Hedge row Hideaway

TheBaker

Hey there everyone

Beginning to learn my way around things here, so i thought id keep it lit while im on a roll :)

Early springtime 2022, i stood in the middle of this hedge row and it had been wild and untouched for 20 years, 30 foot high and you would not read a newspaper in there, let alone get into it.It was a nice SSE facing orientation. Large trees to the east and west unfortunately. throughout the season 6-8 hours of direct sun was its max( they might be topped for next season which would mean an extra 4-5 hours a day, fingers crossed). It ended up being months of renovation and a few burst guts and discs, with ongoing maintenance as with anything. There was still quite a sparse leaf cover at the end of last season so little or no plants were placed there. This season it has filled out brilliantly, and became functional for the early started autos, with some photos currently, and a late run of two autos.

I ll crack on with whats happening atm, and throw up a few photos also of the earlier auto run, before july kicked our butts.

Hedge row team: (Ill keep saying it, RGSC genetics are out of this world)

1 x Maff-RGSC

What a lovely plant. It was topped for 4( Learning, through topping at different nodes, with height being a small concern)

It was wind in the willows, now its maryjane in the willows, a unison of bondage.Natures free canes.

1 x Fast Lemon Cake-RGSC

Unintentionally i have give this girl a bit of grief. Topped at 2 nodes also, i ended up breaking a branch of with the watering can. Had it on a pedestal, knocked it off, tried to catch it, broke two more branches, christ! Lots of soft coated wire and i just managed to to get them back in place. A willow trellis was the only thing, going to save this plant from me. Its on it and recovering well thankfully.

1 x The 7- RGSC

What an amazing structure, cant wait to see it in flower.

1 x Mighty freeze bx1- Rgsc

Another amazing structure, a leaf tuckers wet dream :)

2 x Lemon Haze autos- Expert seeds

These are two mad yolks. The triple headed mutant began its life like a little palm tree for weeks and then burst out into three stems.

The second, is in veg for nearly 3 months( Photo period?) and has a massive stem.( In saying that, virtually all the plants i do, i fit a 3 point fulcrum at the base of the plant with coated wire, fixed to screws on the outside of the pot. I began doing it last year on the final pots up of the autos, as the wind gets up a gale here , and it kept the root ball firm for the roots to migrate into the new compost. I found that the main stem began to go poker like and has brought real rigidity to the plant to hold up heavy buds. Maybe a silly habit and unnecessary, and i may get tired of the hassle of readjusting them quite often. Its enjoyable rooting.

2 x Watermelon auto cuttings( i think?)

Definitley going to make an effort to take more auto cuttings next year, i really enjoy having the plant after the original is finished.

2 x Green Gelato auto cuttings

Tiny little things in a pot together. It smells lovely jubly, especially with no mature bud around to stick the nose in just yet

So thats it everyone, ive gotten over the line with a diary or two, and will look forward to updating them as things progress.

Have a great one!large.20230824_181551.jpglarge.20230824_181458.jpglarge.20230824_181353.jpglarge.20230824_181248.jpglarge.20230824_181135.jpglarge.20230824_180827.jpglarge.20230824_180612.jpglarge.20230824_180150.jpglarge.20230824_175728.jpglarge.20230824_164256.jpglarge.20230824_164250.jpg

Baked

• Like 17

Welcome aboard   &   Fair play to you mate :yep:      Sounds an ideal location and the plants are looking good :george:      As long as you got that airflow its all good.  

Keep up the hard graft man and keep the pics coming :yep:

• Like 5

Dude only just spotted this sorry been really busy of late.

And i am honoured by ur in tag pic. lol

Looks like u got some nice healthy plants and are having fun with it so can only echo @OldFord and keep the pics coming. :yep:

Sounds/looks like u have good easy access to the plot so best advice invest in some larger fabric pots for next season 5 gallon or bigger u will get better results.

They are cheap enough nowadays and in wetter seasons wont hold all the rain in but in drier seasons obviously they will need more watering.

GG ur always screwed no matter what u do. lollol

• Like 8

13 hours ago, handysmoker said:

Beautiful ..... :bong:

So encouraging, Thanks for that  @handysmoker !

