Tent too small, plants too big!

Older not wiser

Hey all, I am growing 4 autos in a 70x70x160cm  tent. They are at 6 weeks and looking good! But they are very crowded. I haven't used any netting to support them but I am wondering if I should prune them to reduce leaf overlap or do I sacrifice one plant to provide space for the other 3? I have no other safe place to put them. I would be grateful for any advice. Strains are blue treacle (1)  and critical auto (3). 

7 minutes ago, KC said:

You'll get more useful help if you can add a picture buddy :)

Struggling to do that unfortunately. Just picture a sea of green with leaves all overlapping each other and leaves being squished against the side of the tent 

Hi bud and welcome,

Pruning autos affects yields but if they are crowded high humidity in flower will increase chances of mould.

Four plants in that size area is too many but as they're already growing I'd sacrifice some yield and reduce the odds of mould

by pruning the lower branches, that will come to nothing anyway, and some of the upper fan leaves which are either against the sides

or overshadowing others.

Next time round one plant trained and scrogged will make the best use of that size space, recommend starting from fem seed

as you have more control rather than autos which can be tricky, plenty of info on how to do that on here.:yep:

Good luck

:oldtoker:

• Like 4
16 minutes ago, stu914 said:

Hi bud and welcome,

Pruning autos affects yields but if they are crowded high humidity in flower will increase chances of mould.

Four plants in that size area is too many but as they're already growing I'd sacrifice some yield and reduce the odds of mould

by pruning the lower branches, that will come to nothing anyway, and some of the upper fan leaves which are either against the sides

or overshadowing others.

Next time round one plant trained and scrogged will make the best use of that size space, recommend starting from fem seed

as you have more control rather than autos which can be tricky, plenty of info on how to do that on here.:yep:

Good luck

:oldtoker:

Thank you, this was first attempt at growing and I am learning as I go. Tbf my first batch of seeds only 1 germinated so I tried my other 3 seeds and they all did! I will prune some lower leaves and some of the bigger fan leaves. I am away for a few days later this week so i won't be about to open the tent for good air circulation. Currently- 2-3 times a day I air the tent as it does feel a bit steamy in there. I am worried about the pots drying out whilst i am away but I can use the leaves as a mulch to retain moisture. 

Next time I will grow one plant at a time! 

• Like 1

shouldnt be..

start bending .

cut her down to size ....wait a week and bud ...

if that's budding already???

then bending is all ya can do

or thin things out..

hope that helps

Next time don't grow Autos, as with Photos you have more options to handle more plants in small spaces.

I currently have 6 in a 60x60x160

large.20230813_005946.jpg

Two plants is good for that size as you can fill a canopy with less veg time

large.20230530_015231.jpg

large.20230606_234835.gif

Edited by Military Grade
  • Like 7
1 hour ago, Military Grade said:

Next time don't grow Autos, as with Photos you have more options to handle more plants in small spaces.

I currently have 6 in a 60x60x160

large.20230813_005946.jpg

Two plants is good for that size as you can fill a canopy with less veg time

large.20230530_015231.jpg

large.20230606_234835.gif

This was my first growing attempt and I had a few beers when I ordered my seeds so I probably didn't do as much thinking about it as I should have. They are beauties. I can't seem to upload pics on my phone

Edited by Older not wiser
To add
  • Like 2

It broke my heart but I sacrificed one to save the rest! I chopped it down and sliced it up for mulching the pots. It was a good looking plant but wasn't as developed as the others. I thought I would have killed one of them by now do wasn't expecting to have 4 plants to deal with. I trimmed a few of the bigger overlapping leaves and removed some of the lower leaves on the 3 remaining plants. 

I emptied out the soil in the plant i chopped down and it had a good root system and the soil looked good, nice and fluffy still with no dry patches. 

I just need them to manage for 4 days without watering whilst I am away. Anyone got any tips? 

On 23/08/2023 at 5:22 PM, Older not wiser said:

It broke my heart but I sacrificed one to save the rest! I chopped it down and sliced it up for mulching the pots. It was a good looking plant but wasn't as developed as the others. I thought I would have killed one of them by now do wasn't expecting to have 4 plants to deal with. I trimmed a few of the bigger overlapping leaves and removed some of the lower leaves on the 3 remaining plants. 

I emptied out the soil in the plant i chopped down and it had a good root system and the soil looked good, nice and fluffy still with no dry patches. 

I just need them to manage for 4 days without watering whilst I am away. Anyone got any tips? 

I’ve known people in the past do a redneck style water bottle upside down with a couple of holes in the lid just so it slowly drips it’s propper chipshop but might help. 

On 28/08/2023 at 0:43 PM, Greenfingers95 said:

I’ve known people in the past do a redneck style water bottle upside down with a couple of holes in the lid just so it slowly drips it’s propper chipshop but might help. 

That's what I did whilst I was away. 2 of the bottles were empty and 1 had barely emptied. The plants have recovered from their pruning and are have grown loads. 

• Like 1

I love that these are problems we can all relate to, I look forward to the day when we can all sit around a table and enjoy the fruits of our labour without fear of the law.

• Like 2