with seedstockers Apollo black cherry, both plants i grew were lovely and subtly different, one was sweeter and the other had a bit of gas.

Ethos fruity pebbles is nice too (or at least the one i had was) very similar to the sweeter Apollo black cherry.

I'm on a bit of a nostalgic hunt too though so aside from a few American things its subbies for the win innit :skin_up:

:yinyang:

• Like 3

Just now, Eldo said:

Thanks @sweettooth & @BilgePump, just looked and neither jumps out at me

What you like about them is it flavour or effect?

I more meant some of the strains I see pushing the 30% but wouldn't rule out some real loud terms

Ive ran the Mimosa x orange punch, that's touted at 30%, same with the runtz muffin, depends on how its grown tho, I done some mediocre strains that have nailed me and other runs where I think I'm not smoking anything

• Like 1

30% lol

What’s the THC content of average hash?

Test results do not correlate with real life,

as the real results don’t actually sound so good :D 

Atb

:yinyang:

• Like 4

@Shumroom exactly my thoughts

I loved the weed 20+ years ago when I first started smoking but I get a lot of these strains have been lost

Either way they they seem better than what's around now. 

Maybe in the chase for higher THC hybrids has taken over... great numbers in the lab but lost the indica and Sativa effect and hybrid effects just counter effect each other than the numbers?

• Like 1

If your chasing a high go with sweet zombie that shit kicked my arse. Lovely indica high couch lock if you smoked too much it's bed time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eldo said:

@sweettooth I've had runtz muffin from the streets a fair few tim was recently....loved the flavour but some of my presumably less that 20% seem stronger

You grown it from seed or cut?

I grew Runtz Muffin from Barney's Farm feminised seeds. The phenotypes where fairly equal. Big buds with flimsy stems. Decent weed. 30% THC, I doubt it!

• Like 2

I thought thc percentage was how much thc to plant matter ratio. Not strength related. However if it is strong and you have 30% thc coverage, it’ll surely be a banger 

• Like 1

I can recall decades ago ,  herb getting one just as smashed as the modern hype stuff albiet not as pretty or colourful , but def on par and sometimes heavier. ! 

The entourage effect in play im guessing.       Each to their own and grow what you want til you find something you like :yep:   

• Like 6

Thanks for the replies everyone, I'm pretty confident now I'm not missing out so will keep on doing what I'm doing.....do like the sound of that sweet zombie tho

• Like 1

Just now, Eldo said:

I'm pretty confident now I'm not missing out

You're not.  I'm in the states.  The way I grow ( I want to see volume and variety of plants and strains) I end up with a lot of plants in small pots going into flower.  The end result there is that It's pretty common for me to run out of my own stuff and have to buy street weed.  I deal with one guy who deals directly with California.  Most of what he gets on the "lower end" product is what I believe to be large scale outdoor grown crop.  

EVERY FUCKING THING he gets, low or high end, is some Gelato variant.  Or it's labeled as such, anyhow.  Who knows what any of it REALLY is, ultimately. I've smoked stuff that is 100/lid that got me ripped.  I've smoked stuff that was 300/lid that got me less ripped than the 100 stuff.  It's a total crap shoot.  The main qualifiers are it HAS to be purple.  If it ain't purple, it aint good.  It has to be " that gas"  whatever the fuck that means.  I'm 1000% convinced you could hand the targeted consumer for these strains ANYTHING that is purple and they would instantly profess that it's " that fire" or " that gas" without touching fire to it. I've witnessed it in person.  Ignorance in the targeted consumer base for these strains is prolific. I mean mother. fucking. PROLIFIC. 

Anyhow, I've smoked literal pounds of this shit off the street.  Here's the takeaway I have. 

The ash is always black.  Maybe relevant, maybe not.  Depends on if you buy into ash color being an indicator of left over salts etc.  I do buy into it.  

The smoke is always harsh and makes my chest hurt after about 4-6 joints in an evening. This doesn't happen with my organic stuff I grow. 

The high is always nearly instant and very aggressive.  You're are stoned for certain.  But it feels...dirty?  It makes me exceptionally lazy and disinterested in doing much of anything. I get stupid and thoughtlessly shove food in my face hole.  The peak of the high seems to last about 20 minutes and then after an hour or so, I'm looking for another joint.  

It all tastes the same.  I can't pinpoint the taste, but its all the same. 

In my opinion, much like flower time and yield labels, advertised THC content doesn't me shit.  It's worth less than nothing. 

You have to consider that it's in the sellers best interest to flower 1000 examples of a clone.  Take the absolute best looking/grown/fed/watered/cared for example and test it.  Just because one plant was grown very well and absolutely crammed full of nutrients to the point of almost being burned, doesn't mean all examples of that plant will do that.  And that's an example from clone. 

If you're growing from seed, it will be even more variable.  Likely exponentially so. It's an almost certainty that seed form of some of these "cali" strains will be wildly variable.  I highly doubt the seed makers are taking the time to breed and test correctly.  It takes too long, and the money train might pass them by.  Smash two "elite" clones together, dry the seed, chuck that shit in a bag and sell it for $300/pack riding on the names it has in it. 

I'm not particularly anti-capitalism.  I don't get offended by people making money or working a system that has a built in demand.  But it's probably wise to remember that it is, ultimately, REALLY REALLY easy to make seeds.  But it's fairly difficult and very time consuming to make seeds with intent and control the outcome. 

My rule of thumb is- if I can't directly contact, and converse with, the person that made the seeds...I ain't interested.  

• Like 14