8 hours ago, OldFord said:

Welcome aboard   &   Fair play to you mate :yep:      Sounds an ideal location and the plants are looking good :george:      As long as you got that airflow its all good.  

Keep up the hard graft man and keep the pics coming :yep:

Thanks so  much @OldFord . Its a really nice spot, with a bit of luck the large trees might be a wee bit smaller next season.

Spot on with the airflow, definitely need to keep an eye on things . The Lemon Haze auto is showing some PM atm, nuts, so i have tidied it up a little for some extra circulation, and did a spray solution with some bicarb of soda. Is cider vinegar, a remedy that anyone has used to combat these fungi?

• Like 3

@TheBaker welcome to the outdoor crew brother..seen you popping up about the place so good to see what your up to :)

Looks a tidy lol spot you have there dude..as the lads have said airflow is gonna be really important and well help massively in getting them over the line..perhaps you can open it up a bit around your growing area to aid this a bit more?

Loving the bit of bush craft trellis, pretty cool man.. also a great idea anchoring the stem like you have but id get some soft tie just to protect the stem a bit more..thin wire can start cutting in a causing damage once the winds start blowing :yep:

Looking really good mate, happy healthy plants, great work..whats the ground like there? I see your in pots..maybe next season go straight in the ground? It will save you a few watering trips as those pots do tend to dry out really quick..

Best of luck for the rest of the season buddy :yinyang:

• Like 4

4 hours ago, murphyblue said:

Dude only just spotted this sorry been really busy of late.

And i am honoured by ur in tag pic. lol

Looks like u got some nice healthy plants and are having fun with it so can only echo @OldFord and keep the pics coming. :yep:

Sounds/looks like u have good easy access to the plot so best advice invest in some larger fabric pots for next season 5 gallon or bigger u will get better results.

They are cheap enough nowadays and in wetter seasons wont hold all the rain in but in drier seasons obviously they will need more watering.

GG ur always screwed no matter what u do. lollol

Hi @murphyblue its a great angle to appreciate the girls. Thanks for the cool feedback.

The access is not too bad, about a ten minutes through bog terrain, two deep ditches to traverse(its on an island if you will,surrounded by ditches), and about 100m of gorse and everything else, to reach the plot. Its a workout, this game ensures that :)

Will definitely give the fabric pots a run next year, thanks! My goodness the Flc that you have going on in that 420 pot, holy smokes.

It sure is a tough game, but there is no where id rather be, tending the girls out in the sticks amongst nature.

52 minutes ago, Idicanna jones said:

As the Geordies would say.... "Gan fee it pet"

Love it @Idicanna jones Thanks!

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Lea Valley said:

@TheBaker
Player…Nice post, nice work. Welcome aboard :gossip:

Appreciate your kind words @Lea Valley, delighted to be onboard!

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Revive said:

@TheBaker welcome to the outdoor crew brother..seen you popping up about the place so good to see what your up to :)

Looks a tidy lol spot you have there dude..as the lads have said airflow is gonna be really important and well help massively in getting them over the line..perhaps you can open it up a bit around your growing area to aid this a bit more?

Loving the bit of bush craft trellis, pretty cool man.. also a great idea anchoring the stem like you have but id get some soft tie just to protect the stem a bit more..thin wire can start cutting in a causing damage once the winds start blowing :yep:

Looking really good mate, happy healthy plants, great work..whats the ground like there? I see your in pots..maybe next season go straight in the ground? It will save you a few watering trips as those pots do tend to dry out really quick..

Best of luck for the rest of the season buddy :yinyang:

Thanks a million @Revive

Honestly, my biggest fear, airflow.Hedgerows around here are massive, wild and thick, so they can help shelter from high winds, but also trap humidity in pockets. So many variables to the great game. As an aside, everything grows like the be jaysus around here. The trees to the east are 80ft high and not a yellow leaf on the tree. It took me awhile, to figure out why. 

Its an area of stripped bog ( fuel/turf) that  finished use a few decades ago. Whats left, is about 3-4 ft of bog/peat medium for everything to grow in that is pretty much a saturated medium all year round. Never an issue with drought. Just below this peat layer , god knows how many million tons of marl, a highly rich in nutrients, glacial sediment. 

