Good Afternoon 420-ers

PerculiarParsnip

Hi all

I have lurked here for almost a year, on my 2cd grow and it is going tits up LOL, so first grow used biobizz allmix and unknown seeds, did okay with my 465W Lumatec Zeus but had problems which I think was calcium or magnesium, possible both, so changed soil to plagron royal mix and now they are what we call around here as being proper fucked, I think it is a combination of bad compost and very soft water here and too big a pot, my pots are 25L and they never had time to root out so I think they look overwatered too, I know a picture can paint a thousand words etc but they are fucked, be lucky to get 1oz of each (have 4 plants from bagseed)  SO, I thought stop lurking get in here and get my hands dirty, so now I am looking at my next grow in COCO.  below is my plan.

Buy canna professional coco plus.

buy smaller pots 20L or 15L

Get Growers ark Nutes

Buy a blue lab truncheon and ph pen.

I am sending my water of to GA tomorrow,  instead of trying to guess and will most likely get them to make me custom nutes.

My grow set up.

6 inch extractor fan which is in the loft with the ducting going down into the tent

6" rhino pro filter

few fans non oscilating

465w Lumitek Zeus pro

Secret Jardin DR120.

If I have to water every day then its not a problem as will only be doing 4 plants at a time, so not a big deal.  My only issue is I started my new seeds off in Plagron grow mix they are in 1L airpots, they are 3 x Eleven Roses by delecious seeds  and 1 x White berry, the White Berry is by Paradise Seeds,  I did some reading here so know that I shouldnt have any issues with transplanting my plants when they have filled the airpots as long as the nutes are well used up and according to Plagron the grow is good for 3 weeks?  anyway amd fucked off with plagron and biobizz spent shed loads on their nutes even bought the Heaven which I understand does fuck-all but make ones wallet a lot lighter.

One question I have for those who are reading this and have had their water tested by Growers ark, did you take the return package to the post office or just stuck it in the post box?  also what size bottle did they send you?  the site says a 200ml bottle, but I have a 500ml one.   So that's me now, all done and dusted and the moment my water report is done I will order the coco and nutes etc and start a diary here, oh forgot to add my veg tent is a small 60x 60 tent with 4 inch extraction ruck fan and a dimmable 100w led light whose make I can recall right now, seedlings look happy as larry under it and no stretching going on and its only on 50%.   right tis deffo me now. 

thanks for having me.

PP.

• Like 11

Welcome to the forum, as stated above you'll want to get yer environment spot on before you expect to see proper results.

This is the new members section so not really the place for technical questions and such but do you know what your lights on and off temperatures are?

:yinyang:

• Like 5

Not sure I understand about my environment Bilge,  fresh air come in from bedroom window and extracted out through the loft, temps are okay and only asked one question mibbees 2 but in my head its just the one.

Lights on currently 24.9c

Lights off is 21c

Edited by PerculiarParsnip
to inlcude current grow temps
  • Like 1

Hi Grow lady

First grow depsite the problems I still pulled 14-15 0z from 4 plants, it was because of those problems I changed soil, got cal mag etc etc and it has gone worse, maybe more veg time would have helped but I am not concerned with this grow, it will run its course (another 4 weeks) and then onto greater things.  pretty sure my environment is good, fans run 24/7 temps acceptable for an LED though lots will scream they are not but some will also say they are, 24-25c is good for lights on. leaf surface temp and all that I simply do not buy.

• Like 1

Fatbiy77

I am certain it is down to my water, hence getting it tested, I have read on here that as low as 23c is perfectly acceptable, I read this whilst lurking, folk were raging about Leaf Surface Temps then when this fella came in and said that 23c is also quite acceptable, not one person took issue with him.  So my water is the most likely culprit along with too big a pots for this current grow as I cloned the plants and didnt really veg them long enough, I saw roots coming out the bottom and switched, I do think the plagron royal mix having to be rinsed did no favours, as the plants did droop a lot when transplanted and now the soil I think only had nutes in for about 3 weeks not the 6 that plagron claims, as said, it is the next grow I am getting focused on, have quality seeds and I think the environment is good enough, not a lot more i could do, bar banging a heater in there to get the claimed ideal temps, as said the fella who said 23c was acceptable had some very very good results. 

Coco I feel will give me greater control, proof will be in the pudding, will do a grow diary so folk can come along and hold my hand if they wish. 

• Like 1

Just now, Fatboy77 said:

Please quote those great results at 23c because thats bollocks.

Good luck, sounds like you're trying to change far too much at once to get reliable feedback on what the main issue is.

Do a Web search on peak temperatures for photosynthesis.  I prefer science to blokes on t'interweb. 

Sorry but I am not going to trawl though the posts right now, I will find it though and post it here and you can take it up with the person who said it, the one who is an experienced grower who doesnt have any problems with 23c whatsoever, the fella nobody dared question,  just because I am a newbie, doesn't mean I can't work shit out, I am already ont he ball with my water testing and getting growers ark nutes either soft water or custom, the latter I think will be the one.

Not going to argue the toss over temps, when I am sure it is my water and perhaps the pots being too big and too wet and the compost not having the 6 weeks of feed in them, I do though think the Leaf Surface Temps is the biggest load of bollocks I have ever come across.  nice to get ideal temps for sure, but its not the holy grail, when I find the fella who said that 23C is quite acceptable you will see from his own results he isn't talking shite, as said I have lurked here for some time and it was here that it was said and it was here that no one, not one single person challenged him.  

With compost I don't have as much control over whats happening, maybe I should have got the light mix, anyway I am sold on the coco route now having read most of the info on this site.

Edited by PerculiarParsnip
missed stuff out.
  • Like 3

Just now, Fatboy77 said:

Whoever got 'great' results would have got better results with a more appropriate temp range.

You can argue against established science all you like, bit futile though without your own data set spanning decades.

I don't think I am aruging against it,  ideal would be ideal in any area of life, I am saying my problems are most likely down to my water and my compost, the first grow in bio bizz, the stalks were very weak and moist, the leaves went to hell, proper fucked, and they still produced a decent crop for me, so I thought plagron royal mix would change all that due to the ph and all that, I am pretty sure it is my water here that is the problem, hence spending £32 to see what is what, I will post the result here, from what I read here, biobizz are low on the calcium and magnesium hence the royal mix and I think I screwed up there with the rinsing the big pots, I went from 3.5l airpot fully rooted to 25L round pot full of very wet (because it has to be rinsed) compost, I even got plagrons own nutes which seem to be worse than the biobizz ones.

Tell you what, I will start the coco run as soon as this one is over and we will see if I can pull a decent crop without getting anal about leaf surface temps, just a quick look here and the fellow user here called JamJar doesnt worry about them and gets decent results, I would think getting ones water tested would be the best thing one could do if only to eliminate possible theories rather than ignore the fact that my water here is very very soft (will test it when bluelab truncheon arrives) and mess around getting temps up to get the exact same results I am getting now,  I just thing that leaf surface temps are not that much of an issue and one can and many folk here do grow with temps much lower than the stated holy grail of 27C and with LED's as said one established grower here, who I hope reads this will say 23c lights on is quite acceptable, mines higher than that.

You can have first "na-na-nana" dibs if my coco grow goes tits up and it is all about temps, and I will donate £50 to a charity of your choice.. my environment is good enough I think and think all will be revealed in the water analysis, it was the good folk here that twigged me onto growers ark who may very well be my holy grail to growing much more successfully.  just saying.

• Like 1

Soft water definitely sounds like the main problem causing calmag ratios, there's nothing wrong with BioBizz Light mix soil so that ain't your problem.

Hard water is much easier to deal with when growing in soil, you can just add a bit of Epsom salts because the water is already full of Calcium.

The guys above are right about the temp tho, while in some circumstances you can get away with lower temps it's definitely not optimal, especially with LED lacking proper iR, I try to keep mine around 27-28c tho in the summer they do creap up to 30c on some days. It's also wise to try and keep the lights off temps high to as this lower the swing in humidity when the lights go out.

None of us here want to see anyone fail with their grow its quite the opposite, as we have all lived the hardship that can come with growing sometimes. All the best :yep:

A little side note: potting up pot sizes in veg is very underrated with new grower but is very effective at preventing some problems down the line, and the same with leaving them in too small of a pot for too long.

Edited by Military Grade
  • Like 3

Hi mate 

I'm in a soft water area and use plagron light mix. After letting my water sit for 24 hours I test the ec 0.2 and add shogun calmag usually at 1ml pl until I hit 0.4 the same as hard water area. 

• Like 1

Hello, you will have to post the water sample back to them in the prepaid envelope that will be with the water bottle. It will not fit in a letterbox.

All the best.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PerculiarParsnip said:

(because it has to be rinsed)

I've seen that before on bags of compost but I've never paid it any heed. I can't see why you'd need to. I just pot up into the compost and water it in after. Not much use now as you're going coco but just in case anyone else is wondering.

• Like 2