You see now how i can ramble away on tangents.

I didnt plant one direct in the hedgerow Revive, as I though id never keep it down, I did consider it until i saw the thistles at 5 ft in june in the same ground. Wont rule it out at all though.

My apologies, as i now see i didnt make it clear, that i have quick access to the hedgerow, from my crib. I mentioned in the gorse thread(the bean list, sorry) that i was keeping a few of paniks gear at home for the interest and now officially, addiction...

Spot on , im dropping the ball on the wire ties, was in this numnuts head. Finger out and get the soft ties.

Thanks for your heartening words on the ladies. They are not looking too bad. Come on Mother Nature...lean on us

The ground is peat, but it has a really healthy hedgerow soil. Id say you wouldnt keep them down:)

In my head, i also thought (back up safety) that if any of the girls got really loud, they could join the girls on the gorse plot.

Thanks for the heads up on details!!

Thanks for the luck, im adding a good bit up now :)

• Like 7

14 hours ago, TheBaker said:

So encouraging, Thanks for that  @handysmoker !

Thanks so  much @OldFord . Its a really nice spot, with a bit of luck the large trees might be a wee bit smaller next season.

Spot on with the airflow, definitely need to keep an eye on things . The Lemon Haze auto is showing some PM atm, nuts, so i have tidied it up a little for some extra circulation, and did a spray solution with some bicarb of soda. Is cider vinegar, a remedy that anyone has used to combat these fungi?

I been using Richard Jackson  Bug & Mildew spray  -  his own site , big river / qvc ..... it halted the pm in its tracks on 1 of my plants.

Not a cure but literally stopped it dead mate.     

29 minutes ago, OldFord said:

I been using Richard Jackson  Bug & Mildew spray  -  his own site , big river / qvc ..... it halted the pm in its tracks on 1 of my plants.

Not a cure but literally stopped it dead mate.     

Thanks @Oldford i will check that out.

• Like 1

That's a beautiful little site you have there @TheBaker

I have considered hedgerow growing in my area. The hedges are nowhere near as thick as the ones in your patch but some are very high and its possible to climb up the inside. 

Was thinking it would be possible to suspend some 5gallon pots on the inside of the hedge so plants grow out of the top. Never tried it though.

FYI no landowners will cut their hedges between 1st of march and 1st of september because of environment protection rules 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mad Barry said:

That's a beautiful little site you have there @TheBaker

I have considered hedgerow growing in my area. The hedges are nowhere near as thick as the ones in your patch but some are very high and its possible to climb up the inside. 

Was thinking it would be possible to suspend some 5gallon pots on the inside of the hedge so plants grow out of the top. Never tried it though.

FYI no landowners will cut their hedges between 1st of march and 1st of september because of environment protection rules 

Hi @Mad Barry thanks, its coming along nicely, another season or two will thicken it up much more.  The middle of  September last season, i wrapped up with a few autos,got off scott free.  I have six weeks new territory ahead of me this year with photo peroid  and feel the cover could get thin at the end, and was considering that green wind break mesh fitted at  2 m ish. There is rarely if anyone in the field next door. Its the rare occasion i want to be as safe as possible from.

Definitely have a look at hedgerows. Ones where livestock and indeed farmers dont  touch, and has had a chance to layer up many seasons of natures falling debris. Outside the canopy of big trees would be important i guess, as they would hoover up surrounding nutes, and water in a dry spell.

As @Revive mentioned, growing in containers that you dont have daily access too would be a struggle and the plants would come under pressure once the pots have rooted out. In the ground definitely. Amendments can always be brought in to nourish the planting holes at anytime.

Its a great window to grow in. Next year i am definitely covering earlier months with quicker flowering varieties.

I had earlier finishing beans of @panik  going(Mighty gold, Mighty freeze) but because of a mishap with compost, early growth was stunted, and they seem to be now, making up that lost time in veg, throwing the flowering on a bit further( i think?).

Ill keep an eye out for you adventures!

Have a great one!

Baked

• Like 2